Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times

Advertisements

The job search continues. Thought I was going to San Francisco. Then Portland. Then Seattle. Then Virginia. Then Seattle again. And now it might be LA.

SO... the newest prospective position is with the Army Corps of Engineers, which is Downtown, near the intersection of Wilshire Blvd and the 110. I know that West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, West LA, Brentwood, etc are nice. But I'm not sure about the areas that are adjacent to the Corps building. I'm certain that there are a lot of sketchy areas around there, but I just don't know where to avoid. Maybe avoid that area altogether and just go west?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
The job search continues. Thought I was going to San Francisco. Then Portland. Then Seattle. Then Virginia. Then Seattle again. And now it might be LA.

SO... the newest prospective position is with the Army Corps of Engineers, which is Downtown, near the intersection of Wilshire Blvd and the 110. I know that West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, West LA, Brentwood, etc are nice. But I'm not sure about the areas that are adjacent to the Corps building. I'm certain that there are a lot of sketchy areas around there, but I just don't know where to avoid. Maybe avoid that area altogether and just go west?
Check to see how far it is to a metrolink or light rail. It might be faster to take a train from a farther distance (Burbank?) than it is to commute by car or bus from a closer distance???

Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
I don't know if you are looking to buy or rent. If you are renting there are some nice new apartments at or on Wilshire on the north side of the freeway - and I'm NOT talking about the Orsini apartments. You could walk to work in 10 to 15 minutes from there (the apartments I'm looking at from our office window are directly across the freeway from the locale you mention).
If you are looking to buy, then there are tons of condos/lofts downtown near where you may work with prices from about 200k to the statosphere.
If you are looking for a house then, yeah, you would have to distance yourself a bit from downtown, maybe Echo Park or Silverlake. Prices are not low even in EP and SL for homes, rents aren't too bad and both have a short commute to downtown.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 AM

15 posts, read 25,706 times
Social D. had some good ideas/places to suggest.
1. Live in downtown (lots of new housing down there) and you can walk to work.
2. Or live in Echo Park or Silverlake (but you'd have to take a bus). Not a long bus ride (maybe 10 to 15 minutes).

Another possibility is to take the red line (subway) or gold line (light rail) to your job. Nice areas to live that are close to these transit options are:

1. Red Line: Los Feliz, Hollwyood, or parts of Koreatown
2. Gold Line: South Pasadena, Pasadena (very nice, charming cities but more suburban in character).

The closest metro (rail) line station to Wilshire and 110 is Flower/7th....a few blocks from Wilshire & 110 Freeway. Red Line goes direclty to that station. Gold Line would require a transfer at Union Station.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Koreatown is closeby, but try to stay north of Wilshire boulevard

Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Depends what you are looking for. South Park is a really nice area and within easy walking distance of 110/Wilshire. Look at the Pegasus, Historic Gas Company Lofts, Roosevelt(where Lamar Odom stays during the season , Milano Lofts. If you need cheaper(and keep in mind, less modern) then try the Metropolitan Apartments and the Promenade Towers. Closer to Staples center = less scuzzy and less homeless.

Other than that, there are no other "safe" areas within walking distance of Wilshire/110. Another option is to live in South Pasadena and take the Gold Line to the red line. You can then easily walk from the 7th/Fig station to work. South Pasadena is wealthy to buy, but very middle class to rent in.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

96 posts, read 220,100 times
You should get a place near metro purple line stations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles