U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM

121 posts, read 305,061 times

Advertisements

Bloody Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
began when two police officers, Julius Trojanowski and Nelson Brownson responded to a report of minors drinking. They arrived at the Showboat Bar on Riverside Drive where they found Daniel Rodela, Elias Rodela, Jack Wilson, William Wilson, Raymond Marquez, Manuel Hernandez, and Eddie Nora. All seven provided ID proving that they were above the legal drinking age; however the officers demanded that they leave. When they refused, the officers tried to forcibly remove them, causing a fight to break out in the bar’s parking lot.Outnumbered, the police officers left with a black eye, and a cut requiring stitches

Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM

16,627 posts, read 34,706,834 times
Wow! How topical.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 PM

YouTube - ‪LA Confidential - Bloody Christmas‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,682,602 times
Bloody Xmas was nothing compared to this:

Sleepy Lagoon murder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_Suit_Riots

Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,716,874 times

An awesome scene from one of my favorite movies! Here's another great scene from "LA Confidential", the scene where Exley and White interrogate the suspects trying to find out where they keep a girl they kidnapped from Boyle Heights. LAPD don't do this no more!...or do they??

Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM

199 posts, read 432,303 times
bluem3hatch, I don't know what prompted you to post about Bloody Christmas, but any excuse for a little L.A.Confidential will do. It's one of my top favorite movies set in L.A., and Curtis Hanson did an incredible job of bringing James Ellroy's book to screen. I've read that in his pitch to potential financiers, Hanson used old photographs of L.A. Also, he didn't want the men constantly wearing hats because he felt it would be distracting.

Thanks to you and yamota for posting clips. The interrogation scene is riveting--from Exley playing brilliantly playing the suspects against one another to Bud White's losing it over the woman held captive.

Too bad Hanson didn't take control of Ellroy's The Black Dahlia, a big disappointment for me even though I usually like Brian De Palma's work.

I don't have cable right now, and one of the shows I miss is Ellroy's L.A.:City of Demons. So campy!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,716,874 times
I also hear Curtis Hanson had a hard time finding locations since there's very little of LA left that still looks like it did in the late 40s, but there's a great extra feature in the DVD where you can go to many of the locations in the movie and Curtis Hanson explains how they found it, where it's located, etc., like the Formosa cafe on Santa Monica blvd., or the Frolic room next to the Pantages theater in Hollywood

Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM

199 posts, read 432,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I also hear Curtis Hanson had a hard time finding locations since there's very little of LA left that still looks like it did in the late 40s, but there's a great extra feature in the DVD where you can go to many of the locations in the movie and Curtis Hanson explains how they found it, where it's located, etc., like the Formosa cafe on Santa Monica blvd., or the Frolic room next to the Pantages theater in Hollywood
Yes, you're right, yamota! I'm going to have to watch the special features again. I have the original DVD and the 10th anniversary special edition (). I really am a bit obsessive about this film. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten at the Formosa and thought about the funny scene with Lana Turner.

Also, there's a good interview with Hanson here: SPLICEDwire: Curtis Hanson interview

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Early on the morning of December 25, 1951, officers of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) severely beat seven young men, five of whom were of Mexican descent. All the beatings took place after officers had the victims in custody. Much of the violence occurred at the central city jail where over 100 had gathered for a Christmas party. Responding to false rumors that a fellow officer had lost an eye in a brawl with the young men, drunken policemen fought with each other and slipped on the victims' blood to beat, batter, knee, and kick the prisoners. One of the victims later testified that officers kicked him so hard on the temple that the whole side of his head became temporarily paralyzed. Others suffered punctured bladders and kidneys.' All survived, but disclosure of the beatings created a controversy over the issues of police brutality and accountability to civilian control that captivated Los Angeles for al-most a year. The Christmas morning beatings and the discord that followed became known in the oral traditions of both the Los Angeles Mexican American community and the LAPD as "Bloody Christmas" and were dramatized in the 1998 motion picture L.A. Confidential. The Bloody Christmas controversy resulted from a confluence of forces that were at work in Los Angeles at mid-century. As a result of the appointment of William H. Parker as chief of police, the LAPD had just embarked on a reform campaign based on the police professionalism model that stressed police autonomy in internal disciplinary matters. At the same time, a newly insurgent Mexican American civil rights movement had made ending police misconduct and holding the LAPD more publicly accountable among its highest priorities. Mexican American community leaders therefore moved to force a thorough and impartial investigation into the Christmas morning beatings. Those efforts proved at least partially successful. The county grand jury investigated the beatings and brought indictments against eight officers. Human relations groups, which municipalities had developed in the previous decade to deal with inter-ethnic conflict, held public hearings and issued reports calling for civilian control over LAPD discipline. Local newspapers took up the issue of police brutality, and, for a time, the negative publicity seemingly threatened both the administration of recently appointed Chief Parker and the as-yet untested autonomy of the LAPD.

source: http://www.simonejoyaux.com/e107_files/downloads/BloodyChristmas.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,734,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3hatch View Post
source: http://www.simonejoyaux.com/e107_files/downloads/BloodyChristmas.pdf (broken link)
A shame that didn't topple Parker. L.A. would have been a much better place had Bloody Christmas forced him out of the LAPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles