U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from PA to CA in August.
For my first year, I would rent, then look for a house while I am out here.
any suggestions for a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment rental for $1500 or less a month ?
Looking for a low crime rating, does not need to be a prime area, but at least decent. within 30-45 mins of west hills, and preferably within an hour of santa monica beach. I am thinking the better areas of San Fernando, but I am not familiar enough yet. If I could get a single place, .vs. apartment complex, that would allow me to play the music I want. I am open to suggestions on any single place - house, 2nd floor over a business, converted barn, etc... last choice would be a 2+ bedroom apartment complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,659,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrep99 View Post
I will be moving from PA to CA in August.
For my first year, I would rent, then look for a house while I am out here.
any suggestions for a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment rental for $1500 or less a month ?
Looking for a low crime rating, does not need to be a prime area, but at least decent. within 30-45 mins of west hills, and preferably within an hour of santa monica beach. I am thinking the better areas of San Fernando, but I am not familiar enough yet. If I could get a single place, .vs. apartment complex, that would allow me to play the music I want. I am open to suggestions on any single place - house, 2nd floor over a business, converted barn, etc... last choice would be a 2+ bedroom apartment complex.
I would consider Warner Center (a section of Woodland Hills)

When you say the better areas of San Fernando, I think you mean the better areas of San Fernando Valley. The city of San Fernando is in the northeast part of the valley and West Hills is in the southwest part.

Try Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments and type 91367 in the 'hop somewhere' field and that will get you close. Basically north of Burbank, east of Topanga, south of Victory, and west of Desoto

Edited to add...I see you wish to play music, I would look for a house instead and that is going to be tough on your budget, you may need to stretch your zone a little

Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM

219 posts, read 570,330 times
I am in the same position as the OP. I have a question to add to it, though. What are the quality of these cheaper places going to be like? If I choose somewhere out in the SF Valley, what are the apartments/houses/townhouses out there typically like in that price range?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
I am in the same position as the OP. I have a question to add to it, though. What are the quality of these cheaper places going to be like? If I choose somewhere out in the SF Valley, what are the apartments/houses/townhouses out there typically like in that price range?
It depends where. For instance, your money will tend to go farther in Northridge than in Sherman Oaks.

Keep in mind that parts of SFV are really quite bad. $1500/mo that OP cites is basically an impossible amount for rent in SFV 3 bd.

You might get an older home or townhome in a place like Sun Valley or Canoga Park, but then those are very unsafe areas.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 AM

600 posts, read 1,316,040 times
Its a rule of thumb here in LA that the more you pay the safer, the better the neighborhood. There is no place in a great area where you will find a 2+ BR house for $1500 unless you dont mind commuting over an hour+. You could get a roommate and spring for an apartment together that will get you in a good neighborhood that doesnt have a terrible commute. John is right, the SFV has a lot of areas that are just as seedy as east/south/central LA

Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM

219 posts, read 570,330 times
Could I get a nice 3BR townhouse in a good neighborhood in the SF Valley for under 2000??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles