Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,783 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, just joined here. Stumbled upon this site and have been reading through it for the past hour now, I've been enlightened, excited and discouraged all in a matter of 30 minutes of reading, lol. None the less, I'm still moving.

I'm a 24 y/o single male from Cleveland, Ohio (suburb of Cleveland, not downtown).

I'm moving to California just because. It's really that simple. California looks fun, and I love the weather and the atmosphere. Plus I've heard it's gorgeous and that there is so much to do. I've also heard about all the bad stuff, and it doesn't discourage me at all.

I already have 2 or 3 contacts that live in Los Angeles, (2 are in West Hollywood) so I actually have a few people that I graduated with that I can call on/ stay with until I can find a place to stay.

I'm not planning on getting my own apartment in LA. Hell no. I've been looking on Craigslist for a "shared living" situation. I'm sure you all know what that is, basically I want to pay significantly less money to live in someones house, apartment, etc. I'm hoping to pay anywhere from 400-600 a month. Obviously this wont be a permanent thing, just until I can build up my money and secure myself.

Now a job you ask? Well I am a licensed pharmacy technician. Problem is I don't have actual pharmacy experience yet. Just schooling and certification tests. Does anyone know if Pharmacy Techs are really in high demand? I assume they would be. Also, I'll stoop to whatever level to get a source of income. By this I mean if I cant find a job in pharmacy, then I'll settle for flipping burgers in the meantime. I can swallow my pride and do whats crucial in order to survive. I've always been a hard worker, had my 1st job at 14, 2 jobs by 15, and worked full time in High School (30 hours) and 40+ hours since I've been 18.

Here comes my savings: I'm just going to spit it out. I have about $6,000.00 saved up for this move. I have a fairly new Toyota Corolla (still making payments) that gets me 35 mpg. I have my clothes packed, toiletries, bedding, etc, Not bringing ANYTHING else with me except a cell phone and a laptop.

Many people probably see this as being crazy, not planned out, etc. But to me that makes it adventurous. I have faith in myself that I'll make things work, despite having the odds up against me.

What do you guys think? Let me re-iterate that your opinions wont deter me from actually moving, I just would like to get some insight from actual LA-ers, do I have enough money to get there? I plan on getting a job literally as soon as possible.

Please be completely honest, and thanks beforehand for reading this ridiculous long post and still having the energy to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,471,413 times
Sounds good to me, but first you have to find a bar that shows Browns, Indians and Cavaliers games

Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Haha I dont follow sports as much as the average guy. Play sports, but never was a fan of watching them. And I'm DEFINITELY not a Browns fan, they suck.

Thanks for the short but sweet input though haha. So you think $6,000.00 is enough to move and be okay?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM

302 posts, read 451,561 times
Well, it's going to be hard, even though you're going to be splitting rent with someone else. You're going to be living in a not so good neighborhood or a shack. Maybe even a shack in a bad neighborhood. If you just got your Pharmacy Tech certification, that's not bad. You probably will need to work two jobs though if you want to survive and be able to even enjoy going outside. If not, you would have to sell your car and will be severely limited in where you can go and when.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM

37,083 posts, read 42,050,241 times
If you have friends you can stay with when you arrive then I don't see a problem. If you are ok with sharing a room with someone to save rent then I don't see a problem with that either. That is the way to move somewhere new. As far as a job goes, eveyone I know who went to LA last year (including my kid) got a job doing something. Whether it's going to work out long term or not I don't know, but since you have no responsibilities right now then have an adventure and see what happens.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Talked to my friend that lives in West Hollywood last night. He said that I could definitely stay with him until I found a place of my own. Thank goodness I know people out there or I'd be screwed! This time next week I'll be getting ready to leave. I'll let you all know when I arrive. This is probably one of the most exciting times of my life. I mapquested it last night and examined the route. Literally I take 3 different routes the whole time. Seems simple enough. I'm hoping the Grand Canyons along the way, never seen it!

Also, I've never even been to California, so this is HUGE.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 868 times
Default I am moving to Cailf...

I am in Jacksonville and would like to consider shared moving!!! Please help...

Old 09-29-2011, 02:35 PM

927 posts, read 2,460,424 times
I wonder how the OP likes it out here. I was hoping for an update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles