U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

We're moving to LA for work this Aug. My spouse will be teaching at LMU (north of LAX/east of Marina del Rey), while I'll most likely be working in Burbank. Any recommendations on cool neighborhoods (i.e., local farmer's markets, restaurants, cinemas, etc.). We moved from downtown SF, so walked everywhere. We're looking at rentals for the next year.

I've finalized the areas of Silverlake/Echo Park/Los Feliz/Eagle Rock, Toluca Lake/NoHo, and Koreatown/Mid Wilshire. Any thoughts on these or anywhere else in terms of neighborhood amenities or commute to both places?

Thanks in advance for your input, Albert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:55 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,467,089 times
Silverlake, Echo Park, Los Feliz are the hipster neighborhoods. Los Feliz is the wealthiest, followed by Silverlake, then Echo Park. Lots of people live like hipsters, but in reality have plenty of money. The arts lifestyle is a hybrid with Socal materialism. All are cool areas. Only thing is they are a bit more suburban than urban. Walking everywhere might be a challenge.Echo Park is still a bit riff raffy. I would avoid Eagle Rock. Not so nice. Commute to Burbank from those areas is minimal. Commute to LMU will be close to an hour each way, though traffic goes opposite direction for whatever that's worth, but it clogs by the airport both ways.

Toluca Lake is not walkable, but very nice. Extremely close to Burbank. Commute to LMU will be about 75 minutes and worse at night, I would guess at least 2 hours. NoHo Arts District is really cool. Very urban and walkable to everything. Kind of like a self contained community. But you have the same traffic nightmare.

Koreatown is up and coming, but take that with a grain of salt. It is still not very pleasant in many parts. I would advise staying west of Western and north of 6th. Commute to Burbank will be 30 min and LMU about an hour give or take a few.

Problem you guys will have is you are working at opposite ends of the city. One of will you have a great commute the other a terrible commute or split the difference. Splitting the difference would be Beverly Hills, West Hollywood or Miracle Mile. All 3 of those are very walkable to everything in neighborhood (restaurants, shopping, stores, nightlife).

Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM

164 posts, read 550,635 times
West Hollywood or Miracle Mile. You can avoid freeway traffic.

West Hollywood to Burbank: take Cahuenga to Barham which turns into Olive. Pretty predictable traffic (30 minutes normally, 45 mins early evenings).

West Hollywood to LMU: take La Cienega towards LAX; the crappiest part for traffic is La Cienega between Wilshire and Pico, but otherwise it's pretty predictable and flowing (around 35-45 minutes depending on where in WeHo).

Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,333 times
Thanks nowincal11 and redturtle for your advice. I'll look into the other neighborhoods as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles