U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,704,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wish the moderators would. I get banned for up to a week every few weeks.
This post will be deleted soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,805,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
This post will be deleted soon.
Every time I see a "Direct Message" I have a small heart attack because of all the times I read "You have received an infraction at City-Data Forum..." after I click it. One mod once wrote that I was in the top ten most infracted persons on City Data.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM

397 posts, read 825,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Other people's ideas about living "outside the city" and commuting in don't quite apply in LA. LA is HUGE. 30 minutes of driving (especially in the round-the-clock rush hour) doesn't get you anywhere very different in terms of density. The SFV is just as urban and crowded as anything in Des Moines. Northridge to downtown LA is not the same thing as Ames to downtown Des Moines even though the distances are similar. One is a highly congested urban struggle the entire way while one is mostly cruise control through farmland. Guess which one is more draining.
When someone compares Iowa traffic to Los Angeles traffic, and thinks they are comparable, I realize they aren't serious about taking advice.

The city will eat em alive!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM

219 posts, read 571,092 times
I've been in LA traffic. Haven't and would not even consider comparing it to anything we have in Iowa.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 PM

17 posts, read 35,294 times
TygrrEyzz, you seem to have a good grasp on the realities of moving to Los Angeles. As long as you keep that perspective, you will make it. I moved to the LA area from Bakersfield, CA, which, although a mere 2 hours away from LA, is culturally and economically a world apart. Yes, things cost more here, and, as others have stated, housing is outrageous (nearly double what I was used to). However, it is not out of reach. There are so many areas of LA to consider, and many of them are affordable. Just as you said, moving here will be enough of a shock, so you are wise to start out in an area not immediately in the center of the action. The San Fernando valley is a great place. You could also consider the San Gabriel Valley. There are affordable, nice places to be had. A friend of mine rents an adorable 1 bedroom bungalow/duplex in Pasadena for around $1000. She has her own space without roommates and enjoys the cute area. With your salary increase, and with the help of a roommate or two, you could even rent a large apartment or even a small house in this area for $1500-1900/mo.

If LA is calling you, then you should go for it. I was the same way. I always had the desire to be in or around LA. It's been 7 years since I moved to the area, and I will probably never want to leave!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM

394 posts, read 1,404,434 times
I have been here for 3 years, working on a degree. When my time is up with my GI Bill, I am facing having to move for the fact of being unable to find good income out here. And I have pretty decent income for a college full-time job! But it's not nearly enough to live out here without a second, or third income, so I have to start looking.

The poster who said things are bad out here, well they are right. But they are not much better anywhere else either. Although it's cheaper to live outside of CA, jobs are scarce alot of places, even in my hometown in Indiana, where the economy has not hit nearly as hard, but there are fewer openings than ever. There you can get a studio apt for $325 (As opposed to my STEAL of a deal in WLA without a kitchen at $700, down the street you can spend $900 easily) but you also won't make over $10 an hour either. So either way, your damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

With finding recent SFV prices to having much better sized studios, with kitchens and parking, (OH MY GOD!!!) for $950, that still leaves me paying more than now. At 25k a year, living in LA may not be an option once my GI Bill stops. They are paying me a hefty amount each month I go to school for living expenses.

It's tough to get started here too. Key West is expensive, I had two jobs in three days in 2005. Denver is hard, I got a job within a month, and probably would have had two easily. Here, I was unemployed for almost three months...darn near devastating. Think about it. And come with a good amount to start you out.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM

394 posts, read 1,404,434 times
Come on people! Take a trip to the Midwest! We have traffic too! Indianapolis is no picnic, and Des Moines is a large city for the area! Although, I would take a traffic jam in Indiana ANY DAY over one on the 405...Just gotta represent my peeps!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM

9 posts, read 23,298 times
Default i was lucky

i was living in Vegas in 93 and got a job offer in BH, I always wanted to live here but I couldnt make the math work either. So I went to Vegas in 91 when Vegas was great.

in summer of 93 I got a call for a job in BevHills with free rent, it was a 100% commission job, no sales no free rent, just a ride back to Vegas. I had to make it work.

I started out slow there was 3 of us packed into a studio apt on S.Roxbury by the park. I saved my $$$ and lived like a sardine for 6 months. After 6 months I was making very good $$ and moved into my own apt. Since then I have been very lucky-like that wasnt triple lucky.

Its intimidating for sure but it all works out if you put your mind to it. Work smart not hard. There are more oppertunities than trading hours for dollars and to live good in LA-Trading hours for dollars will not give you a life style, you'll just grind. So again work smart not hard.

best

teddy

Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 AM

9 posts, read 23,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
I have been here for 3 years, working on a degree. When my time is up with my GI Bill, I am facing having to move for the fact of being unable to find good income out here. And I have pretty decent income for a college full-time job! But it's not nearly enough to live out here without a second, or third income, so I have to start looking.

The poster who said things are bad out here, well they are right. But they are not much better anywhere else either. Although it's cheaper to live outside of CA, jobs are scarce alot of places, even in my hometown in Indiana, where the economy has not hit nearly as hard, but there are fewer openings than ever. There you can get a studio apt for $325 (As opposed to my STEAL of a deal in WLA without a kitchen at $700, down the street you can spend $900 easily) but you also won't make over $10 an hour either. So either way, your damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

With finding recent SFV prices to having much better sized studios, with kitchens and parking, (OH MY GOD!!!) for $950, that still leaves me paying more than now. At 25k a year, living in LA may not be an option once my GI Bill stops. They are paying me a hefty amount each month I go to school for living expenses.

It's tough to get started here too. Key West is expensive, I had two jobs in three days in 2005. Denver is hard, I got a job within a month, and probably would have had two easily. Here, I was unemployed for almost three months...darn near devastating. Think about it. And come with a good amount to start you out.
Like they say in the joint "Its hard in the yard", I been lucky. I have kept one foot in Vegas and one in LA since 93. Back in 93 in Vegas you had to try hard not to make $1000/week and rent in a new building was $350-$450, nobody was struggling-unless they had habits, if you have habits in Vegas then its a trap.

Now since the internet I have made friends all over America and I dont know anywhere that its easy to get a start. LA is tough if not impossible. Vegas is worse than LA-much worse, I have businesses there so I'm still commuting back and forth, since 93.

I really dont know where I could advise someone 25 years old to go and get a good solid head start. I'm 44 and never seen anything like our whole economy. Honestly if I wasn't in a good spot, I would be looking outside America for a starting point. The world is very global, Thailand I hear is good, Argentina, as well. Costa Rica is burned out now for opportunity I have heard from several sources(people I know well-not tv or the news online).

like I said work smart not hard. good luck to everyone. I wish it "was easy in the yard" but it aint right now.And IMO wont be for a very long time 7-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or