U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 AM

6 posts, read 9,153 times

Advertisements

I'll be renting first I would say my budget would be $3-4k a month dont think I can get anything less from that from what I've been looking at. It would have to be a house because we will have a recording studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 AM

We have friends scattered all over LA most of them are single and quite a few have moved to Silverlake but I've been told its LA's equivalent to Shoreditch in London which is great if you are an artist but not so is you have kids. Everyone's suggestions have been a great help and a good start for me to look at schools and accomodation.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM

23 posts, read 34,307 times
If you can't find anything in LA, maybe you could try Orange County instead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the schooling would probably be of better quality. The LAUSD doesn't have a great name at the moment.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:25 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,063,992 times
Nowhere in Los Angeles city alone, but in Western portions of South Bay, South Pasadena, Santa Monica, Glendale, and Burbank. And if you're open other places, Orange County.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian33 View Post
We have friends scattered all over LA most of them are single and quite a few have moved to Silverlake but I've been told its LA's equivalent to Shoreditch in London which is great if you are an artist but not so is you have kids. Everyone's suggestions have been a great help and a good start for me to look at schools and accomodation.
I'd agree with that comparison.
Many Silver Lake residents with kids move to Burbank when their kids are of middle school age, as it's the closest non-LAUSD district and has great schools. The LAUSD schools are crappy (while Marshall's far from the worst LAUSD school it's still pretty bad). LAUSD schools tend to resemble each other more than the neighborhoods they are located in.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 PM

1,327 posts, read 4,765,998 times
Think long-term, so even if you are going to rent in the beginning, rent in an area that the houses are in the ball park that you could afford. This way you won't have to put the kids through school change (twice).

Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'd agree with that comparison.
Many Silver Lake residents with kids move to Burbank when their kids are of middle school age, as it's the closest non-LAUSD district and has great schools. The LAUSD schools are crappy (while Marshall's far from the worst LAUSD school it's still pretty bad). LAUSD schools tend to resemble each other more than the neighborhoods they are located in.
Thanks someone else mentioned Burbank looks like a good place to start.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:43 PM

35 posts, read 87,228 times
Rowland Heights has one of the top school districts in the country. Looking up where are the top places to live around LA, Rowland Heights has popped up through all sorts of various statistics, magazines, etc. The San Gabriel Valley in general is a good area. I wouldn't suggest Pomona or La puente though. La Verne, San Dimas, and Glendora have good school ratings too. West Covina is good too. Covina's nice too. Monrovia, Arcadia, Duarte, that area is more like pasadena. Chino Hills is awesome too.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 PM

63 posts, read 182,841 times
Come to "Oh Fancy That" (a British store in Tarzana--18399 Ventura Blvd) when you get here! They carry food and candy you won't be able to find in grocery stores here.

I vote for Santa Monica if you want something on the trendy side but still family friendly.

Valencia is one of my favorites as always, very family oriented, safe, good schools, but further from L.A.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,558,543 times
Westlake Village-Thousand Oaks area. Just over the Ventura County line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or