U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM

13 posts, read 21,032 times

Advertisements

Hi, Rhaegon. First, I don't understand the person who so dislikes Santa Clarita. What graffitti?? On the rare occasion there is any, you just call the city and they get rid of it immediately. I've seen none on the freeways. What people who yell and curse at you? I've spent my entire life in SC and have worked in the Antelope Valley (Quartz Hill) and have had family and friends in Palmdale for many years, and my husband currently commutes from here to Lancaster. Rhaegon, if you're commuting from here to there, the commute isn't at all bad since traffic is going the opposite way.

If you buy here, your home will hold its value far better than in the AV. Nothing personal to Santaclaritasucks, but this area is more desireable since it's not as far from the SFV and L.A. as Palmdale et al is. As for apartments, yep, there are many with different styles and price ranges.

This area is indeed full of families with children, and doesn't have a lot of clubs etc. for the younger, unmarried set. However, as the population grows and all those suburban children grow up, so does the pool of young adults. There's a lot to do in Burbank and Pasadena and the SFV, as was mentioned previously, and those places are not terribly far away. You would not be "geographically undesireable" to someone from Burbank, the SFV, or Burbank. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you met someone down there who turned out to be from up here.

As to weather, it's true that the weather in Palmdale is more extreme in general. It's usually hotter/colder than here, and it's very, very windy quite often. The AV (Antelope Valley=Palmdale, Lancaster, Quartz Hill etc.) is known for that.

You sound like a nice person. Truly, if you want a nice lifestyle and may start a family in the next few years, Santa Clarita really is the better option. Nice town, well kept, lots of things for kids/moms to do, property values hold better than in the AV. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 PM

102 posts, read 452,598 times
Default Santa Clarita is not cooler than Lancaster!

An earlier post said that Lancaster was hotter, people misunderstand this. If you look up the facts, Santa Clarita is hotter than Lancaster and has a much poorer air quality. I got this off the weather channel.

Weather At-a-Glance:
On Average:
Valencia, CA is warmer than Lancaster, CA by 4°F.

Valencia, CA is wetter than Lancaster, CA by 1.0 in.
Records:
Valencia, CA recorded the highest temperature of 116°F in 1985.

Lancaster, CA recorded the lowest temperature of 11°F in 1990.

I thought I should clarify the fact that Valencia is indeed hotter, and more humid. Both places are windy! It comes and goes.

You can live wherever you like. I love Lancaster. I also lived in Valencia before, and did not care for it. Both places have their positive and negative. Valencia has more money, but I find that Lancaster has nicer people. Lancaster has great history as well, which is what I love. The major reason I did not care for Valencia is how congested it was. They claim it is a master planned community, but whoever planned it should be fired. It took me over half and hour to get from end of town to the other. The streets are designed very poorly, they make very little sense, then they have the audacity to change the names of the streets in the middle of town. I could go on and on about why I moved away.

In order to understand a community, you need to visit it yourself. People on the internet love to complain because it is anonymous, just remember that.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 PM

102 posts, read 452,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Well, I have lived in all three areas and Santa Clarita is far and away nicer than the Antelope Valley (Palmdale/Lancaster/Quartz Hill) in ALL respects. I am talking Valencia and Stevenson ranch mainly, not some of the so-so areas of Newhall and Saugus. Sure the west side of Palmdale is OK, but you still have to mingle with all the scum everywhere you go, and the scum per square mile in the AV is WAY up there. As far as being the same, I have seen 30 degree difference from the SCV to the AV, the AV being hotter. I have also seen 30mph difference in wind, the AV having the wind.

This is interesting. I have lived in both places and this is just not true. I moved away from Santa Clarita to Lancaster because of many reasons, I don't need to elaborate on. Santa Clarita is hotter and both places are windy. The biggest difference is the smog. The air in Santa Clarita is disgusting. Driving from the Antelope Valley to Santa Clarita the moon at night turns from white to brown, because of smog. Unless it is during fire season, and in santa clarita it is red or you can't see it because the smog is so bad. Santa Clarita's roads were designed very poorly so it takes forever to get around town. Plus when it rains, many many roads flood. And when fire season comes around, you almost always hear of a fire in the SCV. And don't forget about mudslides. The area is built on the floodplain of the Santa CLara River, most of it should not have been built up because of consistent flooding problems in even the driest of years.

Santa Clarita tries to sound like it is a climate more like LA than the desert, but this simply is not true. It has the negative aspects of both climates. It has the wind and heat of the desert, and it also has the smog and more humid climate of the SFV. It is an armpit of a place to live unfortunately.

An earlier post said that Lancaster was hotter, people misunderstand this. If you look up the facts, Santa Clarita is hotter than Lancaster and has a much poorer air quality. I got this off the weather channel.

Weather At-a-Glance:
On Average:
Valencia, CA is warmer than Lancaster, CA by 4°F.

Valencia, CA is wetter than Lancaster, CA by 1.0 in.
Records:
Valencia, CA recorded the highest temperature of 116°F in 1985.

Lancaster, CA recorded the lowest temperature of 11°F in 1990.

I thought I should clarify the fact that Valencia is indeed hotter, and more humid. Both places are windy! It comes and goes.

You can live wherever you like. I love Lancaster. I also lived in Valencia before, and did not care for it. Both places have their positive and negative. Valencia has more money, but I find that Lancaster has nicer people. Lancaster has great history as well, which is what I love. The major reason I did not care for Valencia is how congested it was. They claim it is a master planned community, but whoever planned it should be fired. It took me over half and hour to get from end of town to the other. The streets are designed very poorly, they make very little sense, then they have the audacity to change the names of the streets in the middle of town. I could go on and on about why I moved away.

In order to understand a community, you need to visit it yourself. People on the internet love to complain because it is anonymous, just remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles