Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 40,228 times

Advertisements

My son will be 19 next fall and has his heart set on going to school at Musician Institue in Hollywood (1655 McCadden Pl). We are from NH so he is not used to the city. The school gives out a list of several apartment building and hostels. I read about all the gangs violence in LA. I am concerned about letting him go there. He won't have a car.

Does anyone know anything about these neighborhood or apartments.

McCadden Apts. 1523 N. McCadden Place, 90028 (.2 mi from school)
Cherokee Apts. 1733 N. Cherokee Ave, 90028 (.2 mi from school)
USA Hostels, 1624 Schrader Blvd, 90028 (.4 mi from school)
Orange Apts. 1769 N. Orange Dr. LA, 90028 (.5 mi from school)
LeMirage Apts. 1220 N. Las Palmas Ave, LA, 90038 (.6 mi from school)
Protobello Apts. 1791 N. Sycamore Ave. 90028 (.6 mi from school)
The Sands Apts. 7220 Hollywood Blvd. LA, 90046 (.7 mi from school)
Barnsdall Court Apts. 1632 N. Normandie Ave, LA, 90027 (2.5mi from school)
Sunshine City Apts. 4141 Santa Monica Blvd. 90029 (3.6 mi from school)
Rampart Palace Apt. 446 S. Rampart Blvd. LA, 90057 (5.9 mi from school)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
What a terrific parent you are, freckleface, for allowing your son to pursue his offbeat dream while still watching out for him.

Basically, all the listings within a mile of the Musicians' Institute are in Hollywood proper, and that's where I would recommend he stay without a car. He can walk year-round here. There are many other reasons as well.

If your son isn't used to huge city life, please convey to him that the urban hazards he'd encounter in Hollywood, particularly along the side streets rather than Hollywood or Sunset Blvds. are ones he can avoid. The downside to Hollywood is open prostitution (male and female) and marginally covert drug dealers. Since this won't be part of his world, all he has to do is learn to recognize them (the prostitutes are easy to spot, since they loiter, the dealers tend to hang over cars on the drivers' or passengers' sides) and don't engage them. They may have confederates nearby, which is why I say stay clear of them all. Avoiding robbery is what he would have to learn to do in any big city: get a handle on dicey-looking people, walk purposefully, know where he's going in advance, and don't carry anything valuable if he can help it. The guitar case (or whatever) he totes should tell the world he's a starving musician, so he's not necessarily a target with that unless he really looks out of place. Armed with this knowledge head of time, he should learn quickly to be street savvy and be okay.

The other addresses are vearing towards East Hollywood and L.A. proper. He will encounter more gangs (who really are vile and quite widespread here,) more openly dangerous people, and a majority of the populace that speaks little to no English whatsoever. If you are inquiring about hostels, I know that there are budget concerns, and L.A. is not so good in that department for safe, cheap housing.

Another plus to living near the Musicians' Inst. would be networking with his fellow students and the services catering to musicians, whether he needs them or wants to work for them part-time. I've seen many showcases at this school: it's a fun place. Good luck to you both.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,189 times
all those places are really nasty at night, avoid Hollywood Blv, Sunset, and everything in between, I dont know if in Franklin Avenue west of the 101 are apartments to rent, but probably is the only good area close to that school.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Some of us are more used to having to "make do" with limited resources, while still having the drive to pursue one's dreams. The posters can't afford a wonderful area within which to live in L.A., period. (My situation as well.) So how would the mother play a part in making sure her son makes the best of their means? She's already doing so with this question, which I hope more folks than miracle and I will address.

I would rather chance the son living near his school, and encountering Hollywood's panoply of panhandlers, drunk bikers, hookers, and dealers - all of which he can avoid - rather than east Hollywood's and L.A.'s gang members, who will prey upon anyone they think they can. (Does he already know the universal answer to the gang query "Where you from?" A: There is no correct answer, it's always thrown out as a prelude to a fight. Don't answer and go away.) Also, people in Hollywood generally speak English.

He is also more likely to make friends with fellow musicians from the school who might be around there as well, and there is more safety in numbers, always. He will have to accrue the street smarts to which I alluded. I've worked taking photos at music clubs there for 30 years, at all hours of the night and morning, am female, and never got close to being hassled by following those rules, despite the other poster's assessment of the area as nasty. Your son must face up to the real risks, however, as you say he is not used to mega-urban life. A little paranoia is good for one's personal safety, but he must never look "out of place" or fearful, like a target.

Not every ambition involves higher education and the corporate ladder. I have many "mature" musician friends who, although not household names, make adequate livings doing what they love, own houses not condos, and they get to travel a lot!

I would think the main experience FreckleFace's son will come away with from the school is what the true nature of the music business is, what it takes to succeed in it beyond sheer luck. Talent is actually not that big a factor. Assuming every musician is competent, the one who is best at networking has the most chance for true success.

Last edited by fastfilm; 03-13-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-13-2007, 01:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Good to hear you finally say something good about a very urban part of L.A., Fastfilm. Not everything is gloom and doom, and Hollywood is in much better shape than it was 10 years ago, or even 20 years ago.

The nicest neighborhood of those apartments listed would be the one that's in 90046, a zip code that has no bad neighborhoods whatsoever. Those places in central Hollywood are OK now, they have their dangers as you stated but they are mild compared to much of L.A. county. OTOH, in the 1990s I wouldn't have considered those areas.

The absolute worst neighborhood of those listed would be the area by 5th and Rampart, which is very dangerous.

The Sunshine City Apartments are in the Sunset Junction area of Silver Lake which is perfectly fine and acceptable. That Barnsdall Court building is in East Hollywood by Sunset and Normandie, not a location I'd want to live in as it does have its nasty side, although there are some quite nice areas a few blocks to the north in Los Feliz.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 40,228 times
Thanks to all for your comments. Now a few questions. Actually the more I read, the more questions I have.
So what I hear is
1. stay within a mile of the Musicians' Institute
2. stay off the side streets
3. It sounds to me like there may not be gangs around to school but plenty of the drug dealer, prostitues, drunks, etc. So if you avoid them you might be okay.
4. if you happen to be accosted by a gang member asking where you are from, just walk away, don’t say anything. Hopefully they let you go.
5. Know where you are going ahead of time. Walk with a purpose.
6. Don’t look out of place? So how does a 19 year old look out of place? He’s 6’ tall 170 lbs, wears tee shirts, jeans, and sneakers. Hair is fairly short now.
So if he stays within ¾ of a mile from the school that can still be a distance to walk if you see a “panoply of panhandlers, drunk bikers, hookers, and dealers” all the way to school. I am sure there would be many times he would have to travel the same distance at night. Obviously the same rules apply at night but I would think there are more. What about buses? Would he be better off taking his car and living in a safer neighborhood?

Fastfilm, you have been there for 30 years. I find it hard to believe that with all that going on that no one ever grabbed your camera from you. You must be really street smart. Do males or females have a better chance of safe survival if they follow the rules? I hate to see him loose his guitar or his life trying to keep it.

What about gated apartment complexes? Would any of those be gated near the school?
Where do you buy food? Are there big grocery stores in the area around the school or just corner variety stores? Wal-marts? I’m sorry I have no idea.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Hey again, Freckleface. I didn't mean to scare you, I was just trying to expound about a few insider tips from a local, me. (In the same spirit, I would have a hundred questions about New Hampshire so I certainly understand.)

Okay: #6. He sounds fine. I meant don't look like a tourist (rubbernecking, lost-looking, Bermuda shorts, etc.)

Yes, Hollywood still has supermarkets. The sidestreets are okay, the main boulevards are full of pedestrians, gawkers, and locals too.

And yes, I walked all around Hollywood at night for all those decades and never got jumped or had anything stolen, even cameras. Those were the days when I could find onstreet parking for the gigs I had to photograph, hence all the walking. (Most parking lots of clubs are full anyway.) I can't gauge how street savvy I am, too subjective. But you are right, had anything ever happened, I would have let them steal it: it's not worth losing your life.

I listed these suggestions because you said he was not used to big cities. If I were asking questions about NH forest environments I wasn't used to, I might find I would be getting similar advice about potential predators: don't look at them, because it engages them, and when they are threatened, they might attack.

There are very nice gated apt. communities surrounding the studios in Burbank, which is just over the hill from Hollywood, for all the folks that work for the film, tv and music companies there. There's also security buildings in Hollywood. If he had the financial choice, yes, it might be better to live in a safer haven, drive in to school. Does the school offer practice rooms with safe storage for instruments as do recording studios? This I wouldn't know.

As soon as he starts making friends there, again, there is safety in numbers.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM

97 posts, read 646,714 times
Your son is in for a life of poverty as a musician.He should think about throwing down the guitar and picking up a business school text book.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM

97 posts, read 646,714 times
Encounters with street people are impossible to avoid if you spend any amount of time in LA.I have never had a problem with the homeless but have seen some real crazy stuff.The gang idiots are the worst losers of all.Tell your son to be very careful of these people.Most of them are armed and are very likely to do you harm if you cross them.I would avoid walking alone at night time,check out rental properties very well before moving in.If you see mexicans in flannel shirts and ball caps move to the other side of the street quickly.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:25 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times
Your son is in for quite a culture shock coming from New Hampshire. If he isn't going to drive a car, I agree that it is best to keep him off the street as much as possible by locating him as close to the school as you can. The less exposure he has to the street people, homeless people, hustlers, etc. , the safer he will likely be. Since he won't be familiar with the area, it will probably be safer for him to walk along the main streets than to take side streets. I used to live in Hollywood on N. Sycamore and never had any problems with safety, but theft was a big problem in our building. Also, a friend of mine used to live in an apartment on Cherokee and she never had a problem with her safety either. However, I was solicited a couple of times when I went jogging near Sunset Blvd, so you might want to warn your son that there are a lot of really CREEPY people in this city who will approach him for a number of nefarious reasons, as well as good people who will help him get his music career started. Also, you might want to check with the school to see if there are any other music students coming from New Hampshire who might be agreeable to meeting your son and sharing an apartment together to lower expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles