U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM

152 posts, read 216,499 times

Advertisements

Hello resident Angels! I'm hoping to find the best/cheapest option to get myself from Burbank airport to Fairfax between Melrose/Beverly (in that area).

Is taxi really the best thing that won't take 2 hours? Note that I am not averse to any/all public transit (or walking, for that matter) but I'd really like to get there as fast as possible. So a combo of taxi plus Metrolink would be fine....

(Oh, and this will be at 4:45pm, so that might influence the flow of things....)

Your expertise is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 AM

12,975 posts, read 32,260,596 times
Just rent an economy car at the airport and drive yourself. Would probably be cheaper than taxi and definitely faster than public transportation.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Some ideas I was having:

1. Metrolink from BUR to Glendale station, then taxi (about 4-5 miles instead of the 10 from airport)
2. Taxi to the North Hollywood Red line subway, then get off at Hollywood/Highland and Bus 780 direct to destination.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,369,961 times
You don't want to do the Metrolink to Glendale then taxi -- that will cost you more time and money than it's worth. Same thing with the taxi to subway to bus; it will just burn through money and involves a lot of transfers. If you want cheaper than a taxi you could price out Super Shuttle.

I just did a quick search on the metro trip planner, and it looks like you can take bus 222 to the 780 and get to your final destination within an hour. Not sure about the 222 or how often it comes (assume a lot at that time of the day, but you can check for yourself) but the 780 runs very frequently, and moves along pretty fast.

LA Metro Home

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM

7,201 posts, read 20,933,047 times
rent a car

Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM

1,542 posts, read 5,728,729 times
here is a great link that outlines all of the transit options (taxi, limo, shuttle van, bus, train, rental car) from bob hope airport in burbank to various destinations in the LA area:

To and From the Airport.com - Burbank. Your on-line guide to airport travel.

according to the link, a taxi to west hollywood - which is close to your destination - would cost $35-$40 (presumably not including tip) and would take 30-45 minutes, maybe more since you'll be traveling during rush hour.

there are also shuttle vans to west hollywood that cost $16 per person (also listed at the link above). this seems like a pretty good deal and a nice balance of cost efficiency and convenience, so i'd contact the shuttle van companies in advance to verify their schedules and to find out whether they can provide door-to-door service to your destination.

as for mass transit, i would definitely nix the metrolink-to-glendale + taxi option. metrolink doesn't run often enough to be convenient when you're leaving an airport (going to the airport is a different story). not to mention, the glendale station is 8.5 miles from your destination, so the cab ride would not be that quick or cheap.

if you want to utilize mass transit, your best bet is option 2 as you mentioned earlier:
1) taxi to north hollywood red line subway station (about 8 minutes)
2) get off at hollywood/highland (8 minute train ride)
3) bus 780 or 217 to destination (12 minutes)
according to google maps, it'll take 30-45 minutes from the north hollywood station to your destination, depending on how long it takes to transfer from the train to the bus. add in the 8 minute cab ride, and it looks like your door-to-door commute will be 40-60 minutes.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM

pbergen, thank you!!! That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Now that it's established I will likely be bussing it - anything I should be aware of? I'm a pretty observant person, but if there are any actual safety risks involved it would be handy to know. :-)

Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Just rent an economy car at the airport and drive yourself. Would probably be cheaper than taxi and definitely faster than public transportation.
Appreciate the suggestion but think having a car is just slightly more hassle than I'd like.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM

12,975 posts, read 32,260,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqandrea View Post
Appreciate the suggestion but think having a car is just slightly more hassle than I'd like.
Renting a car at Burbank airport is pretty much ZERO hassle. Especially when compared to public transportation here in Los Angeles.

Seriously, it will save you a LOT of hassle by just picking up a car at the airport.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:28 PM

1,542 posts, read 5,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqandrea View Post
pbergen, thank you!!! That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Now that it's established I will likely be bussing it - anything I should be aware of? I'm a pretty observant person, but if there are any actual safety risks involved it would be handy to know. :-)
the hollywood/highland intersection is pretty safe and busy, with tons of tourists and other pedestrians walking around, especially at that time of day. other than watching out for pickpockets (who typically have someone else distract you so that they can snatch your belongings), i don't think there's too much to worry about.

the bus ride is reasonably quick and uneventful, and will pass directly in front of major tourist attractions such as grauman's chinese theatre and the kodak theatre, so you'll have some photo opportunities while sitting on the bus. and fairfax around melrose and beverly is a nice area with lots of restaurants, shops, and other amenities. one of the best burger joints in the city, golden state, is located along that stretch. and across the street from golden state is animal (a very highly-regarded restaurant, albeit pricey) and canter's deli (a fun late-night eatery for pastrami on rye and other jewish deli standards).

the fairfax district is a really cool neighborhood. i doubt you'll encounter any issues provided that you employ basic precautions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>