Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 PM

7 posts, read 21,031 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking about buying a home in Shadow Hills, and we are currently living in Thousand Oaks. We want horse property and a bigger lot. We are moving because all our friends live in Pasadena, and Shadow Hills is a happy medium where we can still have a country feel and not feel closed in on (as we would in Pas).

I am also close to a Whole Foods/Sprouts/Trader Joes right now (all within 5 minutes) and love having those stores close by. Thats going to be hard to give up, because I dont see anything like that near Shadow Hills. Am I right?

And would definitely love to hear from those who actually live there, but all comments are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Anyone?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM

128 posts, read 253,086 times
I was searching the online real estate ads for Shadow Hills just yesterday!

Remember that you can't have everything. Horse property and open country don't lend themselves to the markets to which you've become accustomed.

Buy a freezer and stock up when you're in town. There's two Whole Foods, two TJ's, and two Farmer's Markets in Pasadena. Glendale also has Whole Foods/TJ's.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Thanks. Yes, I didn't expect there to be a Whole Foods right there on the "hill" but was wishing there was at least something nearby in Sunland. I did however, discover a Trader Joes 9 miles away in La Crescenta. So thats good news!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Also can anyone tell me any pros and cons about Shadow Hills? That was the original intent of my post, and it looks like I forgot to ask that in the body.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM

63 posts, read 209,487 times
Shadow Hills itself is nice, although a bit too dry and deserty for me. The surrounding communities are not the greatest--Sunland/Tujunga on one side, and Sun Valley on the other. I'd do my shopping and restaurant-eating in La Crescenta/La Canada or Burbank. It's pretty easy to get around, close to both the 210 and 5 freeways. It's an easy trip to Pasadena on the 210, and there's generally less traffic on the 210 than most other freeways around here. I know people who have lived in Shadow Hills for many years and love it.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipersey View Post
Also can anyone tell me any pros and cons about Shadow Hills? That was the original intent of my post, and it looks like I forgot to ask that in the body.
Its okay. Kinda red necky and borderline trailer trashy types even though there are some nice horse properties there. Its like a little 805ish type area in the 818.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,325 times
I don't know if you are still thinking about moving to Shadow Hills but I had the same concerns you did. I just moved to Shadow Hills last year from Sherman Oaks. I can tell you that we love it here. Our neighbors are awesome. super friendly and not the trashy or red necks at all. Mostly professionals in the movie industry, artists or retired is what I find surrounding me. Maybe I live on a great street . I don't know, but I really feel as though I am in the country here. As for shopping, I do stock up a lot when I go shopping and have 2 refrigerators so that helps minimize all the visits.

Here are the stores I frequently visit

- Trader Joes La Crescenta

- Sunland Produce very close - exotic fruits, lots of vegetables at a great price. Don't know if it's organic or not.

- Costco, best buy, lowes, newer center and not as crowded as burbank- about 7 miles away in Pacoima, right off the fwy or you can take the streets.

- Burbank has lots of shopping, movie theatre and restaurants - a few exits off the 5 fwy, not that far. Costco, target, lowes, best buy, nordstrom rack, Ikea, Henrys market, Loehmanns, macys, soon a walmart etc. We usually head out there, Pasadena or Montrose to eat.

- Montrose Farmers Market is great - sunday mornings. The sunland market is a joke.

For breakfast and Lunch there is a restaurant in the area called Rise and Shine organic, fresh and so delicious. Not many choices for delivery except a thai restaurant we sometimes order from called My thai, not bad thai food. Mamas and Papas pizza has ok pizza. We found a great middle eastern food called Olive branch in La Crescenta, the restaurants in the quaint little area in Montrose are also very good. You will like that area.

For us, it's worth the drive and little inconveniences to live in a peaceful area. If you like immersing yourself in nature, then you will like it here.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
globetrotter beat me to it. I was going to suggest Sunland Produce. They are incredibly busy all the time so the produce is always fresh.

Burbank has a Henry's and Golden Farms (on San Fernando Road near Western). Golden Farms is a local grocery that started out as Gefer's Produce Club. (Actually, now that I think of it, Golden Farms probably is in Glendale, not Burbank -- still it's not far away.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles