Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLUE 909SUR View Post
Gangs in los angeles have been around way before 1981 chicano (mexican americans) started the first gang in the late 1800's "dogtown 13" which is still active today chicano's are the originators of gang culture in america the baggy clothes, bandannas,colors,violent gang initiations,gang hand signs,graffiti etc. This chicano sub culture has existed in los angeles for more than a hundred years the blacks didn't get started until 1969 with the crips copying the chicano sub culture before that blacks only had social clubs/groups they didnt dress gangster or do gangster activity
I'm confused. Is this something worth bragging about? Or are you merely clarifying Afro American involvement in gang history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I'm confused. Is this something worth bragging about? Or are you merely clarifying Afro American involvement in gang history?
It always seems to blur the line between bragging and stating facts eh? Some things are amazing like the art. Or even the lowriders. It's a shame they had to go hand and hand with a violent past.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I think it could be argued that gangs have existed in L.A since L.A started. Read about the very early days about L.A , murder rates were very high and there was a lot of questionable activity going on. It is interesting that people think gangs are a modern problem. New York also used to be more gangster than it is now. From everything i've been reading it's much safer now than it has been probably ever. Maybe more gangsters or would be gangsters are now on their computers instead of on the streets? We could only hope.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
The City of Los Angeles has a Ph.D. "gang evaluator". I'm not sure what she does, but I went to Arroyo with her. (hi, Elaine!)
When I had a business on Slauson Avenue in 1972 the local gang was called "the US". the area was known then as "Flourescent" community and I heard the gang was later absorbed by another gang.
We employed locally and ran around the clock. We never had an issue. Later, the locals told me they thought I was either a major dealer or cop. i.e. young white guy with new trucks around all the time
No, I wouldn't due it today.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
How Long Have LA Gangs Existed?
For as long as there's been an LA.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 925 times
LA for the most part is a safe city, the violence have decline significantly since it's peak in the 80, 90 and early 2000's. One tricky part to be aware of is that LA is a huge city, crime statistics are conveniently spread evenly across the city, which make it seem safer than Chicago per say, but most of the crime is mainly around the south central area and parts of the east. Avoid south central, watts, Compton, and some East and North East LA areas at night and you should have no problems the rest of the city is pretty safe.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:31 PM

19 posts, read 35,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Depends where one is living, where one spends one's time, and one's demographics. If you look at the L.A. Times Homicide Report or LAPD Crime Maps there are clear patterns to where violence occurs. Sometimes violence occurs outside of those areas, but it most often tends to occur in the same places. Even within neighborhoods some streets are worse than others.

L.A. is much safer than Atlanta is, and, as a whole, when measured against other US cities, is about average in levels of violent crime.
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles