Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I'm always suspicious of anyone who just joined this forum and start off with a negative thread. Who are there, have they posted under another ID? Troll? It seems as though these same type of threads pop up quite often with the same venom that makes me questioned their motive.

I'm okay with a city not being for their cup of tea, but when you read stuff like whats posted always raise my suspicion.

I agree, and I don't care where you go you can't sum up a place up in a few days.

Gee, LA is spread out? Who knew?

The thing is there is a great freeway system that connects you to wherever you want to go.

But it is called research. And with the Internet today there is no excuse not to be able to plan a trip well.

If the post is even true, it sounds like they didn't plan well and it is LA's fault they had a bad time.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterFan View Post
I did a lot of researching in to Los Angeles. We have been basically all over it. I didn't put everywhere we went to down on the first thread but we did check out Santa Monica and Long Beach. Santa Monica wasn't great. The only place we enjoyed was Long Beach.

We're both in Atlanta now and we have visited Six Flags, World of Coca Cola, The Georgia Aquarium, Stone Mountain, The High Museum of Art, Piedmont Park, We toured the CNN HQ, and we're only here a couple of days and we don't want to leave the place. Also the locals are very friendly to tourists unlike most in LA. Much better than LA if you ask me. I would never in my whole life go back to LA. And a few locals we spoke to in LA were shocked that we even traveled all the way from Ireland to go there.
And how do you like the humidity in Atlanta? You can't beat the CA weather, although June can be overcast with June Gloom it beats walking around in a sauna.

93 degrees with 90% humidity is just lovely.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
All I can say is that I lived seven of the best years of my life in LA and when I left I hadn't even scratched the surface of all there is to do/see there.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:14 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,199 times
"I was so hyped up and so was my wife."

Perhaps you were overly hyped because you, like most everyone else, has been watching an L.A. that only exists on television and in the movies. I remember being asked by a French tourist where "Baywatch Beach" was, and I could imagine him thinking he was going to cruise over and see Pamela Anderson bouncing along the coastline. When I politely told him Baywatch was not a real place, he must have thought I was being a jerk because he turned and left without saying anything.

Southern California is enormous in terms of population and geography. Its attractions are not conveniently located within five minutes of LAX. It is unfortunate that you did not know any locals who could have shown you the "real" L.A. instead of the crappy tourist "attractions" you fell into.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterFan View Post
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles
I lived in Los Angeles for 8 years and I tend to agree with you. Most of the attractions that I enjoyed were "everyday" things like walking Sta Monica beach, bicycling, locating trivial things like stars' grave sites, homes, old style movie theaters. Griffith Park Planetarium attracts folks from all over Los angeles- all for just $7/person and free parking. You could have gone to Olvera St (inexpensive), Huntington Library in San Marino, Gene Autry museum, Venice Bch, OJ's & Nicole Simpson's homes, Florence & Normandie intersection. But LA is also quite expensive for hotels and the traffic/crowds much too menacing for an out of towner. It's hard to see so much in a short time period.

Last edited by wehotex; 06-18-2011 at 07:30 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM

199 posts, read 546,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
All I can say is that I lived seven of the best years of my life in LA and when I left I hadn't even scratched the surface of all there is to do/see there.
This is how I felt after living in L.A for five years and then having to leave (family issues). Heck, I never even got to do my donut crawl.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
I gotta ask: do tourists really come here to see where Nicole Simpson was murdered, or where the '92 riots took place? That would be like going to NYC to see where Kitty Genovese was murdered (or John Lennon, for that matter). I can barely scrape up enough money for a weekend out of town and cannot imagine scrimping and saving for a ghoulish crime tour vacation. Then again, we locals are probably immune to these things, having been subjected to so much crappy media coverage for so many years. The media never knows what to make of us, so they throw in everything but the kitchen sink.

As a local, I feel 'touristy' when I hop the train to Pasadena, or Hollywood, not to mention the occasional mini-tour of the HOllywood sign or the Coliseum for visiting relatives. I have yet to field a request for a tour of the Spahn Ranch, or the Bellevue Apts, or the place Sam Cooke was shot, etc.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 PM

30 posts, read 105,954 times
Don't forget The Getty.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 PM

13 posts, read 9,543 times
LA is definitely spread out and a lot of crappy areas( thanks to non-whites). However, most of the places that you see on TV are by far not the best places to visit. Beauty of LA is all the places that tourists have never heard of. There are a lot of beautiful places in SOuthbay, for instance, all the Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan beaches, palos verdes. Then there's orange county, which is LA metro, so technically LA. I'd say Santa Monica is one of the best places in USA as well. But I understand, for a tourist LA can look crappy. It is really spread out and transportation sucks, whether u drive a car or use a public transportation. Most of California cities's beauty comes from the nature. Cities in CA have little to offer. If it wasn't for the climate and nature then the 3 of the most beautiful cities in the world wouldn't be in CA. By that I mean SD, LA and SFC and a bunch of other small cities like Oceanside or Malibu

Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheDonny View Post
LA is definitely spread out and a lot of crappy areas( thanks to non-whites). However, most of the places that you see on TV are by far not the best places to visit. Beauty of LA is all the places that tourists have never heard of.
Ok...JohnnyTheIdiot: With David Duke as your hero (as stated on your profile), maybe you should move to Louisiana where Mr. Duke is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles