Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM

17 posts, read 47,535 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to LA, and we're focusing on the Palisades area. I'd love to get some information on the different neighborhoods in the Palisades. We are looking for a house with at least 4 bedrooms. We have 3 kids, the oldest of whom is just starting school. We will most likely want to send him to public school.

One of our big debates is whether to buy in the Summit or not. It looks like you get more house for the money there and the Club seems like a nice perk. One of the big downsides, however, is that we like walking to places--restaurants, store, etc. and the houses in the Summit all have really low walkscores.

Also, I'd love to get any feedback on the public elementary schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaH View Post
Our family is relocating to LA, and we're focusing on the Palisades area. I'd love to get some information on the different neighborhoods in the Palisades. We are looking for a house with at least 4 bedrooms. We have 3 kids, the oldest of whom is just starting school. We will most likely want to send him to public school.

One of our big debates is whether to buy in the Summit or not. It looks like you get more house for the money there and the Club seems like a nice perk. One of the big downsides, however, is that we like walking to places--restaurants, store, etc. and the houses in the Summit all have really low walkscores.

Also, I'd love to get any feedback on the public elementary schools.
The Palisades has had some of the best schools in LAUSD. Pali High has been a charter (thus not neighborhood-based, and thus having higher standards than comprehensives) for several years although my neighbor who works for LAUSD mentioned that the charter status is expiring and Pali will probably return to being a comprehensive. So there could be some big changes ahead. While it's still LAUSD and thus the schools aren't as good as those in Santa Monica, they have been a "better pocket" within LAUSD. The Palisades being in LAUSD territory, even being in a "better pocket", has reduced the number of families living there, especially considering the costs of living there and its dearth of amenities ; the Palisades is not cheaper than SM. (In fact, if I could afford a 4 bedroom house in the Palisades, I'd look in SM instead. )

The most walkable part of the Palisades would be the areas right by the commercial district on Sunset. Still, I don't think it's particularly a good value for money. I'd be VERY hesitant to buy in the Palisades considering that the westside RE bubble is now popping in the most expensive neighborhoods and if you buy, you'll pay more than what it will be worth soon. If you want to live there, rent, as most westsiders do.

Last edited by majoun; 05-23-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,261,093 times
Everywhere in the Palisades is family friendly. It's a matter of "very family friendly" vs "extremely family friendly". If yo

Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM

17 posts, read 47,535 times
Thanks for the information. I was worried that the Highlands/Summit would feel remote and indeed it sounds like it is. Does anyone have any opinions on how Marquez Elementary compares to Palisades Elementary?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,023,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Everywhere in the Palisades is family friendly. It's a matter of "very family friendly" vs "extremely family friendly". If yo
Palisades along with Brentwood are the only areas in Los Angeles city that are family friendly.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM

^I pretty much agree with that. They are the only two neighborhoods in the city of LA that are 100% totally family friendly. But I will say there are pockets in other city of LA neighborhoods like Mar Vista that are pretty family friendly too.

OP: Both are fine schools. I think Marquez might be a little better from what I heard, but you can't go too bad with either. The Highlands is remote but it's a real community there. Kind of a throwback to the 50s

Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,023,090 times
Quote:
^I pretty much agree with that. They are the only two neighborhoods in the city of LA that are 100% totally family friendly. But I will say there are pockets in other city of LA neighborhoods like Mar Vista that are pretty family friendly too.

OP: Both are fine schools. I think Marquez might be a little better from what I heard, but you can't go too bad with either. The Highlands is remote but it's a real community there. Kind of a throwback to the 50s
To me, if Angelenos want to have kids, they should make fat pockets and move to Brentwood, the Palisades, and probably Mar Vista. Otherwise, they should move out of LA and into the suburbs and leave way for CL/CF couples.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:

If we're going to count Brentwood in spite of Uni and Mar Vista in spite of Venice (although Venice isn't as bad as the other LAUSD comprehensives), then the number of family friendly neighborhoods in LA city limits would be pretty large. If not for the LAUSD issue, a list of family-friendly neighborhoods would include pretty much the entire westside except for Venice (definitely not family-friendly nor with any pretentions of being so), Westchester/PDR, large parts of the Valley ( everything south of the 101/134, most of what's south of Magnolia, some areas as far north as Burbank Blvd. and a few even as far north as Oxnard, as well as Sunland/Tujunga and Chatsworth way up north), Fairfax/Hancock Park/Miracle Mile, Guitar Row, Franklin Village, Hollywood Hills, Los Feliz, Mount Washington, Montecito Heights, parts of Silver Lake, parts of Atwater Village, and probably some others I've left off....

If not for LAUSD, L.A. proper would be a much better place for families...

Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 PM

We have different opinions of family friendly then.

While Fairfax/Miracle Mile/Guitar Row/Franklin Village/ etc etc etc are fine places to live, I wouldn't call them family friendly. Growing up in Fairfax for example, you're surrounded by so much grittiness and traffic. It's too close to bad areas. And lots of singles and transplants. As opposed to Palisades, which is quiet, beautiful, and specifically designed to be a family community (most residents are older or with families, while in Miracle Mile you're gonna get lots of single young professionals). Brentwood and Palisades closes by 10 pm while in the areas you mentioned (Los Feliz and Silver Lake included) are late night places with more of an urban atmosphere. Silver Lake is the land of hipsters, not families.

Hancock Park I might argue is fairly family friendly, but it's too close to the hood. My friends who grew up there had to deal with stuff like gated fences and freaking out about walking in the street at night - something nobody in the highlands or mandeville canyon has to worry about.

However, I might add that Woodland Hills and much of the West SFV is pretty family friendly much like Brentwood or Palisades

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
We have different opinions of family friendly then.

While Fairfax/Miracle Mile/Guitar Row/Franklin Village/ etc etc etc are fine places to live, I wouldn't call them family friendly. Growing up in Fairfax for example, you're surrounded by so much grittiness and traffic.
There were plenty of families (other than Orthodox Jewish families) living there when the schools were better. In my age bracket there are many people who grew up in Fairfax and WeHo and who weren't Orthodox Jews.

Quote:
And lots of singles and transplants.
Welcome to L.A.
You're too young to remember when WeHo and Fairfax had plenty of families (other than Orthodox Jews and Russian immigrants). I'm old enough to remember that. When I took real estate courses my instructor even stated that if not for Fairfax High, WeHo, Fairfax, Hancock Park and Miracle Mile would be perfect for families as they were 25-30 years ago (he'd grown up in WeHo). The lack of families there is partially a consequence of the schools situation.

Quote:
As opposed to Palisades, which is quiet, beautiful, and specifically designed to be a family community (most residents are older or with families, while in Miracle Mile you're gonna get lots of single young professionals).
But one can get those same aspects elsewhere for at least no more money and certainly less money. Why move to the Palisades given that it's no cheaper than Santa Monica? If it was cheaper than Santa Monica I could see the attraction. But it's not. The Palisades has some beauty, so I can see that attraction, but Brentwood is just plain overrated. Just a more expensive version of West LA.

Quote:
Brentwood and Palisades closes by 10 pm
They are still LAUSD and thus inherently not family-friendly. What time everything closes up by is relatively irrelevant. Culver City and Burbank close up relatively early, but they are family friendly in part because they are not LAUSD. In addition, a place where everything's closed by 10 pm wouldn't be enjoyable for parents - too much danger of a DUI, for one thing.

Quote:
while in the areas you mentioned (Los Feliz and Silver Lake included) are late night places with more of an urban atmosphere. Silver Lake is the land of hipsters, not families.
I was referring to Silver Lake Hills, not Sunset Junction (which I wouldn't consider family-friendly). The area by the reservoir is as "quiet, beautiful, and designed to be a family community" as much as the Palisades. And when Marshall was a better school there were more families there. Again, a consequence of poor schools, not a cause. Which is why Silver Lake people when their kids get to be a certain age often move to Burbank, for the great schools there. Burbank closes down early, is dull, and the cops are dicks, but it has great schools that aren't LAUSD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles