Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,191 times

Advertisements

hi. i want to learn something more about la. let me ask some questions about city in this thread. ok so for the start.

what people in los angeles mean when they say east la? is it this 100.000 area called east los angeles or whole region (this area east los angeles, boyle heights, terrace, el sereno etc)?

that's only for the start. i'll ask more questions later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
There is the unincorporated area called East Los Angeles, which is not part of the city of Los Angeles, but is part of Los Angeles County.

However, the term East LA I have heard applied to at least 3 different areas.

1. The unincorporated area of East Los Angeles mentioned above
2. The neighborhoods of the city of Los Angeles east of dowtown, so Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights
3. I have also heard it applied to not just Boyle Heights and Lincoln Heights, but also to Northeast Los Angeles, including Mt. Washington, Cypress Park, and the area near CSU- Los Angeles.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:12 PM

yes, but what we really mean when we say los angeles. i think that people use term la more to whole la county than to just a city of los angeles. i think that it's about neighborhoods east of downtown and some places in eastern la county but im not sure. it would be quite strange to call east los angeles region without east los angeles unincorporated area like south la (people add places like compton etc but its not in city of la but in la county). but im not sure

i always thought that northeast la is different thing than east la

Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
I grew up in Lincoln Heights and El Sereno. We never referred to our neighborhood as East L.A. If someone didn't know where Lincoln Heights/El Sereno was, we referred to it as Northeast l.A.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
East Los Angeles (region) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

East Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

East Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM

i dont want wikipedia stuff but opinions of people from la and what they call east los angeles, thanks for responses

Old 06-27-2011, 09:43 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
For East Los Angeles I've always thought of it East of the LA River, the area south of the 10 and north of the 5. Basically East of Downtown.

Now there's the designation of "Eastside" which was either coined by people on the "Westside" or transplants which implicitly means neighborhoods East of Hollywood.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM

i always thought that "east side" starts from the southeast la to east and "west side" from southwest la to west. probably main street makes the line. like you got in street names. east of main street it's E Slauson Avenue and west of Main street you got W Slauson Avenue. "Westside" ive always called area like santa monica, beverly hills, venice, brentwood etc but never consider hollywood as a part of westside. hollywood is just hollywood. meybe west hollywood. and "eastside" i think its another name for East Los Angeles region.

I mean LA neighborhoods, regions etc is not easy thing like in for example ny where you got 5 boroughs and every borough has neighborhoods. My look at LA is like this

Downtown Los Angeles - from south santa monica fwy, from west harbor fwy, from east la river and from north chinatown is last neighborhood.

South Central Los Angeles (South Los Angeles) - is under santa monica freeway. all south la neighborhoods plus compton, inglewood, athens, willowbrook, lynwood etc. im not sure about places like florence, south gate, huntington park.

East Los Angeles - East of Downtown, East LA, Boyle Heights and few more.

Northeast Los Angeles - Eagle Rock, Highland Park, pasadena etc.

Hollywood - hollywood, los feliz, silverlake

San Fernando Valley - starts probably from the glendale or burbank.

Westside - Santa Monica, West LA, Beverly etc

Wilshire - Central neighborhoods east of downtown like koreatown etc

South Bay - carson, long beach, harbor, gardena, manhattan beach and some of upscale neighborhoods

Last edited by dk3126; 06-27-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles