U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,532,951 times

Advertisements

Just as an fyi in regards to Montecito Heights. My husband & I almost bought a house there. The area up in the hills is really really nice. The bottom part... not so nice.

We ended up not buying the house due to the inspection. It was one of the houses built into the side of the hill (like most/all of them up in the hills), and he said one good earthquake would bring it down.

Personally, I would never ever EVER buy a house up there never mind rent one.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjgm02 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I kinda bypassed craigslist initially because it's usually lousy with ads for apartments, but I did find a couple cool rental houses in Montecito Heights, which I guess is now also a possibility.

I'm trying to avoid being too far from downtown because of my aversion to long commutes and since the Hollywood seems to have more options for MMA gyms than the area NE of downtown, my initial search area seemed it would be kind of in the middle of the two places I would be regularly spending time out of the house.

If anyone else stumbles on this thread and is aware of other good rental sites, please post.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

52 posts, read 169,501 times
padmapper.com is an amazing website. it's a rental website (not just craigslist) into google maps mashup. I will never sift through hundreds of lines of text ads on craigslist, with the locations of rental units being deceptive 90% of the time. For example, a listing in Culver City being listed as "Beverly Hills adjacent" and no mention of culver city in the ad. Try padmapper, i believe they also have a crime area filter, but haven't used that yet.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 PM

52 posts, read 169,501 times
oh and an AMAZING tool for crime statistics and information is the LA Times crime map. i can't say enough about how great this link is: L.A. Crime Maps - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

...and back to the original poster's question, we rent a 3br house in the South Bay (Torrance) for about $2,000 per month. It was an absolute deal, but it's possible to find if you look hard enough. And i cant say enough nice things about the South bay area, i will never live in any other part of Los Angeles again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or