Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:55 AM

56 posts, read 73,494 times

Advertisements

Hello All, Greetings!
I currently work in Brooklyn, NY and live in Jersey City, NJ. Even before I completely enjoyed living in NY and experiencing it, my work has moved to Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, CA. I request for advise on few things from the experts in this forum.

1. Considering I would need to commute to my work located in Oxnard St., LA which is the best place to live for a family of 4 (me, wife, and 2 daughters) at a cost not more than $1500 (Inclusive of Rental and Utilities). My older daughter is 6 years old and would need a good school. If some shopping places are close by my wife will be happy and not bug me to run around ;but school, transportation to work and cost are the most important factors for me now.

2. I am planning to move to work first even before my family relocates, so which are the best places to find shared accommodation? Is there a website other than Craigslist that is popular in that area?

3. I have household things that were purchased just 3 months back like computer chair, table, pedestal fan, blender, oven, kitchen utensils, foldable cylcle worth total about $1200. I would like to know what is the cheapest option to ship these across the East to West. Is it worth shipping at all or just throw away? The real reason I thought of shipping is I don't have to get accustomed to new set of things again, or don't need to run around shopping the same things again; it saves a lot of time and feels good when things are all ready the same way.

4. I don't have a car now, I heard that the public transportation is NOT sufficient at all, and nowhere close to public transportation in New York and New Jersey. Is a car a must-have in Woodland Hills? Do schools provide free school bus option?
Awaiting your suggestions, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,198,679 times
A car is most definitely a must in Southern California. The subway system will be undergoing expansion for many years, but for the time being, buy a car. As for Woodland Hills, got grandparents living there. Beautiful and nice suburban community. Lots of walkable areas and delicious Persian markets and restaurants, among others (sushi, Chinese, etc). The weather is usually nice but summers are notorious for their desert heat and winters are cooler than they would be closer to the coast. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,029,326 times
Woodland Hills is the hottest part of the Valley, and you will need to run some serious air conditioning in the summer. Unfortunately, few apartments include electricity in the rent for this reason.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,182,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingv View Post
1. Considering I would need to commute to my work located in Oxnard St., LA which is the best place to live for a family of 4 (me, wife, and 2 daughters) at a cost not more than $1500 (Inclusive of Rental and Utilities).
That is pretty low for a family of four. I don't think you'll find anything with higher performing schools or anything that is not in one of the less desirable communities of the valley.

A car is just about a necessity.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the reply...

Car is an additional expense for me well I love driving, so I will buy at-least a certified used one per your advise.

The cost of rental is something that will worry me... I am living in a 2 bed apartment for $1500 in Jersey City, I wish I can find the same way to keep the costs the same... any suggestions about locality?

Also is there any shopping places in that region that I can quickly set up things? I will be picking a mix of costly and cheap things across these stories - Macy's, Marshalls, Target, Walmart, etc.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,029,326 times
Having a car changes everything. Look at Simi Valley. It's almost a straight shot to Woodland Hills on the 118 freeway--one of the least crowded in SoCal--and the schools are award-winning, it's very low crime, it's cooler than WH, it's family-oriented, and the rents are less expensive. Check the Ventura County forum here for more info.

Here's a quick look from Craigslist for Simi rents:
ventura apts/housing for rent classifieds "simi" - craigslist

Oh, BTW--SoCal has a zillion shopping centers, including the enormous Topanga mall on Topanga Cyn and Victory in Woodland Hills.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM

425 posts, read 646,584 times
$1500 is kind of a tough budget for the good school + good commute. At $2K you could eke out a 2BR apartment in Calabasas or Agoura which has excellent schools and an easy commute. With that budget, I would recommend Thousand Oaks. There is a Commuter Express bus from Thousand Oaks to Woodland Hills...that might be an option but the schedule is very limited. You have a bigger problem in that most families have TWO cars out in LA. If you are commuting to work, your wife and kids need to get around and would potentially need a car. I guess you could get a bike that you can transport on the public bus (to LA's credit all public buses have bike carriers). That's the only thing I can think of if you want to just have 1 car.

Fedex Ground is probably the cheapest option to ship stuff. But seriously $1200 worth of items you are better off selling and rebuying here.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,182,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Having a car changes everything. Look at Simi Valley. It's almost a straight shot to Woodland Hills on the 118 freeway-
I wonder if he can get a two BR in Simi for $1500.
And, while the 118 to Topanga might not be that bad (or it might actually), taking Topanga or Desoto south sucks.
Or, probably with less stress, he could take 118/23/101 but for normal hours that probably sucks too.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Very insightful answers!
Actually I have about $4000 worth of things like couch, 2 Queen beds (+Bed frame, Mattresses, side table, Rugs, Linens), dining table & Chairs etc. All IKEA stuff, but I am sure that it is really expensive to ship heavy items like these and also at such a distance the wear and tear is not worth the pain. I am planning to sell as much as possible and buy them in IKEA, LA. I am now inclined to do the same with the remaining things too following your advise.

I will keep looking at the forum for further suggestions... thank you!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM

I was assuming that the school buses will be available (as in NY/NJ) and my wife doesn't need a car for that specific reason. Moreover, she might not be able to drive with my 11 months old younger daughter.

I might be the person to drive my elder one to school if its a must and there are no school buses. I feel, I either have to center around the school and look out for the houses or vice-versa to narrow down to an option.

BTW, any particular school is favored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles