Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times

Advertisements

if you go to venice beach and want to enjoy the sand and surf you have choose your spot wisely. the kelp issue cannot be controlled, but if you stay south of washington blvd a few hundred yards it's like you have the entire beach to yourself. anything north of washington all the ways up to the santa monica pier is going to be very crowded. however, even at it's most crowded, LA beaches are nothing like those in rio http://blog.brillianttrips.com/wp-co...nema-beach.jpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Here's a shot I took last July at Zuma beach:

Old 06-27-2011, 02:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here's a shot I took last July at Zuma beach:
A very great picture. Zuma's become much more diverse than I remember it as being ; haven't been there in years. A good representation of many of L.A.'s ethnicities on the beach and coexisting together.

As for Venice: I wouldn't go in the water myself unless I wanted some type of infection. It isn't just the kelp one has to worry about. The activities that go on at night on the sand result in syringes and used condoms in the water. And whatever one does - stay off the sand at night unless one is involved in the very sordid activities that go on there. I'm hesitant about using the public bathrooms on the beach even during the day and wouldn't think about doing so at night due to one of the wildest and craziest cruising/cottaging scenes in all of Los Angeles, fueled by the rampantly available meth. If you are not a hard drug user, hard drug dealer, or involved in said cruising scene you have NO business being on the sand at night and are looking for trouble by doing so. Regretfully thanks to severe homeless problems particularly with runaways the central area of Ocean Front Walk (from Brooks to Venice Blvd.) and surrounding Central Beach/Windward Circle neighborhood of Venice , which used to be relatively safe at night if one took precautions, is no longer safe at night. North Beach is still relatively safe (provided one stays off the sand at night) and South Beach and the Peninsula are even safer (the nicest and most expensive areas of Venice Beach, closer to Marina Del Rey, again provided one stays off the sand at night - although this area has less sleaze as a whole and aside from the area by Washington Blvd. tends to be more residential).

I agree with West of Encino that Venice's general problems and the neglect of Venice are the result of it being part of the city of L.A. If Venice was its own city it would be safer, cleaner, and far less problematic. L.A. has long neglected Venice. It generally takes extremely sensational crimes to happen for the LAPD to devote police resources to Venice.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
California beaches really aren't what most experts would call "world class". Northern CA beaches are too cold and southern CA beaches are too polluted. But to be faor, the best beach in California is in southern California, but it's not in LA, it's Coronado beach in San Diego.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 AM

69 posts, read 149,779 times
Yamota, that's the beach I was referring to when I said I wouldn't mention it because I didn't want more people there. LOL I love staying at the Hotel del Coronado.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
oops! My bad. Everybody forget what I said

Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
I like Kelp noodles

Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
I haven't been to Venice Beach in a couple of years but when I was there it was fun and I had a great time.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
I'm not a fan of Venice, but not because of Kelp and flies. As someone pointed out earlier, this is a naturally occurring event that has been documented in the past few weeks. Here's an article from the Daily Breeze about it happening in Redondo Beach a couple weeks ago.

Swarms of black kelp flies descend on beach areas in Redondo Beach

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 47,920 times
Default Flies

The flies was just bad luck on your part. We had them down here in the South Bay too. It is just one of those things that happens once in a while. But no, it is definitely not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles