U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,318,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Thank you everyone for your help! I was getting pretty worked up about the HOA fees. Where I live, we don't have anything like that in terms of renting. We pay whatever utilities the landlord requires but there aren't any extra fees on top of that. I knew California was expensive but SHEESH more fees onto of my rental fees?? To be clear, if I am renting, I don't have to worry about these, right? It's still interesting to know about them though. So thank you for all of your information. Oh yes and I was going to ask... I am interested in the San Fernando Valley. Someone mentioned it above as being a reasonable place to find cheap rent but safe places to live. What is the Neighborhood of Van Nuys like? Is it nice? Any other good neighborhoods up there you guys think would be good? Thank you so much!
No, every rental and every landlord is different. If you go thru a property management company for a rental you may have to pay fees.
As far as good neighborhoods is SFV - Woodland Hills, Calabasas, Tarzana to name a few. Van Nuys, Canoga Park are not good. Im sure some other posters can add to this list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM

219 posts, read 571,092 times
Okay... cool. Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind. Good to know so that I'm not caught off guard when apartment-hunting time comes. I'm REALLY interested in which neighborhoods are good and which neighborhoods are bad.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 23,313 times
I have been looking online as well for the same. BEWARE of those 'too good to be true' ads on Craigslist. I got all excited seeing 3 bedroom houses for 955, 925, etc. and tried calling the 1-877-395-0322 number. They keep you on hold then hang up on you when you ask any questions! (I'm wondering if they are maybe able to download personal info off your phone??) Anyway its a scam if you see ads (usually with the same picture) for 3 bds. that low. ANd those 'rent to own' ads don't seem legit either.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:59 PM

600 posts, read 1,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrif426 View Post
I have been looking online as well for the same. BEWARE of those 'too good to be true' ads on Craigslist. I got all excited seeing 3 bedroom houses for 955, 925, etc. and tried calling the 1-877-395-0322 number. They keep you on hold then hang up on you when you ask any questions! (I'm wondering if they are maybe able to download personal info off your phone??) Anyway its a scam if you see ads (usually with the same picture) for 3 bds. that low. ANd those 'rent to own' ads don't seem legit either.
The ads that are clearly scams are the ones with just interior photos of what appears to be a beautiful home with a really good price. There is an 800 or 888 number to call and a reference number. They want payment info from you to run a credit check before they give you any info. Just a scam - I report all of them.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 6,765,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Okay... cool. Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind. Good to know so that I'm not caught off guard when apartment-hunting time comes. I'm REALLY interested in which neighborhoods are good and which neighborhoods are bad.
My suggestion is that you narrow down your choices to maybe 3-4 different neighborhoods, and then ask people on the LA Forum what they think about them. Also, check stats on city-data and other places. Then, get a short-term (maybe 3 month) rental in your desired area, and take a first hand look for yourself, because things are not always as they seem to be on the internet.

Try HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale

And

Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings

Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 AM

140 posts, read 270,329 times
You may not have to pay HOA fees but you WILL have to follow their silly rules, whatever they are.
Do you want to be told your company MUST leave at whatever time? No parking in your drive or on the street.
Do you want to be told what color drapes you are allowed to have?
Do you want to be told your children are NOT allowed to play outside? OR have any toys visible from the street?
You are NOT allowed to open your windows, that's why you have A/C.
Do you, Do you, Do you?
MOST HOAs are run by people that have boring nothing lives that want to control what others are doing.

Go ahead and Google HOA Nightmares.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,278 times
First-time poster, long-time lurker. I don't want to derail TygrrEyzz's thread, but I have some rental questions as well, so I'd rather piggy-back than creating another thread as answers to my questions may also help her.

I am considering a job in downtown LA and I am wondering about some good websites to find rental houses. The kind of sites that natives/residents find useful. I have found a few using google (4rentinla.com, westsiderentals.com), but they only allow basic searches which end up yielding way more results--many of which don't really apply to my situation--than needed. I'm looking for a minimum 2 BR single family house with fenced yard, and a garage that allows dogs for $2,500 - $3,500/mo., north of I-10 and west of downtown but I'm getting townhomes, duplexes, apartments and guest houses.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,803,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjgm02 View Post
First-time poster, long-time lurker. I don't want to derail TygrrEyzz's thread, but I have some rental questions as well, so I'd rather piggy-back than creating another thread as answers to my questions may also help her.

I am considering a job in downtown LA and I am wondering about some good websites to find rental houses. The kind of sites that natives/residents find useful. I have found a few using google (4rentinla.com, westsiderentals.com), but they only allow basic searches which end up yielding way more results--many of which don't really apply to my situation--than needed. I'm looking for a minimum 2 BR single family house with fenced yard, and a garage that allows dogs for $2,500 - $3,500/mo., north of I-10 and west of downtown but I'm getting townhomes, duplexes, apartments and guest houses.

I don't know that particular area, but many areas the best way is to drive the desired neighborhoods(because private owners don't pay to advertise) or talk to a realtor in the neighborhood(as they handle nicer rentals). You could also check out the local Pennysaver.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:16 PM

4,266 posts, read 9,026,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjgm02 View Post

For a start(and only a start), go to craigslist, narrow things down to only central LA, enter your price, and two bedrooms min, allows dogs. It will return way too many results, but anything over a couple days old is going to be a stale listing anyway....CL is free and people throw up a new ad almost every day.

For instance, using this method, I found these right away that fit your parameters:

beautiful spanish 3 bd-2ba (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2534166426.html - broken link)

2 bath Great Looking House (Many Amenities - Great Neighborhood) (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2510151854.html - broken link)

Restored Spanish, Huge 3/2 Spanish (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/2532382779.html - broken link)

Unfortunately, there is no way to filter much because there are too many different communities in the area you are looking and too many listings put up that are actually outside central LA....even as far as 40-50 miles away(Valencia, Woodland Hills). I'll note that in your price range, you're mostly looking at Hancock Park, but there are other okay areas. Finally I'll note that westside rentals allows for more narrow search(including houses specifically) once you pay for their service).

Old 08-13-2011, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way to filter much because there are too many different communities in the area you are looking and too many listings put up that are actually outside central LA....even as far as 40-50 miles away(Valencia, Woodland Hills). I'll note that in your price range, you're mostly looking at Hancock Park, but there are other okay areas. Finally I'll note that westside rentals allows for more narrow search(including houses specifically) once you pay for their service).
Thanks for the suggestion. I kinda bypassed craigslist initially because it's usually lousy with ads for apartments, but I did find a couple cool rental houses in Montecito Heights, which I guess is now also a possibility.

I'm trying to avoid being too far from downtown because of my aversion to long commutes and since the Hollywood seems to have more options for MMA gyms than the area NE of downtown, my initial search area seemed it would be kind of in the middle of the two places I would be regularly spending time out of the house.

If anyone else stumbles on this thread and is aware of other good rental sites, please post.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or