U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have never visited LA, but my husband and I are moving there this summer. He will be working in Culver City but will also need to spend time regularly in downtown LA, Silver Lake/Los Feliz and Hollywood, especially at night. Because of those commute requirements, we have focused our (remote) housing search on rentals in & around Larchmont Village, Hancock Park/La Brea, and Miracle Mile areas.

That said, I am seriously considering an apartment located between W 12th Street and Pico Boulevard (closer to Pico) near the Queen Anne Recreation Center. From a convenience standpoint, it has a lot going for it. But I don't know much about the neighborhood. Can anyone tell me whether this is a generally safe area, borderline or unsafe?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 PM

671 posts, read 1,915,682 times
It is safe enough. Not perfect, but, not something I'd worry about. But that doesn't mean that the neighborhood is pretty.

But, some of the apartment buildings near there are pretty old, and not all of them target the same level of clientele, so you should definitely visit in person, preferably at a time when the tenants would be home, so you can get a feel for the place.

Also, make sure you look at the street at night time to check out the parking situation. If it is crowded, you should seriously try for a place that has an assigned parking space.

On the plus, it is good central location.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,715,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e'erywhere View Post
Hello,
I have never visited LA, but my husband and I are moving there this summer. He will be working in Culver City but will also need to spend time regularly in downtown LA, Silver Lake/Los Feliz and Hollywood, especially at night. Because of those commute requirements, we have focused our (remote) housing search on rentals in & around Larchmont Village, Hancock Park/La Brea, and Miracle Mile areas.

That said, I am seriously considering an apartment located between W 12th Street and Pico Boulevard (closer to Pico) near the Queen Anne Recreation Center. From a convenience standpoint, it has a lot going for it. But I don't know much about the neighborhood. Can anyone tell me whether this is a generally safe area, borderline or unsafe?

Thank you.
That's Mid-City, not the Miracle Mile. Mid-City varies a great deal, different streets and different blocks vary greatly ; some are relatively safe, some are unsafe to varying degrees, some are in between.

In the past I would've considered that location to be unsafe. That was in the heart of Schoolyard Crips territory with everything that implies. That area had some problems even before the crack epidemic but was hurt very badly by the crack epidemic. While gang problems - quite heavy in the past - have calmed down, I'd be very reluctant to live in that neighborhood. Ironically, it's very close to some nice neighborhoods: Hancock Park is immediately to the northwest and Wilshire Park (the neighborhood in between the Miracle Mile and Koreatown) is to the north.

You'd be better off in the Miracle Mile, Fairfax, Larchmont, Hancock Park, West Hollywood, or even Hollywood. All of those neighborhoods will be more expensive except Hollywood (which also varies a great deal but as a whole is better than Mid City). When it comes to Mid-City in general, the farther north or west you are the better (with a few exceptions).

Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,869,092 times
Culver City on some television episodes of California Highway Patrol it was based out of the area. At least your not lost in the New York city crowd. Culver City would be easy making friends.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,561,653 times
Try the "Park LaBrea Apartments" on 3rd street between LaBrea and Fairfax right across the street from the Farmer's Market and The Grove. Gated, safe, parking, pool, on-site staff, high-rise or garden apartments, furnished or unfurnished, very central and lots to walk to including museum's, restaurants, cafe's and shopping.

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-18-2011 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 30,325 times
Default Should I buy a house in Mid-City?

This forum is great and it really helped me out 3 years ago when I was moving to LA. Now I have a question because I am about to buy a house that i really like but its in Mid City. I;ve lived in Sherman Oaks, Westwood, and am now living in West LA. The house is below Washington and East of La Brea and West of West blvd? Can anyone tell me if it crazy to but a house there? Please just give me your honest opinions about the neighborhood. Thanks all!!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,988,392 times
Yeah that's a little crazy considering you've only experienced fancy parts of LA. The area you want to buy a house in is nothing like Sherman Oaks, Westwood, or West LA. You're in for a real shock. Better to just keep renting in WLA.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,421,607 times
I live on Pico between Crenshaw & West... Mid City is SAFE! if you go, you will be surprised to learn that around the neighborhood is mostly Middle class Koreans, Whites, Blacks, & Latinos living side by side almost statistically equal. Actually, this Part of Mid-City is one of the most gentrifying areas in all of Los Angeles. Across from Pico is Victoria Square and Layfayette Square which are million dollar homes but some consider them "ghetto" cause there too many minorities living around, regardless if they are lawyers and doctors and writers. Wikipedia Mid-City and do some research about the area before you listen to people that tell you to move to the valley and the Westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or