U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,165 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am planning to move from Pittsburgh to LA sometime next summer. It is just me moving as a single, no wife or kids and I am 33 years old. I was looking to get some advice on living locations as well as jobs.

I am pretty set on living in Westwood, West Hollywood or near The Grove. I'm leaning a lot toward Westwood. The reason for this is that I work in Higher Education Business Management. I have been in the field for over a decade. I would love to find a job at UCLA and live in Westwood so that I can walk to work. I make $75K here in Pittsburgh and the jobs that I am highly qualified for put me in the $90-$110K range in LA. I only have student loan debt of $300/month as long term debt. Any thoughts on the other areas I did or didn't mention?

In terms of jobs, I'm not sure if I want to have a job before I move or move and then find a job. I say this because I have heard that many employers won't even call you for an interview without a local address and phone number. Is there any truth to this? In addition, I will be moving with $20-25K saved, so going a couple of months without a job would be fine and a nice vacation Does anyone have any other universities/colleges they would recommend to look for jobs?

I was also wondering what costs, aside from housing, are generally more expensive? I know the sales tax is 9.75% vs. my 7% (and you all are taxed on clothes where I am not). I know that working for a university keeps your health insurance cost down as it has for me for a decade now. How about car insurance?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM

31,555 posts, read 34,810,930 times
You have been to these places before, yes?
I have no advice on job hunting. If you have been in the field for a decade you know more about institutions you may qualify to work at than anyone else and most likely have made contacts in the industry. Having money saved is great and will let you try out your new area for awhile. My suggestion is to get a short term lease or rent month to month until you actually have a job somewhere then you can move to be close to it if you still want. As far as costs of things, you can look that up online as the ideas come to you.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You have been to these places before, yes?
Yes, I have been to LA three times in the last year and a half to investigate the various areas and have grown to really like the ones I mentioned.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
Default la

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeanthony1978 View Post
Hi everyone. I am planning to move from Pittsburgh to LA sometime next summer. It is just me moving as a single, no wife or kids and I am 33 years old. I was looking to get some advice on living locations as well as jobs.

I am pretty set on living in Westwood, West Hollywood or near The Grove. I'm leaning a lot toward Westwood. The reason for this is that I work in Higher Education Business Management. I have been in the field for over a decade. I would love to find a job at UCLA and live in Westwood so that I can walk to work. I make $75K here in Pittsburgh and the jobs that I am highly qualified for put me in the $90-$110K range in LA. I only have student loan debt of $300/month as long term debt. Any thoughts on the other areas I did or didn't mention?

In terms of jobs, I'm not sure if I want to have a job before I move or move and then find a job. I say this because I have heard that many employers won't even call you for an interview without a local address and phone number. Is there any truth to this? In addition, I will be moving with $20-25K saved, so going a couple of months without a job would be fine and a nice vacation Does anyone have any other universities/colleges they would recommend to look for jobs?

I was also wondering what costs, aside from housing, are generally more expensive? I know the sales tax is 9.75% vs. my 7% (and you all are taxed on clothes where I am not). I know that working for a university keeps your health insurance cost down as it has for me for a decade now. How about car insurance?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Been to Westwood, Hollywood, LA from Phoenix.

look up clarity.la and email Nathan Kollar. Our friend started a cool church out in LA and would be best person regarding housing, jobs, medical insurance, car insurance and who to contact for college jobs.
I have visited LA when I lived in Phoenix, AZ. You can contact, email prospective employers from where you live (I live in Mt. Pocono, PA from Arizona, originally NY) with a projected date of the move. LA area is very expensive, Pittsburgh is very very cheap compared. Pay might be better but expenses will be higher. I moved a lot so just focus on things being even and hard. Job higher, expenses way high, job lower, expenses lower - depending on where in LA you live. I enjoyed Phoenix very much, a lot of high paying jobs and good cheap housing and we were only an hr. and half from LA (if you like 110 heat index though. Winters are great in Phoenix. 80 degrees and sunny everyday (without the earthquakes). Yes, LA's buildings have metal sidings (a lot of them) to prevent them from falling. My cousin survived a major earthquake out there. Not fun. The other side of the street collapsed while he stood in his doorway watching.

Arizona State University is a great place to work as well as the other colleges there. and more widespread than LA.

If still LA, feel free to contact Nathan (he will not punish church on you) - let him know I said hello. Dolores
Let me know. Been to Westwood, Hollywood, LA from Phoenix.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM

Any more thoughts?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,397,852 times
As far as the cost of living, you can live very comfortably on $90-110k/yr. in those areas. If you own a newer car than the registration fee can be $300+ a year. Other than that I doubt there's a significant difference from what you pay in Pittsburgh for clothing, groceries, gas or auto insurance. Especially for a single person with that sort of income.

Nobody here knows what your prospects of finding a job are. Maybe academia is different but I find it hard to believe jobs paying $90-110k would only consider local residents.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,933,934 times
go for it but i be sure that you have a job in line first.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 AM

35 posts, read 87,325 times
I highly recommend the San Gabriel Valley.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
This sounds really odd, but I've lived 20 min outside of Pittsburgh my whole life and have been considering moving to LA for over a year now. I actually Googled "Pittsburgh to LA" and this post came up in my search. Thought I would see how things were coming along for you. It's a constant battle back and forth debating on if I could/would do it. It's nice to see someone is actually going through with it. Maybe for different reasons

Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,834,203 times
Troll?

There seems to be a sense of unreality here, to put it mildly. You're pretty set on living in any of three rather pricey areas with no definite prospect of a job. Say what? Doesn't make sense to move to L.A., or much of anyplace, without a job first. You assume you'll get a job in higher education, at a specific slary, when budgets of universities, etc. are being cut? Being qualified isn't enough. Maybe you will get the job you want, but I certainly wouldn't worry about where I'd like to live until I knew I had a job, and, thus, what I could afford (and how far I had to commute: if you got a job teaching at, say, Cal State San Bernardino or Claremont College, I sure wouldn't want to be living in Westwood). I went to UCLA. I've been to Westwood since. It's a lovely place. And very expensive. One of the more expensive parts of L.A. There are schools all over the region. Given the state of employment in education these days, I'd put job first and then, assuming you find a job in an area you'd accept, then look for housing in places that are a reasonable commute away.

You need a lot more cost of living data than you can get here. Realtors (and ads) can give you an idea of home purchase prices. Property managment firms and, again, ads, can give you an idea of rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles