U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM

829 posts, read 2,658,722 times

Advertisements

Majoun-what gangs were coming out of palms? I never heard much about them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,704,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vop View Post
I was never trying to compare Mar Vista to South Central, and that's not what my objection of my post was either, all I'm saying is that Mar Vista has gone through some gentrification and it wasn't the Mr. Rodgers neighborhood that you are describing to everyone back in the 90's.
I don't think any area in SoCal is Mr. Rogers' neighborhood, but Mar Vista was perfectly fine in the '90s (Del Rey was more problematic and gang issues were very real, but OK imo). There were "bad streets" in MV (not counting Del Rey), however, like Wade St., but that wasn't typical of all of MV. Palms, OTOH, had some genuine issues which today are much diminished. The shooting Snoop Dogg was involved in was one example and gang activity was on a higher level. Palms really was teetering right on the edge of becoming a genuinely bad neighborhood. And the "eyesore" part makes it sound like you're describing Palms. There are still more "bad streets" in Palms than in MV (especially east of Motor Ave.) ; in the '90s there were considerably more.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Were or are there established gangs in palms?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Were or are there established gangs in palms?
There used to be Vinton Street Crips who were tied to the Playboy Gangsters from Cadillac-Corning. I'm pretty sure that Snoop Dogg was friends with them and was hanging with them when he shot Philip Waldermarian. Westside Locos were a small gang but they were allied at various times with V13 and with 18th Street. Helms 13 were (are?) a very small gang around Venice and Helms (that area between the Culver City border and the 10 doesn't really have a name, but often considered either part of Palms or part of South Robertson) Korean Killers were pretty big in Palms and may still be there (despite their name, they're Korean themselves rather than anti-Korean), and there are other Asian gangs there (although Asian gangs tend to keep a low profile). There were 18th Street members who moved into Palms in the '80s and established a presence there. I don't know if they are still there or not. In the '90s all these gangs were very active.

Not sure about the current situation but Palms has far less crime and less gang activity than in the past. There still are gang members especially east of Motor but I'm not sure about what gangs there are now. It's become one of the safer neighborhoods in L.A. That was definitely not true 15 or 20 years ago. Even Palms has seen a little gentrification.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,883,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
People who live in South Central don't call it "South LA".

The L.A. Times uses the term "South Central" to refer to a specific area within the region it refers to as "South LA" which is commonly known as "South Central" to both residents and nonresidents. I suspect the use of the term "South LA" to describe the larger area in everyday speech may be a transplant thing (albeit one with official recognition, unlike the misuse of the term "eastside").
What happened was that the LA City Council passed a resolution that the area should be referred to as "South Los Angeles" not "South Central" in an attempt to distance the community from the negativity associated with the name South Central. Pretty much all media went along with it.

Most black people in South LA call it "LA" or Los Angeles without "South" or "South Central" included, unless maybe they are talking to someone who may not understand that LA = South LA. The South part is just understood. Not sure what Hispanics call it.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,066,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What happened was that the LA City Council passed a resolution that the area should be referred to as "South Los Angeles" not "South Central" in an attempt to distance the community from the negativity associated with the name South Central. Pretty much all media went along with it.

Most black people in South LA call it "LA" or Los Angeles without "South" or "South Central" included, unless maybe they are talking to someone who may not understand that LA = South LA. The South part is just understood. Not sure what Hispanics call it.
Probably South Los, just like they call East LA East Los.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Majoun-Im surprised 18th st and v13 allied together..that goes against everything common for surenos....assuming the locos were surenos.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Majoun-Im surprised 18th st and v13 allied together..that goes against everything common for surenos....assuming the locos were surenos.
West Side Locos AFAIK were presumably surenos (although I'm not totally sure about this) and at various times allied with V13 and at other times with 18th Street - which is odd considering V13 and 18th Street are bitter enemies. V13 and 18th Street NEVER allied together (they completely despise each other, and there were many deaths that have come from that rivalry in the 1980s and 1990s after 18th Street moving into Palms made them much geographically closer to V13 than they'd ever been before), but West Side Locos at times was allied with one or the other. They were a small gang and I have no idea if they still exist. When they were allied with V13 it was because of the West Side Locos' main local rival being Sotel - i.e. the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Last edited by majoun; 06-26-2011 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM

938 posts, read 3,737,225 times
There has been slight residential gentrification in the parts of South LA closest to USC, the 10, and the new Expo light rail. West Adams, University Park, and Jefferson Park (in that order), have had a sizable amount of young professionals move in, presumably attracted by the architecture and convenient location. The finer streets in West Adams (i.e, 25th Pl) are largely gentrified, and if you visit around 5pm, you can see the (typically Black lesbian) gentrifiers coming home from work. Oddly enough, while there is a decent-sized professional class in those areas (that some might not even notice, given many of the said gentrifiers are black), the retail component to these nabes is severely lagging, and has not yet caught up to the new development. Hopefully the Expo Line will serve as a development catalyst in these areas.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,680,316 times
South Central LA (or whatever you want to call it) has the potential for revitalization:

1. U.S.C. (since Steve Sample's leadership the school has actually tried to engage the community).
2. Exposition Park (Space Shuttle is coming and recent expansion should add cache to the area).
3. Multiple Mass Transit Lines: Green Line, Blue Line, Expo Line (opens in late 2011), FUTURE Crenshaw line.
4. Central Ave cultural corridor.
5. Watts Towers
6. Cresnshaw/Lemiert Park

Last but not least, So Central has an excellent climate. Sounds stupid to say so but really much more pleasant than the climate in surrounding inland valleys (SFV, SGV, IE, etc).

The vestiges of gang activity is what still haunts So. Central. Much better than the late 1980's or early 1990's when So. Central blazed nearly as bad as places like Medellin, Colombia. As areas near U.S.C. grow and develop, perhaps the gangs have/will recede into the background. Jefferson Park has a great housing stock as does other parts of West Adams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or