U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,988,392 times

Advertisements

LAPD is okay now. Not great, but I know they go through a lot of crap. Far from perfect, but I'll give them a pass.

Sheriff's department (aka nothing better than low life thugs) is another story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,331,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf2011 View Post
Really? So by your logic black men are more innately dangerous than asians.
Not only are you missing the point, you are failing to understand the issue here. Its unfortunate but is a reality that a bit of profiling DOES and has always existed in police work. It is NOT about blacks being more innately dangerous than asians, its the COMPLETE PICTURE AND THE SITUATION - 5 black guys in a lowrider, booming rap music, windows down when its 55 degrees at 11:00 at night, wearing golf caps and blue bandanas while leaning all low in the seats, vs. 5 Asian chicks in a BMW driving down figueroa on 54th street. Any trained offer or sane person would KNOW that one presents more danger than the other.

Well its obvious you and the others here who so strongly disagree with my earlier post have no idea what its like being a police officer. Better yet, a police officer with the LAPD. I have first hand and behind the scenes knowledge of this issue.

Its no secret that the ONLY people who claim that LAPD was/is brutal towards its residents ARE IN FACT those who themselves ARE of the criminal type and it just so happens that these are those in the black (and what used to be black) communities. So people here can pretend that this isnt about race when at the core of the issue, those who complain about the LAPD have in fact always been blacks in the worst areas of the city.

Yes, it definitely pulls on your heart strings when you see a mother and grandmother crying about their child/grandchild dying due to a police chokehold. That is ALWAYS unfortnate and any parent could be brought to tears in thinking about having to bury their child. But what you dont know is that their little baby Tommy, aka Big Steel Loc Dog, aka Main Street Crip big OG veteran gangsta blood killa who is 18 years old with a 4 page rap sheet and arrest history, was not complying with the officers orders and resisting arrest prior to being patted down to make sure he's not carrying a weapon, so he decided to fight the officers.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM

775 posts, read 1,018,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LAPD was never "brutal towards its residents". You "bruthas" always come on here with same kind of negative crap. The LAPD used appropriate methods to deal with the idiots they had to deal with. I dont think it would be appropriate (or safe) to approach a 1964 Chevrolet Impala on hydrolics with 5 black dudes wearing golf caps and locs while driving around with all windows down at 11:00pm with loud music blasting the same way they wold approach a BMW with 5 asian girls. The choke hold, battering ram, etc. were appropriate devices and methods to deal with the idiots of the day.
You obviously don't know what you're talkiing about. LAPD has been brutal toward law abiding minority residents for decades. That's not to say they haven't ever been brutal toward white residents as well. The best you could do was come up with an extreme situation that is in no way the predominant scenario when LAPD encounters black male motorists.

Aside from that, you seem to think that it's OK to brutalize people based strictly on their appearance and what they're driving, rather than how they actually interface with the police.

Good show, genius.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,467,401 times
[quote=LaoTzuMindFu;19747693]

Its no secret that the ONLY people who claim that LAPD was/is brutal towards its residents ARE IN FACT those who themselves ARE of the criminal type and it just so happens that these are those in the black (and what used to be black) communities. So people here can pretend that this isnt about race when at the core of the issue, those who complain about the LAPD have in fact always been blacks in the worst areas of the city.
quote]

1. I have never been arrested of a crime
2. I am not black
3. I live in Sherman Oaks

Your points are disproven.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM

775 posts, read 1,018,076 times
Quote:
Not only are you missing the point, you are failing to understand the issue here. Its unfortunate but is a reality that a bit of profiling DOES and has always existed in police work. It is NOT about blacks being more innately dangerous than asians, its the COMPLETE PICTURE AND THE SITUATION - 5 black guys in a lowrider, booming rap music, windows down when its 55 degrees at 11:00 at night, wearing golf caps and blue bandanas while leaning all low in the seats, vs. 5 Asian chicks in a BMW driving down figueroa on 54th street. Any trained offer or sane person would KNOW that one presents more danger than the other.

Well its obvious you and the others here who so strongly disagree with my earlier post have no idea what its like being a police officer. Better yet, a police officer with the LAPD. I have first hand and behind the scenes knowledge of this issue.

Yes, it definitely pulls on your heart strings when you see a mother and grandmother crying about their child/grandchild dying due to a police chokehold. That is ALWAYS unfortnate and any parent could be brought to tears in thinking about having to bury their child. But what you dont know is that their little baby Tommy, aka Big Steel Loc Dog, aka Main Street Crip big OG veteran gangsta blood killa who is 18 years old with a 4 page rap sheet and arrest history, was not complying with the officers orders and resisting arrest prior to being patted down to make sure he's not carrying a weapon, so he decided to fight the officers.

You are a damn liar. LAPD has brutalized law abiding citizens who don't even fit any kind of gangster profile. They've done it to me on three different occasions in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. I have not so much as ever been arrested and I have never dressed in a manner that would lead anyone to think I had any kind of gang affiliation:

1. 1974 - 17 years old, pulled over at 88th and Wadsworth around 8:30 p.m. for Driving While Black (in a black neighborhood, no less), or for being a teenager. Their story was I had a tail light out. A blatant lie. I walked to the back of the car to look at the lights because I switched to my parking lights when they pulled me over. Both tail lights on - until he took his baton and broke one of the lights out. Asked me "Where did you steal the 8-track from?". When I produced the receipt he called me a "Smart-assed Ni@@er" and busted me over the head with his night stick. When he demanded that I open the trunk I asked him for probable cause or a search warrant. I also asked for a Supervisor. He hit me over the head again and proceeded to tear out my back seat and throw everything into the street. Mind you, I had no wants, no warrants, did not fit the description of someone who has just robbed a liquor store (that's generally the lie they gave for pulling you over when you have done nothing illegal while driving down the street). No drugs, no weapons found in the car or the trunk or on my person. So he writes me up for an equipment violation (broken tail light) and says "We're going around the corner. When we get back here you better have all this s*&+ cleaned up and you better be gone, or we're taking you to jail. I cleared out before they came back around. Let's just say that since that day, my attitude for a long time was "F&^k the police".

2. 1983 - Coming from a library study session at UCLA with a buddy. LAPD busts a U-turn in the middle of Wilshire Blvd. Why? Two black men in old car driving through Westwood. We get pulled over, go through the routine - license, registration; they separate us, our stories match up. "What are you two doing around here, blah blah". When they didn't find any drugs, guns, etc., they accused us of having stolen some jewelry from some jewelry store on Pico Blvd. Annoyed at the harrasment, I took off my well-worn $17.00 Timex and tossed it on the trunk of my car. Then I placed my hands on the trunk and spread my legs for a search. I looked at the younger one and said "Wow. Guilty as charged! You guys are going to get promoted to Detective any day now!". The older one kind of grinned a little, but the younger got pissed and threw me to the ground. I offered no resistance. The older one pulled him off of me, apoligized (shocking!) and sent us on our way.

I could go on with LAPD brutality stories, but the one that takes the cake was when I saw them shoot an unarmed man in the head on the Northeast corner of 43rd St. and Broadway in broad daylight, as he stood with his arms outstretched. He had already been searched and it was clear that he posed no threat to the 5 officers that were surrounding him on the sidewalk. They stopped him on suspicion of stealing a six-pack of beer during the Watts Rebellion. They shot him in the head at point-blank range while he stood with his arms outstretched away from his sides. I witnessed this with my own eyes. When they realized that there had been witnesses that lived in the immediate area, they terrorized and intimidated our families for months afterwards.

So don't come in here and tell people that lie that "the ONLY people who claim that LAPD was/is brutal towards its residents ARE IN FACT those who themselves ARE of the criminal type..." You are a bald-faced liar.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,988,392 times
^There are two sides to the story (not your particular stories, but about LAPD treatment of people). LAPD does a lot of good too and has a very difficult job in the minority communities. And your stories go back to the 70s and 80s, a different time. Not saying LAPD is perfect today, some officers are real bad. I just tend to think LA county sheriffs are the most troublesome now, especially prison guards, they're not any better than the gangbangers they put away...

Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,070,590 times
Speaking of LASD, I remember one time I was on my way to McDonalds and some sheriff deputies stopped me to see if I had any priors. I was plain dressed. Seeing that I had a clean record, they let me go. No arrest, no beatings, just checking. And these were black deputies.

But yeah, you gotta be more careful of the LACSD than the LAPD. I've seen them pull people over than than the LAPD.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:56 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,467,401 times
I have 2 theories as to why the Sheriffs are more difficult to deal with.

1. All LA County Deputies must start in the jail before they can rotate to the street. This means that they are usually exposed to people who are currently locked up for various arrests 90% of the time. It's no secret that the overwhelming majority of prisoners in LA County awaiting trial are gang members. The younger Deputies tend to get the worst assignments because the older deputies who work the jail bid on the better assignments. So the Deputies in those worse assignments can get heavy with them. Then when these Deputies rotate to the street, they subconsciously tend to treat the public like they treated the prisoners at the jail.

2. Look at who the LASD attracts as Deputies. At least historically, they were all pure white; white bread, bologna, and mayonaise types. Outside of the city of LA and parts of the Gateway cities, most of LA County was like the aforementioned demographic until the 1980s. These were the candidates the Sheriff's Dept attracted. It now wouldn't surprise me if many of the Deputies that were hired since 2000 are originally from the San Gabriel Valley, South Bay suburbs like Torrance or Redondo Beach, Orange County, or the Inland Empire.

I have noticed that there are a substantial number of Hispanic officers on both the LAPD and LASD. They tend to be much nicer than the white officers. BTW, I am not Hispanic.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,680,906 times
Quote:

William Christopher, former Secretary of State and head of the Christopher Commission, was a law abiding citizen, white, and knew the LAPD's ugly history of police brutality.

Big city cops have a tough job, no question. But your blanket statements are really stupid and false.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:11 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,715,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
William Christopher, former Secretary of State and head of the Christopher Commission, was a law abiding citizen, white, and knew the LAPD's ugly history of police brutality.

Big city cops have a tough job, no question. But your blanket statements are really stupid and false.
Especially considering there are other big city departments which traditionally have treated people with more respect, like the SFPD, long acknowledged as California's best. Ironically, when Bratton was LAPD chief and when Fong was SFPD chief, perceptions of those departments reversed, and for the first time in history the LAPD became a better department than the SFPD - not counting media propaganda/spin put out by Parker and his sycophants like the LA Times, Jack Webb, and Quinn Martin.

As for Charlie Beck? Still too early to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles