Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 PM

34 posts, read 42,091 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be graduating as an accountant in 2012 and plan on moving to North America from Europe. I come from Malta which is an island in the Mediterranean, so its obviously a big step to move to a city which is potentially 1000 times bigger than my homeland. I've been to the States before, NYC which I really liked and I've spent some time in Toronto too.

I like all the cities mentioned above however although I haven't been to LA before it just seems to have most of what I look for - resembles Malta - sunny, outdoor activities, beaches, even the landscape. I want to know how hard will it be for a graduate accountant to make it in such a city with a starting salary of about 35k (don't think it gets any higher than that in the first year). I currently work for one of the Big 4 audit firms as part of university programme so that might help me get a job - don't how valuable it could be.

I'm a 22 yr old single male - would I find it hard to blend in in such a city? Are there many young European professionals that move to LA or? Doesn't rly make a difference as I can get along with anyone.

Thanks a lot for any advice and input - really appreciate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,411 times
LA is perfect it has mediterranean climate, and santa catalina island resembles some meditteranean island

Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
a bigger issue than finding work will probably be obtaining a work visa. accounting jobs are usually not too difficult to find, but you'll need to be legal to get this kind of work. you should also be able to find better pay than $35k. from my experiences, entry level accountants usually earn between $40k-$45k, sometimes up to the 50s if you audit or travel often.

You have to remember though that there are a lot of accountants in LA, so i'm not sure obtaining a visa for a position that has such a large supply of qualified workers will be easy.

good luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:56 AM

Hey thanks for making me aware of that - to be honest with you I had no idea there is already an excess supply of accountants in LA, I thought there was an excess supply of people trying to make it with dancing, acting etc lol. Pretty bad if I can't obtain a visa for such a position coz I didn't plan on graduating in anythin else...I'll try figure something out. Nevertheless thanks for raising such a point

Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
BRinSM has a point, schools are virtually vomiting accounting graduates. I don't see why a company just can't hire an accountant locally as oppossed to hiring someone from overseas amd having to secure all the paperwork for a work visa, etc.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM

yamota Lol feel welcomed already, just really hope you don't represent the majority of people. And you're not alone in employing overseas people - UK employers do it regularly also as do Australian employers, even in Malta we're starting to employ foreigners - its just a fact of life; globalization - gotta deal with it!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM

293 posts, read 719,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.1989 View Post
Hi, I'll be graduating as an accountant in 2012 and plan on moving to North America from Europe. I come from Malta which is an island in the Mediterranean, so its obviously a big step to move to a city which is potentially 1000 times bigger than my homeland. I've been to the States before, NYC which I really liked and I've spent some time in Toronto too.

I like all the cities mentioned above however although I haven't been to LA before it just seems to have most of what I look for - resembles Malta - sunny, outdoor activities, beaches, even the landscape. I want to know how hard will it be for a graduate accountant to make it in such a city with a starting salary of about 35k (don't think it gets any higher than that in the first year). I currently work for one of the Big 4 audit firms as part of university programme so that might help me get a job - don't how valuable it could be.

I'm a 22 yr old single male - would I find it hard to blend in in such a city? Are there many young European professionals that move to LA or? Doesn't rly make a difference as I can get along with anyone.

Thanks a lot for any advice and input - really appreciate
Accounting jobs are plentiful, at least here in the East Coast. Finding a job at any of the Big 4 firms for a student your age is relatively easy. However, the biggest challenge will be demonstrate a strong work ethics. You must be prepared to work very long hours and have CPA track. Firms like E&Y, Delloite, and PWC are hiring like crazy. For the most part, you would be working in the audit or corporate tax department. The starting salary here in New Jersey is between $55K - 58K a year at any of the Big 4. Needless to say, there are many regional firms that can also be very good fit for many recent graduates.

But as another poster said, the biggest problem will be find a work visa. If you can overcome that, then finding a job will be easy.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I think the first thing you need to do is talk to the American Embassy and learn what will be needed before you go any further with your plan. I know you will need a job and some savings to even starting a new life in America.

As for climate, etc I think SO Ca as well as Florida would be perfect for you.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM

13 posts, read 9,542 times
Man, if I were you I would not move to LA from Malta. Go to NYC or Chicago or Seattle. California has no ties with Europe anymore, it's all ran down by illegal aliens. You would really have a hard time adapting and blending in here. Sure, climate is almost perfect but apart that it's not a good place to start. Thus, if you are looking into business go to the Eastcoast. People are more serious there. A lot of Europeans and white Americans. LA is full of show offs and the size might be a factor for you, too. Many white European Americans had left LA long time ago. It's definitely not a good place. CA is not that place anymore that we were used to seeing on TV. Sad truth

Old 06-19-2011, 02:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheDonny View Post
Man, if I were you I would not move to LA from Malta. Go to NYC or Chicago or Seattle. California has no ties with Europe anymore, it's all ran down by illegal aliens. You would really have a hard time adapting and blending in here. Sure, climate is almost perfect but apart that it's not a good place to start. Thus, if you are looking into business go to the Eastcoast. People are more serious there. A lot of Europeans and white Americans. LA is full of show offs and the size might be a factor for you, too. Many white European Americans had left LA long time ago. It's definitely not a good place. CA is not that place anymore that we were used to seeing on TV. Sad truth
To the OP: Don't pay attention to this TROLL. He is full of B.S. Lists David Duke as his hero. Enough said. I would give this troll negative rep points if CD would allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles