Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i just moved to the valley from the westside, there are actually children here. i forgot that kids exist after being on the westside for so long. i also heard something like 10 different languages when i went to costco. the basin is diverse, but it's much more segregated than the valley from my limited experiences.
I agree with this. Think about the Westside versus the other parts of the city.

SM, Westwood, West LA, Miracle Mile WeHo, Beverly Hills. Many of the residents are wealthy Jewish and WASPY residents, Jewish young professionals, or other white young professionals (mainly East Coast Italian) plus I suppose some riff raff off the bus from wherever trying to make it.

East LA is almost all Hispanic. South LA almost all black with limited Hispanic and Asian populations.

Hollywood is where everyone converges. But north of the Boulevard is mostly white and south mostly Hispanic.

Mid Wilshire seems split Asian and Hispanic.

But you rarely see interaction outside of Hollywood.

Now go to the Valley. In Sherman Oaks, I see Jewish, Persian Jewish, Persian non Jewish, Hispanic, Asian, etc. all living side by side. This includes young professionals, younger families, and more established families.

Same thing in Studio City, Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana, and North Hollywood.

Lots of young professionals (mainly Jewish, Persian, Armenian, Hispanic) living amongst the recently arrived immigrant families.

Even the wealthy South of Ventura portion is pretty mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 05:46 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
SM, Westwood, West LA, Miracle Mile WeHo, Beverly Hills. Many of the residents are wealthy Jewish residents, Jewish young professionals, or other white young professionals (mainly East Coast Italian) plus I suppose some riff raff off the bus from wherever.
fyi, i'm neither jewish nor from the east coast, nor were any my friends that lived in the area. i didn't know any east coast italians either, well maybe one, but he is old and lives in westlake village. i also wouldn't consider myself riff raff even though i have taken the bus more than a few times.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
fyi, i'm neither jewish nor from the east coast, nor were any my friends that lived in the area. i didn't know any east coast italians either, well maybe one, but he is old and lives in westlake village. i also wouldn't consider myself riff raff even though i have taken the bus more than a few times.
That is surprising as pretty much all my friends are ( as am I) and pretty much everyone I meet down there is.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:10 AM

396 posts, read 906,138 times
Quote:
South LA almost all black with limited Hispanic and Asian populations.
I thought South LA was predominately Hispanic now? I know Compton has a Hispanic majority now.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM

I meant actually in the city limits, so for confusion. Compton is predominantly Hispanic now, but is outside the city.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:

SM, Westwood, West LA, Miracle Mile WeHo, Beverly Hills. Many of the residents are wealthy Jewish and WASPY residents, Jewish young professionals, or other white young professionals (mainly East Coast Italian) plus I suppose some riff raff off the bus from wherever trying to make it.
Totally incorrect on this. There are probably more Whites from Zimbabwe there than East Coast Italians. That just goes to show you how wrong you are on this.

I live and own my home Woodland Hills, own a condo in Sherman Oaks, lived in and owned property in Burbank and Studio city and still co-run a business in Burbank and I can tell you that the valley residents do not "behave differently" than rest of L.A.

Burbank - Kids of old aerospace workers living there in their parents' homes. Lots of Armenians moving in from Glendale. Lot of young wannabe actors moving there from out of the state.

Studio City - Lots of apartments/rentals so you get a lot of people who want to be in the "industry" moving here from all over the country. Very diverse, earthy friendly people. At least to me they are.

Sherman Oaks - Persian Jewish, Russian and Armenian dominated with some younger entertainment crowd thrown in.

Encino - Persian Jewish and plain Jewish. Along with some entertaiment types.

Woodland Hills - Growing Indian population with diverse mix of people. Mall brings in people from all over the valley (Even though the mall has CANOGA PARK address).

Overall, I love the valley, and I love the city. About the same really except for the valley has a LOT of Mexicans and in the city they are primarily concentrated in East, south and south central Los Angeles.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM

I would disagree with you on that. I have met plenty and have plenty of friends that are.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,634 times
Quote:
I meant actually in the city limits, so for confusion. Compton is predominantly Hispanic now, but is outside the city.
Nowincal11: As others have stated, you are simply VERY WRONG about the black/latino population in South LA. South LA is NOT mostly black.

Based on the 2000 Census, the population of South LA (inside the city limits of LA) was 55% Latino and 41% Black. The 2010 Census will only show the Latino pop. in South LA has grown even more (and more blacks have left).

Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Then I stand corrected.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,634 times
Not a big deal. I agree that the Valley has become quite diverse. 20 or 25 years ago it was a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles