U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 PM

62 posts, read 126,547 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I live a block from the Sherman Oaks and Studio City dividing line and 100% agree with everything Nowincal said.

If you can afford Studio City close to Ventura (look near Ventura and Laurel Canyon), that's a great place to be. It's equally suited to 30s and single as it is to young with a family. Plus, hop on Laurel Canyon through the hills and you're literally 15-20 minutes from Hollywood nightlife.

As for traffic, post 10am and pre 3pm, the 101 isn't typically that bad. Even during rush hour, the 101 is bearable. Plus, there are often lots of alternatives if you have a good GPS. As log as you can normally avoid the misery that is the 405 during rush hour, you should be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,499 times
I'm actually planning on doing the same thing, living in Studio City and commuting to west SFV because of social things to do. I've done practice commutes a couple times and it seemed not terrible. Every time I've ever been on the 405 has been rough though, I'm not a fan of that road. I have a question for people who live in studio city though. How is the area around CBS? I'm planning on renting an apartment across the street and the few times I've gone it's seemed like a really nice area but I'd love to know what residents think. It has an insane walk score of like the high 90's but numbers and a few visits don't mean as much as actually experience. Does anyone have any opinions of that area of studio city? Thanks for any help.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 AM

17,444 posts, read 24,712,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejad View Post
I'm actually planning on doing the same thing, living in Studio City and commuting to west SFV because of social things to do. I've done practice commutes a couple times and it seemed not terrible. Every time I've ever been on the 405 has been rough though, I'm not a fan of that road. I have a question for people who live in studio city though. How is the area around CBS? I'm planning on renting an apartment across the street and the few times I've gone it's seemed like a really nice area but I'd love to know what residents think. It has an insane walk score of like the high 90's but numbers and a few visits don't mean as much as actually experience. Does anyone have any opinions of that area of studio city? Thanks for any help.
That is a very, very nice area. While south of Ventura is more expensive than north of Ventura, that area as a whole is a great place to live on either side of Ventura. If one does not have children that is amongst the best areas of the Valley to live in.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,467,089 times
The area by CBS; Radford and Ventura, is very hot right now. There's lots of restaurants and a few bars. Plus, you are walking distance to I think 2 Ralphs, CVS, Bed Bath and Beyond, and there's a giant Office Depot. There's also a lot of outdoor cafes along Ventura and Laurel Canyon area.

The Laurel Tavern is really a hotspot right now as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,734,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
The area by CBS; Radford and Ventura, is very hot right now. There's lots of restaurants and a few bars. Plus, you are walking distance to I think 2 Ralphs, CVS, Bed Bath and Beyond, and there's a giant Office Depot. There's also a lot of outdoor cafes along Ventura and Laurel Canyon area.

The Laurel Tavern is really a hotspot right now as well.

Would you live there if your job was in Canoga Park or Chatsworth or Simi Valley?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,734,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername123 View Post
Hello,

I am moving from San Diego CA to the San Fernando Valley for work. I've never been there before so I'm not sure where to live. I will be at 6 different offices around the area of the San Fernando Valley and close to Simi Valley. Right now I live in the Gaslamp area, I have lived in DC and in Philly. My question is, where should I live in that area that has a fun night life / social environment? I'm single, mid 30s, no kids etc and I won't know anyone there. So I'm just trying to figure out a part of town that I might be able to meet some new people.

Any info you can give would be very helpful.

Thanks!
What is your housing budget?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Would you live there if your job was in Canoga Park or Chatsworth or Simi Valley?
I would still tell him to. The commute to Canoga Park/Chatsworth is 30 minutes. Simi Valley add another 15-20. That's still not bad by LA standards.

For a young 30 something who is single, there is nothing going on up in Canoga Park, Chatsworth, or Simi Valley.

It will be impossible to meet people in a similar situation as him (i.e. single people his age) and this will force him to constantly be in the car anyway for social activities. Not to mention the mental factor of not having much going on.

If you live in Studio City, you don't have to drive for social activities which evens out with gas.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,785 times
Thank you all for your responses. My budget is around $1,300 to $1,500 per month. Is that enough for a one bedroom in good spot in Studio City?

Thanks-
Michele

Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,499 times
I was looking at studio city all weekend and you can get something for around that price. I saw quite a few places that were around $1450. They were all smallish places, like less than 25 units and a communal washer/dryer. There's a couple on Tujunga Ave. I saw for that price a few blocks from Ventura Blvd. I was using West Side Rentals and almost all their 1 bedroom listings in Studio City were in that price range.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM

You could also live on the eastern edge of Sherman Oaks and walk into Studio City...I do it all the time. Sherman Oaks tends to be a bit cheaper.

In both Studio City and Sherman Oaks, the vast majority of apartments are smaller buildings. All over LA, unless construction is post 2000, washer/dryer will not be in unit and will be communal.

The Plaza at Sherman Oaks is a massive complex they have a website, but it is more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or