U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 AM

106 posts, read 413,431 times

Advertisements

I'm out of state and am waiting to hear if I get an LA job. I've been looking at apartment listings and am considering renting in, among other areas, downtown. But every time I see an interesting-looking dog-friendly loft/apartment building, I find terrible reviews, bemoaning the poor management/maintenance/cleanliness, poor quality of appliances and fittings, noise level, etc. Any good buildings out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:12 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
I would take online reviews with a grain of salt. Only pissed off people are motivated to post. Not saying to discount them completely but you get my drift.

Take a look at some online reivews of beach apartments in Santa Monica and I bet you find plenty of disgruntled reviews as well.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
I would NOT under any circumstances sign a lease on any loft/apt downtown sight unseen.

That said, I agree that most of the online reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

For instance, my building is amazing, but most of the reviews are lukewarm at best. In fact, one reviewer only gave the building 2 stars because the building only accepts pets up to 25 lbs. This is a stupid review. The building's policy is clearly laid out and is in the documentation they give you before you move in. It's in the lease. Yet a person reviews them saying they don't like the policy they agreed to when they moved in? That makes no sense whatsoever

Also you do have to understand that most of the very pet friendly places(Those allowing unlimited size on pets) are located on Spring and Main Streets. That means a lot of Barry Shy and Tom Gilmore owned buildings. In these buildings, a number of very dumb people purchased units when the market was quite high. In addition, theres allegations of issues with the HOA's. So these unit owners have a huge axe to grind and a lot of the reviews are put up by them

None of the above affects renters one bit.

You really need to go look in person.

FWIW, the closest building to a park like area is the Higgins Building at 2nd/Main. Theres a grassy area out next to the new LAPD headquarters where people let their dogs play. Literally across the street.

If you have a question on a particular property, please feel free to send a pm. I don't know every place, but I walk across the entirety of downtown to work every day and I get exposure to a whole lot of things.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 AM

True. The bad reviews for my current apartment complex don't really match my experience, though I have had bad experiences here. Conversely, it's obvious when the apartment management company sends in anonymous reviews that give a property too much praise. I was just hoping some of this site's readers had some experiences with downtown lofts.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

JohnG72, I would never dream of getting an apartment sight unseen. I'm very much a homebody and I like everything as perfect as I can get it. I don't know if I'm even getting this job and moving out there, and if I do whether they'll fly me out there to apartment hunt for a week or put me up in temporary lodgings while I work and look.

But yes, I was reading negative reviews about Barry Shy properties last night, though I generally liked the photos I'd seen. It seems the negative reviews on Shy's properties and others involve resident noise, lackadaisical maintenance, dog feces in the halls and elevators, etc.

I'm single, middle-aged, quiet as a monk, past my partying years, but downtown seems interesting to me. I have a 60-pound Basset Hound. I am not well-off enough financially that I can live anywhere I want. I have no idea what the new job might pay--if it comes through.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Based on your age, and perhps lifestyle, I would not recommend most of the places on Main or Spring Street to you. Its a younger crowd there, not particularly mixed.

Theres a number of buildings nearby on Hill, Broadway, Olive, and Grand that allow larger dogs. Many run a craigslist ad every now and then.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
I have a friend, recently retired (about 62 years old), lives at the Bartlett (7th/Spring). He has two (small) dogs but I've seen other owners with big dogs. Doesn't own a car, takes transit everywhere. He's a pretty active guy. It is a 'Shy' property, but he says the issues that vexed the residents there don't really affect him. Obviously he doesn't have to mess with the parking (he was leasing a spot at 7th and Hill for $150/month- told me Barry ran out of room and upped the fee).

The Shy Barry @ 5th/Hill is nice, but I guess most of the complaints are about the tenants, many leasing from absentee owners. The building itself seems OK to me, especially the rooftop pool. Incredible views up there.

For what its worth, I really liked the Santee complex: market, courtyard, dog-friendly.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 PM

Yes, I am a non-driver, but based on my experiences visiting LA, the transit system and cabs can take me anywhere I would want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles