U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I would disagree with you on that. I have met plenty and have plenty of friends that are.
Given the demographics of the Northeast it's inevitable that in any grouping of East Coast whites there will be quite a few Italians. And they definitely exist in those west side neighborhoods with many NY/NJ/MA people.

The number of whites from Zimbabwe in L.A. is about the same as the number of Urdu-speaking Eskimos in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,530,558 times
one of the things i like best about LA is that people generally don't care if you're jewish, italian, or from zimbabwe for that matter. the pretense of family heritage and "where you went to college" have pretty much gone out the window on a social level, this goes for both the city and the valley.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:46 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Given the demographics of the Northeast it's inevitable that in any grouping of East Coast whites there will be quite a few Italians. And they definitely exist in those west side neighborhoods with many NY/NJ/MA people.

The number of whites from Zimbabwe in L.A. is about the same as the number of Urdu-speaking Eskimos in L.A.
I didn't know LA has a growing East Coast Italian population. I'm pretty sure there would be some slight cultural differences between the Italians from the Northeast vs. Italians that have been living in the Los Angeles area for generations. I know you Angelenos can easily spot out an East Coast Accent. Whether it's the New York accent, Philadelphia accent, or Boston accent for example.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,465,529 times
That's also what I like about LA. At least people my age (20s and 30s) don't really care about race ethnicity or religion too much.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,461,552 times
Lots of self-segregation...

Many "conservative" Jews seem to be more comfortable in BH and somewhat less comfortable in Brent/Pali....which are rather white/"less ethnic/whatever" Jewish and financial/entertainment industry literates/numerates

And given leading industries in LA, where tech is weak: don't see many wealthy Indian engineers/VCs on Westside, unlike what one sees in Woodside/Atherton...and don't see many wealthy Chinese engineers in either PaloAlto or BH or NwptBch

Ironically, many of wealthiest Jews in LA today are >55yo guys who may have grown up in Encino...but don't know any high-achieving gps (of any ethnicity/religion) who choose to reside/work in SFV...a modern version of NYC's archaic, underachieving outer boroughs/LI/NJ (hell, Manhattan is an intellectual/economic underachiever vs PaloAlto region in modern era)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,354,941 times
When my friends visit me in the Valley they notice a difference with people being more friendly and more down to earth. There's a lot of bullspit in Hollywood and the most common question people like to ask everyday "So what do YOU do?" (aka are you going to be a good contact for me?)

Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I haven't been to the San Fernando Valley in a long time. Do you think the attitudes of the residents there are different compared to the rest of the Los Angeles city?

I've been reading threads about the locals there and they were mixed.
20 or 30 years ago you could say the valley was white and more conservative than the city as a whole.

In 2009 the LA Times did a citywide poll and found that South LA was the area in the City with the highest percentage of residents identifying themselves as "conservative"........more so than the valley (or other parts of the LA basin).

Blacks, Latinos in L.A. more conservative than whites, Times poll finds - latimes.com

Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 PM

397 posts, read 824,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
20 or 30 years ago you could say the valley was white and more conservative than the city as a whole.

In 2009 the LA Times did a citywide poll and found that South LA was the area in the City with the highest percentage of residents identifying themselves as "conservative"........more so than the valley (or other parts of the LA basin).

Blacks, Latinos in L.A. more conservative than whites, Times poll finds - latimes.com
Doesn't surprise me. All you need to do is look at the map of LA county on the prop 8 vote and you'll see it yourself.

Los Angeles County: By the precincts - latimes.com

You can pretty much tell where the white people live in the Basin, and Valley, on that map.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:33 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,465,529 times
By Deep South standards, 90% of LA is liberal. It is different that the white population is "more liberal." I think it's better to say that on social issues, the white population here is more liberal. But much of the voting white population in LA is Jewish and we tend to be the most socially liberal. However, party wise, I think more African Americans vote Democrat and Hispanics are slightly behind Jews for voting Dem.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 9,906,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I agree with this. Think about the Westside versus the other parts of the city.

SM, Westwood, West LA, Miracle Mile WeHo, Beverly Hills. Many of the residents are wealthy Jewish and WASPY residents, Jewish young professionals, or other white young professionals (mainly East Coast Italian) plus I suppose some riff raff off the bus from wherever trying to make it.

East LA is almost all Hispanic. South LA almost all black with limited Hispanic and Asian populations.

Hollywood is where everyone converges. But north of the Boulevard is mostly white and south mostly Hispanic.

Mid Wilshire seems split Asian and Hispanic.

But you rarely see interaction outside of Hollywood.

Now go to the Valley. In Sherman Oaks, I see Jewish, Persian Jewish, Persian non Jewish, Hispanic, Asian, etc. all living side by side. This includes young professionals, younger families, and more established families.

Same thing in Studio City, Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana, and North Hollywood.

Lots of young professionals (mainly Jewish, Persian, Armenian, Hispanic) living amongst the recently arrived immigrant families.

Even the wealthy South of Ventura portion is pretty mixed.
So, just out of curiosity, where would be the descendents of the Okies from the 1930s be living now ( or the postwar-Midwest transplants)? Perhaps they have just blended in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or