U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 13,975 times

Advertisements

some whites are moving into Ladera Heights especially lower Ladera. Next census we'll see a substantial increase in the non African American population. Look at the prices rises that are going on, you can't find anything lower then 800,000 in upper and lower Ladera and with the tech boom of West LA we'll see alot of non blacks moving in as Playa Del Rey, Culver City and Westchester continue to become crazy expensive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 PM

206 posts, read 394,607 times
I'm not so sure about that, I suspect within 10 years that area will be under 50% black. The last few times I was at the Crenshaw Plaza I was shock to see so many white people. A lot of them were young men. There was also a lot of latinos that look middle class and not those who are recent immigrants. The other group I've noticed were a lot of middle-eastern people. The mall which just a few years ago was majority black, now looks to be about 50% of the clientele. Of course it still has the influence of the African American community, but for how long?

My mother in-law lives in the area in an apartment, and I'm shocked at how quickly the demagraphics has changed in the last two years. There are young white people all up and down her street, many of them young guys. I've also noticed a good number of young asians, as well as Indians.

I was in the area last week and went to the Albertson's supermarket one evening. In that shopping center there is a Buffalo Wild Wings, and I guess that is the night time hang out spot. My wife and I noticed not one black person going in or coming out, as there were a lot of people going in. We watch young white men, Latinos (both men and women) and some young Asians guys go in and out of this place. The neighborhood for sure is still black, but I have definitely seen a big change in the last two years just as an outsider visiting from time to time.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:58 AM

I agree LA fan I've seen the change as well in the last three or so years. As an African American the reality is were going to get some what priced out of the area(mainly ladera). Their just isn't enough of us that earn high incomes lining up to purchase and move there. I know three families that lived in View Park and Upper Ladera that moved out and went to Calabasas, Northridge and Hidden Hills.

When I started looking for a house in the area I was a little shocked at how many non blacks i seen at open houses. Talking to local real estate agents they confirmed that they are seeing a lot of non blacks coming in and putting in offers. With many people being priced out of West LA and the Tech companies and start ups that are moving in to Playa Vista people that own homes in Ladera should see some good appreciation on their property.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:15 PM

614 posts, read 1,289,674 times
Are you sure they didn't move by choice? People being priced out of view park will most likely be priced out of Calabasas and hidden hills as well.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 PM

822 posts, read 1,040,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I'm not so sure about that, I suspect within 10 years that area will be under 50% black. The last few times I was at the Crenshaw Plaza I was shock to see so many white people. A lot of them were young men. There was also a lot of latinos that look middle class and not those who are recent immigrants. The other group I've noticed were a lot of middle-eastern people. The mall which just a few years ago was majority black, now looks to be about 50% of the clientele. Of course it still has the influence of the African American community, but for how long?

My mother in-law lives in the area in an apartment, and I'm shocked at how quickly the demagraphics has changed in the last two years. There are young white people all up and down her street, many of them young guys. I've also noticed a good number of young asians, as well as Indians.

I was in the area last week and went to the Albertson's supermarket one evening. In that shopping center there is a Buffalo Wild Wings, and I guess that is the night time hang out spot. My wife and I noticed not one black person going in or coming out, as there were a lot of people going in. We watch young white men, Latinos (both men and women) and some young Asians guys go in and out of this place. The neighborhood for sure is still black, but I have definitely seen a big change in the last two years just as an outsider visiting from time to time.
Some of these people are actually there to shop at Walmart marts that's the only one I'm LA proper. A lot of USC students go there to shop hence the Middle Easterners, Caucasian and Asians you are seeking in the area. Also there was and still remains a historic Asian population in the area. They could be someone's grand kids or kids.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Are you sure they didn't move by choice? People being priced out of view park will most likely be priced out of Calabasas and hidden hills as well.
Sorry I didn't place that statement correctly. With my comment I was speaking about how I know high income black families that are moving out of the area. Yes Calabasas and Hidden Hills are much more expensive.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM

7,352 posts, read 4,109,137 times
I don't think the demographics will change as rapidly as suggested. Aside from families fleeing the Jungle so their sons don't end up Black P Stones there is no "Black flight" like there was once "White flight" to speed that change

Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 AM

822 posts, read 1,040,628 times
IMO due to historical animosities and perceptions (sometimes misperceived) on both sides, whites generally don't "gentrify" "black neighborhoods." Whites are more likely to move into Hispanic areas i.e. Highland Park, etc. Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park and Ladera Heights are certainly upscale areas and different than South Central so that might be a factor in its favor if so called gentrification is even a positive. I would say the fear factor weighs in on most whites decisions and outweighs any price to value considerations. Another factor is where will you send your kids to school? So the price of the homes doesn't factor in the fact you have to send them to private schools.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM

7,352 posts, read 4,109,137 times
I grew up there in the 70s and more than half of the Black families did not send their kids to the then Audubon Jr and Dorsey Sr high schools.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM

8 posts, read 25,401 times
I have a friend who lives in Inglewood and I was visiting from NYC and we went to the Ladera Shopping area (Centinela/La Tijera) and I noticed a lot of white girls there with their black boyfriends but no white guys or Asians. I do not think this area will ever get gentrified as most whites do no like to live amongst blacks. Like I said the only whites in the area are white girls dating blacks. I am black BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or