U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 19,430 times

Advertisements

I recently received a bill from a collection agency acting on behalf of the Santa Monica courts telling me i owed them $766 dollars for a red light ticket.

It included the following threats:

Garnishing Wages
Attaching my bank account
Filing a lien on my property

My problem is I never received any ticket before this. I checked the court website and there is record of a citation but no picture or anything proving its not a mistake. Supposedly this happened a year ago during a time i normally would be at work in a city a rarely go to.

I was wondering why i was able to register my car and renew my license if i had this thing on my record and found out that the redlight program is possibly ending at the end of july and that there is a state vehicle code that doesn't require local courts to place a hold on the driver's licenses of motorists who fail to pay their red-light camera tickets and prevent them from renewing their licenses until they do.

I called the court to try and get proof that this citation is legit and not a mistake. But was lost in an automated system that provided no answers.

Should I pay this? Will the program ending negate the ticket? Can GC services legally follow through with these threats?

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 PM

804 posts, read 2,561,384 times
Go to the court in person and figure out what is going on. The collection company will threaten what ever they feel like but 90% are just bluffs.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM

16,630 posts, read 34,724,118 times
I believe it's ending in LA City. Still, you should fight it.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM

63 posts, read 132,285 times
IANAL but it seems that part of the problem the city was having was that payment was voluntary and did not affect your record. » L.A. County Red Light Cameras Drain Taxpayers, Not Drivers - Big Government

Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 19,430 times
yeah i guess i have to go to the court ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or