Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 29,456 times

Advertisements

Hey. Me and my Mom are driving from NY to LA June 28th and arriving July 1st. We are moving there mainly to pursue my dancing, modeling and acting career, but we really wanted to move there anyways because LA is an amazing place to live. We have an apartment tied down and everything and the time has flown by so fast that reality that we are actually moving there is beginning to hit me... I don't think I have ever been more excited for anything in my life before. I love NYC so much and I've lived here practically all of my life. A part of me will always be here but a part of me is so in love with LA too, after going there so many times. But my question is, for those of you who moved to LA from a different state, what do you wish you would've known before moving there? I'd also love some advice from some natives too. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
that my tmobile coverage would be non-existant in my apartment!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
I also have problems with cell service in places. I live in the Valley, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe just because of overuse by everyone here the systems are backed up.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 29,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Seriously? The apartment we are moving into is in the Valley. AND we're with T-Mobile, just got the Sidekick 4G. :P

Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbizbabe View Post
Hey. Me and my Mom are driving from NY to LA June 28th and arriving July 1st. We are moving there mainly to pursue my dancing, modeling and acting career, but we really wanted to move there anyways because LA is an amazing place to live. We have an apartment tied down and everything and the time has flown by so fast that reality that we are actually moving there is beginning to hit me... I don't think I have ever been more excited for anything in my life before. I love NYC so much and I've lived here practically all of my life. A part of me will always be here but a part of me is so in love with LA too, after going there so many times. But my question is, for those of you who moved to LA from a different state, what do you wish you would've known before moving there? I'd also love some advice from some natives too. Thanks
You need a car and ready for some major freeway driving

Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM

446 posts, read 996,814 times
Quote:
This. I had to terminate my contact (at no expense, luckily) because my phone would not hold a call for more than 11 seconds in my apartment. And I liked Tmobile, too Wasn't even in the Valley, I was right off the 405 and the 10!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:22 PM

385 posts, read 721,668 times
Quote:
Same in South Central, T-Mobile sucks there.

I would say, I miss the stars, I lived in Maine for college, miss the stars...
I wouldnt have bought a V8 SUV... Gas is crazy, combined with a drive only city ugh...
Dont ever dress trashy in bad areas... Cops will hassle the hell out of you, when I get pulled over after work in a tie, they are respectful, if you get pulled over in shirts and a white T cause its your day off, your going to be brought to the floor...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
True, the cops here are the meanest I've ever encountered.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
This. I had to terminate my contact (at no expense, luckily) because my phone would not hold a call for more than 11 seconds in my apartment. And I liked Tmobile, too Wasn't even in the Valley, I was right off the 405 and the 10!
man I was hoping it was just an isolated incident (just got here yesterday) I JUST entered into a new 2 year agreement last week! I hope I can get out of it as easily as you did.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbizbabe View Post
what do you wish you would've known before moving there? I'd also love some advice from some natives too. Thanks
Where will your apartment be?
Where will your mom be working?
Where will you be doing your song and dance?

Like written above, an automobile is almost necessary - very few people do not own cars of some sort.
Living near your school/job is really important.
Get familiar with the neighborhoods before you settle down. Some neighborhoods are very homogenous. If you might be uncomfortable being the only Blue person in an all Green neighrbohood, then make sure you do your research.
People have written about the customs of refrigerators/washers/dryers being included or not being included with the apartment. I forgot which is which but supposedly it is different in LA than in other places.

Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map
LA Metro Home
Go511 | Los Angeles Traffic and Transit | Commuter Information | Accidents | Road Conditions | SigAlerts

are some useful commuting tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles