U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM

34 posts, read 330,528 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the middle of Hollywood (off of Hollywood Blvd) so I have been spoiled by how walkable it is. I do have a car, but just within a mile of me, there are bars,clubs, restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, grocery stores, gyms, tons of people walking around, etc, etc. However, I am in my mid 20's, just finished graduate school, and would like to live somewhere where there are young professionals around my age.

I know the area around the SM pier is similar in terms of how many things are within walking distance. I also checked out the West LA/Westwood/Brentwood area and while these are really nice areas and I found some good apartments, it just seemed really quiet and boring. Any suggestions of what areas of the city to look in? I'd prefer to live in central/west LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,533,775 times
Los Angeles, California Neighborhoods on Walk Score live in a green area

Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Thanks, cool website. My current address is a 98. So basically everything is going to be a downgrade lol

Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,985,995 times
Why don't you want to stay in your area?

There is downtown Santa Monica/Main Street that's comparable, and a bit less hectic closer to the beach.

West LA/Westwood/Brentwood are indeed pretty boring areas. Lots of young professionals there though. And a decent amount of stuff is walkable, though you'll have to drive (a short distance) for most things.

Also, West Hollywood and Miracle Mile. Well, Miracle Mile if you're right by the grove.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Why don't you want to stay in your area?

There is downtown Santa Monica/Main Street that's comparable, and a bit less hectic closer to the beach.

West LA/Westwood/Brentwood are indeed pretty boring areas. Lots of young professionals there though. And a decent amount of stuff is walkable, though you'll have to drive (a short distance) for most things.

Also, West Hollywood and Miracle Mile. Well, Miracle Mile if you're right by the grove.
Well, Hollywood is great but it's such a young crowd. Most of the people in my area are 19-22 year old students who just moved to LA. While I don't mind that, I'm 25 so I'd like to be around people that are similar to me (in terms of age and having graduating college already)

SM would be my dream spot but it is so expensive. I'm looking for apartments no more than $1300-1400

Are there any particular parts of West LA/Westwood/Brentwood that would be great for me? How's the area around Wilshire and Federal?

How's is the nightlife in the Miracle Mile area?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,985,995 times
I don't get why you say that because there are countless people in their mid to late 20s in Hollywood. I'd say more people your age than 20 year olds.

Yeah Sm is probably gonna be out of your budget, unless you settle for something really small and or dumpy.

Wilshire/Federal is a nice safe area, I guess if you live a bit west of that (like near Barrington, Westgate, Armacost) there is a bit of nightlife (3 bars next to each other) and a lot of restaurants and markets. But it's not nearly as walkable as Hollywood.

By Miracle Mile I should say by the grove, there are a fair number of bars near the grove and on 3rd street. and i guess the eastern end of west hollywood.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,944,158 times
Maybe you're just living in the wrong building? Granted, it's been a few years since I've lived in Hollywood, but we were in our late 20s and professionals, and we knew a lot of people who were that age or much older. If you like where you live in all other ways, I'd consider just focusing on meeting more people who are similar to you in age. They're definitely out there, even in Hollywood.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 PM

5,494 posts, read 13,313,874 times
I was going to say Miracle Mile too. What about dt Los Angeles. Maybe its the east coast in me but being a single professional I find places like SM, west LA and Brentwood not that appealing for me. I'd stay in Hollywood!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM

I think I might end up staying in Hollywood, but going a bit west, near the Sunset Strip area. Seems similar to where I am now, but just a little bit classier/more upscale/older. What do you guys think?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:43 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,012,391 times
Maybe check out downtown LA. Your budget only puts you at the very low end though, meaning very small studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or