U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,067,747 times

Advertisements

If you look at your local history on TV or books, there tons of information about the Los Angeles Police Department during its most brutal moments.

Do you think the LAPD was more brutal during the era of William Parker or Daryl Gates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,324,108 times
LAPD was never "brutal towards its residents". You "bruthas" always come on here with same kind of negative crap. The LAPD used appropriate methods to deal with the idiots they had to deal with. I dont think it would be appropriate (or safe) to approach a 1964 Chevrolet Impala on hydrolics with 5 black dudes wearing golf caps and locs while driving around with all windows down at 11:00pm with loud music blasting the same way they wold approach a BMW with 5 asian girls. The choke hold, battering ram, etc. were appropriate devices and methods to deal with the idiots of the day.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,466,752 times
I still think the LAPD is brutal toward residents. I moved here after living in several other major cities. SoCal law enforcement is a league of their own. I see them act as cop, judge, and jury like they would never make a mistake. I've seen them scream and rant at elderly citizens. I've seen them itch for a confrontation with some wealthy folks in the Valley just so they can pull their baton.

You ask them a question, they yell. This prompts you to yell back, which thereby "gives them the right" to get heavy with you.

From what I have read, it was way worse in the Parker years. They were told to bang heads. Obviouisly today is much better than under Gates as well.

The above poster is all tough law and order until it is his/her daughter/son that receives the backhand of the LAPD and him/her will be the first one to sue to collect the payday.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,710,985 times
Hard to say really. During Chief Parker's time, there was no camcorders and an aggressive media. You hear stories about the old days of suspect beatings, planting evidence, etc., but that's all they are, stories. During Chief Gates' time you could actually witness police beatings thanks to camcorders everywhere and stories of police corruption and misgivings were routine reporting in legitimate publications like the LA Times.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,729,081 times
Brutal or not brutal, I still feel better when I see a cop around.
Brutal or not brutal, I wouldn't mind having a cop (and/or a fireman) as a next door neighbor.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,067,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LAPD was never "brutal towards its residents". You "bruthas" always come on here with same kind of negative crap. The LAPD used appropriate methods to deal with the idiots they had to deal with. I dont think it would be appropriate (or safe) to approach a 1964 Chevrolet Impala on hydrolics with 5 black dudes wearing golf caps and locs while driving around with all windows down at 11:00pm with loud music blasting the same way they wold approach a BMW with 5 asian girls. The choke hold, battering ram, etc. were appropriate devices and methods to deal with the idiots of the day.
Can't you be a moron somewhere else?

This is not a race issue. The LAPD could be harsh towards anyone regardless of race. I can't say they were brutal, but they used rough tactics!

If anything, you're the one pulling the race card just like in any other thread posted by me.

Another thing, I like doing research on the Los Angeles Police Department because I'm a history nut!

Last edited by West of Encino; 06-24-2011 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,708,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Hard to say really. During Chief Parker's time, there was no camcorders and an aggressive media. You hear stories about the old days of suspect beatings, planting evidence, etc., but that's all they are, stories. During Chief Gates' time you could actually witness police beatings thanks to camcorders everywhere and stories of police corruption and misgivings were routine reporting in legitimate publications like the LA Times.
The L.A. Times was essentially a publicity organ for the LAPD and specifically for Parker when he was chief, and berated anyone who objected to his mispolicing policies and the department's general corruption and brutality as either a communist or tied to the mob. Parker knew how to work the media and used the media to make his reputation and that of the department better. Gates was constantly at war with the media and thus didn't have the same advantages in controlling the narrative that his mentor Parker had. In reality, the level of brutality and violence was about the same. The philosophy of policing was the same.

That said, although the LAPD was a thoroughly rotten department for decades, wasn't truly cleaned up until Bratton became chief, and although some issues remain, even in its worst days there have always been some good officers on the force.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,710,985 times
Yeah, it seems to have gotten better since Bratton was chief. Go figure eh, it took a police chief from New York to clean up the LAPD

Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Brutal or not brutal, I still feel better when I see a cop around.
Brutal or not brutal, I wouldn't mind having a cop (and/or a fireman) as a next door neighbor.
All the more reason why the California state law forbidding cities from mandating that police live within city limits should be repealed. It would further damage the Simi Valley real estate market but the costs would be worth it. Said law, according to an article I read in the SF Chronicle, arose from allegations that such laws discriminated against minorities who wanted to join the San Francisco Police Department. (In L.A. this would not have been as much of an issue). It was one of the worst laws the ACLU ever supported. While it would be difficult for very expensive cities like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Malibu, the South Bay beach cities, or South Pasadena to require cops to live within city limits, it would be feasible in Los Angeles. If the cops live in the community they are more motivated to keep it safe and to have ties within the community. In addition, more cops living in the community make it a better community overall.

Parker favored a small police force without ties to the community. Thus L.A. has historically been an underpoliced city which is the root of LAPD brutality and violence. More cops on the street means less of a siege mentality amongst police and more ties between cops and the community, factors which discourage brutality and violence. While the LAPD's numbers have been boosted in the 2000s, the city's budget problems have caused the gains to be somewhat reversed.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Yeah, it seems to have gotten better since Bratton was chief. Go figure eh, it took a police chief from New York to clean up the LAPD
There's nothing surprising about this at all. The NYPD is a much better department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles