Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,188 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (28-30 yrs. old) are moving from the east coast to Southern California soon and want some opinions on good vibrant places to live in West LA. I'll be working downtown and my wife will be in Brentwood. We want a vibrant area that is very walkable. We were thinking of Los Feliz area due to proximity to work but didn't know of any other gems in the area. We've been out to look and have friends in Santa Monica. We have been checking out Archstone apartments to start so it would be easier to transition. Any thoughts about location, apartment selection?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Los Feliz is a "good vibrant walkable" neighborhood and is close to Downtown LA, however, your wife's commute to Brentwood will be painful to say the least.

Santa Monica also fits the bill, but would be a bad commute for you (while easy for your wife). Well, maybe not too bad if you can utilize the 10 east in the mornings.

Do you want something in the middle then?

Archstone apartments are overpriced but nice, and as you said, good to transition into.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 13,188 times
I was scoping out Culver City b/c I could take the new light rail Expo 1 line to LA when it opens. Really we are open to opinions in the areas in between.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
If you don't have any kids, then the Westside south of the 10-Freeway would fit like Venice and Westchester/PDR, as well as parts of Santa Monica.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 PM

121 posts, read 282,892 times
A good half way point for both of your commutes is the MIRACLE MILE area.

Tends to be a younger, hip area with classic 1920's and 1930's LA architecture with some brand new apartments in the mix too. Very walkable.

No rail extends here yet, but you could live on or close to Wilshrie Blvd which has the Metro Rapid Bus line which will take you to downtown or Santa Monica. Very clean, efficient bus line.

MIRACLE MILE NEIGH. DESCRIPTION:
Miracle Mile, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are a few of the newer apartment complexes built on Wilshire Blvd. But you can also find many older, quaint smaller buildings just off Wilshire, if that is what you go for.

5500 Wilshire Apts.
Luxury Apartments for Rent in Los Angeles | 5550 Wilshire

5600 Wilshire Apts.
BRE Properties | Los Angeles Mid-Wilshire Apartment Homes for Rent - 5600 Wilshire

Museum Gardens on Wilshire
Museum Gardens at Miracle Mile Apartments in Los Angeles, CA | Map & Driving Directions | Apartments.com

Old 05-24-2011, 05:21 PM

121 posts, read 282,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastatheart View Post
I was scoping out Culver City b/c I could take the new light rail Expo 1 line to LA when it opens. Really we are open to opinions in the areas in between.
Culver City is not a bad option to consider. A happy medium in between both of your jobs.

Culver City is nice and has a walkable downtown; HOWEVER, it has a more suburban feel and is not a hustling and bustling type of area. Nothing wrong with that but just pointing that out.

Yes, the Expo Line is planned to open in Nov. 2011; but it will only open at the La Cienega Blvd/Jefferson station in 2011. Not exactly in central downtown Culver City. It's a good 1.0 to 1.5 mile walk to that station from downtown Culver City.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
I like Miracle Mile and it fits your description, but it's not a great middle ground due to Westside traffic. Both of you will have commutes in the 20-30 minute range (your wife maybe up to an hour depending on traffic) . Culver City is a little more in between, and easily accessible to the 10 freeway.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM

236 posts, read 789,314 times
I live and work in the Miracle Mile area but frequently need to go to downtown and Santa Monica during rush hour traffic. It's about a 20-30 minute drive to both areas which isn't bad for LA.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
getting to brentwood is a difficult task in the AM unless you live in brentwood or within a few miles. that will definitely be the more difficult commute. culver city may be a good option, but i'd still live further north. make sure you have easy access to the 10 for the downtown commute and try not to live too far east of the 405.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles