Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,538,609 times

Advertisements

LA isn't as obvious in displaying its points of interest like my city. You really need to invest in a good guidebook, get both a detailed paper map and a GPS and do some homework. Its on par with visiting a small country both in population and size, so don't expect the interesting sights to just jump out at you (you also need a week at least to even scratch the surface). Another idea is to narrow down things that interest you personally. Are you a lounging-at-the-beach person? Go at the appropriate time of the year then (generally July to October). Are you interested in California history and architecture? LA has tons of places to see and photograph. Do you like theme parks? There are five major ones, plus a good aquarium. Do you like shopping and dining? LA will keep you busy for days. Again, its important to do some pre-trip research and narrow the list down. If you only have a few days you'll just get frustrated (and sick of freeways) trying to run around to far-flung locations and "do it all".

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,828,411 times
I don't think LA is necessarily overrated as a tourist destination, but I do think people come here with unattainable expectations of what LA will be like. LA, in my opinion, is a very difficult town to be a tourist in because the attractions are spread out and not well connected by public transit. To enjoy a short visit here, it takes lots of research and prep. You can't just wander around the city like you can in NYC, Chicago, or SF. However, if you do your research, you can have an array of experiences here from the beaches, to the mountains, to the museums, to the neighborhoods, and everything in between.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:12 PM

199 posts, read 544,469 times
MunsterFan, it sounds like you really didn't do any planning before you went to the second largest city in the United States.

Look at the list that Senshi gave you. How many of those things did you do? What about the Hollywood Bowl? Did you even go by there? Heck just riding around looking at the architecture of the city is fascinating.

I have to wonder what you're seeing in Atlanta. Six Flags and the World of Coca Cola?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,433,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterFan View Post
...we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles
Good. Tell everyone you know.

[it's crowded enough as it is]

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM

60 posts, read 93,997 times
Quote:
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles
Have u been to Santa Monica, Malibu, Disneyland, Laguna Beach///????etc. ...Los Angeles County and OC are great...
Ill give u that Hollywood aint really great, but why dont u go to Beverly Hills, Bel Air?
I mean...if LA aint great, than where else???

Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,828,411 times
I like Hollywood... but maybe that's just because I remember how nasty it was not too long ago. It's fun to see the improvement. Besides, Cirque Du Soleil is setting up permanent residence in the Kodak theatre here pretty soon.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,582,688 times
Quote:
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles

You

should have checked with us before you visited. We could have helped you out.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
vop

62 posts, read 103,674 times
One has to be pretty lame of a person if you can't find interesting things to do in LA, BTW OP where are you from? If you think LA is boring I would love to visit the paradise that you reside in.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM

672 posts, read 2,170,743 times
The OP said that they stayed a week in LA. Back in my backpacker days, I always found that a week in a city was an awkward amount of time: it is either too long and too short.

LA is not a place to 'see', it is a place to 'do'. Tell me what you like to do, and we can make that happen.

If all you want to do is see something that you haven't seen in another city, then, yeah, Hollywood Blvd, Griffith Park, the Getty, and Venice Beach, should take about two days. And it isn't that easy to get around between those places.

Beyond a couple of days as a tourist, you need to get involved in some sort of activity or try to make a connection to the local culture.

When I backpacked Europe back in my college days, sometimes I didn't have energy to find an activity in the towns I'd visit. For some of them, we'd just get the cathedral photo, hit the museum trip, and then back to the train. And if that is how you try to experience Los Angeles, then you're going to find it an unexcpetional place.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM

600 posts, read 1,465,913 times
You sound like someone who has watched too many movies and filled their visit with all the tourist traps (most of which are honestly fun places in my opinion). Did you visit any beaches or museums (Natural History, Norton Simon, etc.) or take a drive up PCH? Did you research your trip into visiting LA at all or just go by what you see on TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles