U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 10,592 times

Advertisements

Regardless, we won't be staying where we are. NYC isn't in the cards for us, unfortunately. We make too much money to qualify for any affordable housing programs and too little money to live in a neighborhood where we can have a quality apartment, space and good schools. We are not currently zoned for good schools and we cannot afford to live in a good school zone. And even if you are zoned for good schools, I've heard many horror stories about not getting into your local schools once you apply because they're overcrowded.

My kids are still too young to go to school, but I put my kids first... I will not sacrifice their education so that we can live in a cheaper house. If that means that certain cities are out, then that's what that means. If I can't afford a decent-sized house in a good neighborhood, we'll hardly be able to afford private school if we move to a mediocre one.

It sounds like if we move to LA, we'll be trading struggling in a city we've grown disenchanted with for struggling in a city where the weather's nicer.

Thanks for all the perspectives, everyone... I know that the "what if I move to LA?" questions must get tiring for you regulars, but I'm glad you all responded honestly. You gave me enough information that I'm crossing LA off the list (in pencil- hope springs eternal!).

Back to the drawing board... meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM

600 posts, read 1,318,192 times
good luck in your search, you will definitely find a place that suits you better than LA would!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM

401 posts, read 656,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'd give South Pasadena a close look. Good schools, very family-friendly, nice neighborhood feel.

Pasadena has its own downtown, not to mention a LOT of law offices, and you could get a nice 2-BR, and possibly a 3-BR, in your price range. Pasadena itself is also very nice, but the school system has more issues (although is still worth investigating, as some of the schools are good).

It's also on the Gold Line (light rail) to downtown, so it would be an easy commute to downtown, too, if one or both of you ended up working there.

As Uptown mentions, living in a city that has light rail running through it, gives you the option to get into downtown easily... which increases your options for work.

The Gold Line can get you from Pasadena into downtown in 20minutes. The Gold Line runs through South Pas, Pasadena, and soon through cities further east like Arcadia.

South Pas and Arcadia both have great school systems and would be a great option with your budget.. beautiful neighborhoods.. and access to light rail... and as Uptown mentions, Pasadena itself is a major employment center with alot of financial and law offices.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 PM

92 posts, read 167,425 times
You might want to consider Long Beach which is only about 20 miles south of Los Angeles. If you worked in LA, it would be a least an hour commute but Long Beach has a busy downtown area which includes the courthouse so you might not have to commute to Los Angeles. Long Beach also has its own school district-one of the nations best actually, as well as an active gay community.
You could rent a 3 bedroom home in a nice area for $2,000 or so, more if you want to be close to the beach but once you get 5 miles away prices drop.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,565,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Having lived in both places I see your problem understanding what was said.

It's simple, you don't understand how people in the LA area view people moving in from the East, the person responding to you apparently does.

In NYC people moving to the City and looking for a job are treated like anyone else. In LA and the surrounding areas you will be known as a "Transient".

Transients= no job, new to the area, etc. are treated like second class citizens. People may tell you in interviews that you are a transient and that means that you likely won't stay. Anything you say about that will be discounted. This actually happened to me multiple times. However, there is good news. Once you finally do get a job, and an actual address, not a hotel, you will be a resident. You will notice the difference in how you are treated. I did. The ridiculous part is that it seems like most people in LA came from some other place.

If you buy a home, it really gets funny. Most people in the LA area rent. That is because home prices are high, even now. When people ask your address and you don't provide an apartment number, they will ask you for it. When you explain that you live in a home, not an apartment, they will actually apologize, sometimes profusely, for mistakenly assuming you live in an apartment. This never happened to me in NYC or the surrounding areas.
To the OP- I haven't found any of the above to be accurate in my experience. Please realize this is one person's opinion and may be very skewed. I'm an ex-New-Yorker myself who's lived here for 20 years now and and none of that rings true at all. My experience with work is that employers assume I'm smarter, more sophisticated and will work harder because I'm a New Yorker. Schools will be a problem because LA Unified School District is a disaster.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
All of your concerns seem to be surrounding your living arrangements, but you have children and their education cannot be entrusted to the LA Unified School District.

Unless you can afford to keep your kids out of the LA Unified School District schools I suggest that you stay where you are.

A private school here can cost up to and above $40,000 per school year.

You should be investigating school districts FIRST and their performance before you decide on any neighborhood and allow that to dictate where you live.

Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in Los Angeles, CA | GreatSchools
Come out to Thousand Oaks in Ventura County. Great schools and a wonderful place to be a kid!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You may well discover the housing price premium for the better school districts is high enough to warrant living in a non-premium school district neighborhood and sending your kids to private school.

At the end of the day, there are precious few things we as parents do that have a direct impact on our children. One of those is choosing what schools we send our kids to. By virtue of deciding that (because of where we choose to live), we are determining the universe of potential friends. We determine the population from which our kids will choose their peers.

Don't skimp on the kids.

Hear, Hear!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,805,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
How is that helping? Look at all the immigrants in LA (like myself) who compete with Americans everyday and get jobs.

A lot of companies have admitted to me that they like that i'm NOT from California because they feel I'm more punctual and work harder whereas many (not all) Californians are too laid back.
I don't get it that you don't get it.

Everything else being equal, who does Mr. Employer hire, someone local or someone from out of state?

People will tell you whatever you want to hear.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,805,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytoleavenyc View Post
I know that the "what if I move to LA?" questions must get tiring for you regulars,
It isn't for me. I like CDF. I learn a lot. And besides, if we didn't like responding (and injecting humor and having fun and joking around with people) we wouldn't be doing this.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytoleavenyc View Post
Regardless, we won't be staying where we are. NYC isn't in the cards for us, unfortunately. We make too much money to qualify for any affordable housing programs and too little money to live in a neighborhood where we can have a quality apartment, space and good schools. We are not currently zoned for good schools and we cannot afford to live in a good school zone. And even if you are zoned for good schools, I've heard many horror stories about not getting into your local schools once you apply because they're overcrowded.

My kids are still too young to go to school, but I put my kids first... I will not sacrifice their education so that we can live in a cheaper house. If that means that certain cities are out, then that's what that means. If I can't afford a decent-sized house in a good neighborhood, we'll hardly be able to afford private school if we move to a mediocre one.

It sounds like if we move to LA, we'll be trading struggling in a city we've grown disenchanted with for struggling in a city where the weather's nicer.

Thanks for all the perspectives, everyone... I know that the "what if I move to LA?" questions must get tiring for you regulars, but I'm glad you all responded honestly. You gave me enough information that I'm crossing LA off the list (in pencil- hope springs eternal!).

Back to the drawing board... meh.
Life is easier in Southern California than New York. It's much less stressful and that's why I moved out here 20 years ago with my 2-year old. And everybody here is from somewhere else. It's so rare that I ever meet anyone who was born and raised in California, much less born and raised in L.A. There's so many New Yorker's here and so many who admire the chic intellectual coolness of New Yorker's that you'll be comfortable in no time. You will have to learn how to cross the street on the green light instead of when you feel the time is right and you'll have to get used to people smiling at you, saying hello and trying to be helpful to you on the street and in stores and businesses. And don't under-estimate what constant warmth and sunshine can do for melting the perma-frost in your New York City bones. Message me if I can help in any way. I know what you're feeling. I've been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or