U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:21 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,067,747 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to the San Fernando Valley in a long time. Do you think the attitudes of the residents there are different compared to the rest of the Los Angeles city?

I've been reading threads about the locals there and they were mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,466,752 times
I think it's hard to paint a vast generalization of 1.7 million people versus the Basin. I think the attitudes of the south Valley are closer to that of West LA than the mid Valley, East LA, or South Central.

I live in Sherman Oaks close to Ventura Blvd. I am also a young professional. I think people who live in th same situation I do might be slightly more grounded, but still prone to materialism and flash.

I never understood why so many aspiring Hollywood scene people flock to WeHo rather than Sherman Oaks/Studio City. I have seen at least 4x as many Hollywood celebs/players in this part of the Valley (they live here) than in the Basin and I don't actively seek out that lifestyle or scene.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I think it's hard to paint a vast generalization of 1.7 million people versus the Basin.

You have the Studio City connected to Hollywood culture.
The Sherman Oaks/Encino old money culture.
The eight people to a house gardening service Van Nuys/Pacoima/center of the valley culture.
The Chatsworth rural heritage culture.
The San Fernando old Hispanic culture.
The "Little Middle East" Calabasas/Woodland Hills culture.
The stoner west valley culture (where I grew up - maybe it's different).
The Burbank Lockheed culture.
The Box Canyon hippie culture.

There's probably a San Fernando Valley Barbie web page out there somewhere.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 AM

5,494 posts, read 13,315,186 times
Quote:
I think it's hard to paint a vast generalization of 1.7 million people versus the Basin. I think the attitudes of the south Valley are closer to that of West LA than the mid Valley, East LA, or South Central.

I live in Sherman Oaks close to Ventura Blvd. I am also a young professional. I think people who live in th same situation I do might be slightly more grounded, but still prone to materialism and flash.

I never understood why so many aspiring Hollywood scene people flock to WeHo rather than Sherman Oaks/Studio City. I have seen at least 4x as many Hollywood celebs/players in this part of the Valley (they live here) than in the Basin and I don't actively seek out that lifestyle or scene.
Hollywood scene people? What is that? Are they people who want to be near celebraties? Do people really care about stuff like that? Honestly I would rather live in West Hollywoood any day. Cooler temps, better nightlife, compact, walkable, more restaurants, coffee shops stores at your feet. Closer to other LA hotspots and the list goes on. Nothing against Sherman Oaks.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,466,752 times
You sure you live in LA lol. Half the people who move do so to break into the business. A lot of them, particularly from smaller locales love finding celebrities and meeting them to brag to their friends back home.

While the A listers definitely congregate on the Westside, the people who can really help live in the Valley or Hills, at least that has been my experience.

One disadvantage to WeHo is lack of freeway access. If you work between Century City and Hollywood I suppose it isn't bad to live there, but Santa Monica, Downtown, or Valley, forget it.

Also depends on what nightlife you seek. WeHo definitely is more compact and more walkable, but clubs obviously WeHo, bars I would say SO.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:20 PM

76 posts, read 194,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I haven't been to the San Fernando Valley in a long time. Do you think the attitudes of the residents there are different compared to the rest of the Los Angeles city?

I've been reading threads about the locals there and they were mixed.
I didn't realize you moved from the valley. Where are you now?

Regarding your question, that's a loaded question. The LA basin is as diverse as the valley. You have South LA, which is very different than West LA (both in the Basin) just like the North East Valley vs the South Valley. If I were to generalize, I'd say the neighborhoods closest to the Hollywood hills/SM mountains (which divides the basin from the Valley) have the closest similarities. The further north of the Hills starting from the Valley, and the further south from the Hills starting from the basin, the further the distance in attitudes.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,067,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Jeunet View Post
I didn't realize you moved from the valley. Where are you now?

Regarding your question, that's a loaded question. The LA basin is as diverse as the valley. You have South LA, which is very different than West LA (both in the Basin) just like the North East Valley vs the South Valley. If I were to generalize, I'd say the neighborhoods closest to the Hollywood hills/SM mountains (which divides the basin from the Valley) have the closest similarities. The further north of the Hills starting from the Valley, and the further south from the Hills starting from the basin, the further the distance in attitudes.
Harbor area. I rarely venture in the Valley nowadays.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM

3,905 posts, read 6,352,317 times
I've lived in the valley all my life. Though the valley is certainly diverse, most of us here tend to think of ourselves as being a bit more down to earth and just down home than the rest of Los Angeles.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM

7,068 posts, read 7,036,971 times
Quote:
I think it's hard to paint a vast generalization of 1.7 million people versus the Basin.
Enough said........

Old 06-13-2011, 05:20 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,535,235 times
i just moved to the valley from the westside, there are actually children here. i forgot that kids exist after being on the westside for so long. i also heard something like 10 different languages when i went to costco. the basin is diverse, but it's much more segregated than the valley from my limited experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or