U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:32 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,043,677 times

Advertisements

Remember there is a difference between LAPD and LA County Sheriff Department.
The County Sheriff's had some bad apples as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:33 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,073,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There's nothing surprising about this at all. The NYPD is a much better department.
I heard Bratton was trying to increase LAPD officers over 10,000.

For a large city, Los Angeles always has the lowest ratios police personal. Before the Second World War, the LAPD only had 2,000 officers. During Parker's time, it reached over 4,000. Not surprisingly, the LAPD has had a massive dropout in officers later in the 20th Century.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,725,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Remember there is a difference between LAPD and LA County Sheriff Department.
The County Sheriff's had some bad apples as well.
Pitchess and Block were both pretty nasty. Pitchess introduced the "Parker style" into the Sheriffs Department and declared an all-out war on the counterculture (he was the dominant figure in L.A. law enforcement during the height of the countercultural era - the two LAPD chiefs between Parker and Davis were relative nonentities). One of the few differences between Block and Gates was that while Gates was constantly at war with the media, Block cozied up to the media and enjoyed friendly relations with the media. Their policing philosophies were very similar. The Sheriffs, however, despite also being brutal and violent, did a better job at actually controlling crime than the LAPD or were percieved as doing a better job at controlling crime.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,725,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I heard Bratton was trying to increase LAPD officers over 10,000.

For a large city, Los Angeles always has the lowest ratios police personal. Before the Second World War, the LAPD only had 2,000 officers. During Parker's time, it reached over 4,000. Not surprisingly, the LAPD has had a massive dropout in officers later in the 20th Century.
He was indeed trying to increase the numbers above 10K, and Villaraigosa was supportive of this goal - unfortunately the City Council wasn't, and the city's budget difficulties have caused the goal to be abandoned. This is a shame. If L.A. had 15K cops it could be as safe as any large city in the US is.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,073,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
He was indeed trying to increase the numbers above 10K, and Villaraigosa was supportive of this goal - unfortunately the City Council wasn't, and the city's budget difficulties have caused the goal to be abandoned. This is a shame. If L.A. had 15K cops it could be as safe as any large city in the US is.
Another twist during the 1980s, they were able to take down a large number of gang members through programs like CRASH and Operation Hammer, and the department was around 8,000.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,618,770 times
My guess would be the most brutal police incidences happened in the 1800s, back when LA was evolving into a city shaking off it's wild west beginnings. Transitional eras are usually when the most roughness occurs. Local authorities did some fairly brutal things to set "examples" as a way of getting the citizens to fall in line, as well as run the rougher elements out of the area. There was plenty of brutality against Asians in that era, too, and I'm sure a share of it was at the hands of the law.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,424,840 times
My dad joined the LAPD after WWII. According to him, the police department didn't shape up until Chief Parker took command. I joined during the Ed Davis era, which is when my dad retired. The three losers I served under were Willie Willaims, Bernard Parks and Bill "The Carpetbagger" Bratton. All they cared about was their personal gain. Williams was a loser from the start and seemed lost during his entire time in L.A. Parks and Bratton were quite the performers for the camera, but had little or no concern for the members of their command and the public in general. They had no qualms about being cozy with the politicians at City Hall. Now, Charlie Beck, there is a real police chief.

I don't understand all the complaints of LAPD being brutal, yelling at elderly people and looking for a good excuse to bash heads in. I'll admit, I've seen some unprofessional conduct from LAPD members in my 30+ year career, but it has been few and far between. With close to 10,000 uniformed members, there is always bound to be a few bad apples in the group. The LAPD has never been reluctant to show them the door when it has been justified. Bad behavior is not tolerated - period. I've never been apprehensive about reporting such behavior to my supervisors, either. I wear my badge with pride and don't want to be painted with the broad brush of negativity.

If you have a complaint, report it instead of ranting on this forum. The LAPD does not sweep citizen complaints under the rug. There are two sides to every story and each officer has to be totally accountable for his/her actions. Considering how heavy-handed the LAPD is with discipline and the proliferation of citizens using various recording devices, you can bet the bank that the majority of LAPD officers are always on their best behavior.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,681,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LAPD was never "brutal towards its residents". You "bruthas" always come on here with same kind of negative crap. The LAPD used appropriate methods to deal with the idiots they had to deal with. I dont think it would be appropriate (or safe) to approach a 1964 Chevrolet Impala on hydrolics with 5 black dudes wearing golf caps and locs while driving around with all windows down at 11:00pm with loud music blasting the same way they wold approach a BMW with 5 asian girls. The choke hold, battering ram, etc. were appropriate devices and methods to deal with the idiots of the day.
You don't need to be a brother to know that LAPD was brutal toward its residents, esp. during the Parker and Gates era. Your comments above are almost as idiotic as your hero Darryl Gates.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,681,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
The three losers I served under were Willie Willaims, Bernard Parks and Bill "The Carpetbagger" Bratton. All they cared about was their personal gain. Williams was a loser from the start and seemed lost during his entire time in L.A. Parks and Bratton were quite the performers for the camera, but had little or no concern for the members of their command and the public in general. They had no qualms about being cozy with the politicians at City Hall. Now, Charlie Beck, there is a real police chief.

I don't understand all the complaints of LAPD being brutal, yelling at elderly people and looking for a good excuse to bash heads in. I'll admit, I've seen some unprofessional conduct from LAPD members in my 30+ year career, but it has been few and far between. With close to 10,000 uniformed members, there is always bound to be a few bad apples in the group. The LAPD has never been reluctant to show them the door when it has been justified. Bad behavior is not tolerated - period. I've never been apprehensive about reporting such behavior to my supervisors, either. I wear my badge with pride and don't want to be painted with the broad brush of negativity.

If you have a complaint, report it instead of ranting on this forum. The LAPD does not sweep citizen complaints under the rug. There are two sides to every story and each officer has to be totally accountable for his/her actions. Considering how heavy-handed the LAPD is with discipline and the proliferation of citizens using various recording devices, you can bet the bank that the majority of LAPD officers are always on their best behavior.
Thanks for your service but I have to disagree. If we measure these LAPD police chiefs by crime levels Chief Gates gets the lowest marks as he presided over a period of rising violence. His idiotic, heated rhetoric only made things worse.

By contrast, the three losers you disliked presided over a period of falling crime.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 AM

46 posts, read 70,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LAPD was never "brutal towards its residents". You "bruthas" always come on here with same kind of negative crap. The LAPD used appropriate methods to deal with the idiots they had to deal with. I dont think it would be appropriate (or safe) to approach a 1964 Chevrolet Impala on hydrolics with 5 black dudes wearing golf caps and locs while driving around with all windows down at 11:00pm with loud music blasting the same way they wold approach a BMW with 5 asian girls. The choke hold, battering ram, etc. were appropriate devices and methods to deal with the idiots of the day.
Really? So by your logic black men are more innately dangerous than asians. How should the police have approached Seung-Hui Cho when he murdered 32 innocent people single handedly? Last time I checked no black man has killed that many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles