U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: 'Murica
1,302 posts, read 2,483,017 times
Reputation: 818

Advertisements

Good article. I had no idea that the Latino population of L.A. was only ~8% early last century. I kinda just thought that it remained somewhat steady at its current proportion throughout its history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,742,386 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Good article. I had no idea that the Latino population of L.A. was only ~8% early last century. I kinda just thought that it remained somewhat steady at its current proportion throughout its history.
The percentage of Latinos in L.A.'s population reached its all time low between 1900-1910.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
 
1,340 posts, read 1,161,279 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Ironically, during the "white spot" era Los Angeles was less white than San Francisco. (Very few blacks in pre-WW2 S.F.)

However, Los Angeles' whites at that time were mostly WASP while San Francisco's were mostly Catholic (and with more Jews and Orthodox Christians). To the proponents of the "white spot" idea that made a difference. S.F. had more white ethnics and was more welcoming of European immigrants (as was Oakland) ; in L.A., the WASPs were in charge, which appealed more to Lower Midwest types.
Interesting analysis. I think Orange, San Diego, Riverside Counties were very appealing to Lower Midwesterners too, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,683,276 times
Reputation: 690
It is true that Los Angeles received far fewer southern and eastern European immigrants (between 1890 to 1930) as compared to places like New York, Chicago, or even San Francisco. And there is no doubt that the LA Chamber of Commerce marketed heavily to midwestern WASPs during that period.

Having said that, LA's population was already starting to diversify during the period from 1900 to 1930 when many blacks, Latin Americans, and Asians moved to Los Angeles. In fact, the Japanese preffered LA over San Francisco (in contrast to the Chinese).

Based on the 1930 U.S. Census the "non-white" population of the City of Los Angeles was HIGHER (in percentage terms) than any other major U.S. city with the exception of Baltimore (which already had a large black population). The 1930 Census classified hispanics separately from whites.

So LA's non-white population in 1930 (black, asian, and Latino) was 14.2% as compared to: Chicago (7.6%); San Francisco (6.2%) and NYC (5.0%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,742,386 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Interesting analysis. I think Orange, San Diego, Riverside Counties were very appealing to Lower Midwesterners too, no?
People from the Lower Midwest, the Upper South, and Texas all found SoCal welcoming. L.A., O.C., S.D., Riverside, San Bernardino.

OC's oil industry attracted people from East Texas and Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,742,386 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
It is true that Los Angeles received far fewer southern and eastern European immigrants (between 1890 to 1930) as compared to places like New York, Chicago, or even San Francisco. And there is no doubt that the LA Chamber of Commerce marketed heavily to midwestern WASPs during that period.

Having said that, LA's population was already starting to diversify during the period from 1900 to 1930 when many blacks, Latin Americans, and Asians moved to Los Angeles. In fact, the Japanese preffered LA over San Francisco (in contrast to the Chinese).

Based on the 1930 U.S. Census the "non-white" population of the City of Los Angeles was HIGHER (in percentage terms) than any other major U.S. city with the exception of Baltimore (which already had a large black population). The 1930 Census classified hispanics separately from whites.

So LA's non-white population in 1930 (black, asian, and Latino) was 14.2% as compared to: Chicago (7.6%); San Francisco (6.2%) and NYC (5.0%).
What was the percentage of nonwhites in the population of DC? St. Louis? Atlanta? Houston? Memphis? New Orleans? Dallas? And, if Hispanics weren't counted as whites in 1930, what was the percentage of nonwhites in San Antonio (which had the largest population of Mexicans until Los Angeles surpassed it in the 1920s)?

Baltimore, like DC, had a sizeable black population even before the First Great Migration. The southern cities also had sizeable black populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 AM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,650 posts, read 7,077,961 times
Reputation: 2447
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What was the percentage of nonwhites in the population of DC? St. Louis? Atlanta? Houston? Memphis? New Orleans? Dallas? And, if Hispanics weren't counted as whites in 1930, what was the percentage of nonwhites in San Antonio (which had the largest population of Mexicans until Los Angeles surpassed it in the 1920s)?

Baltimore, like DC, had a sizeable black population even before the First Great Migration. The southern cities also had sizeable black populations.
The numbers and percentages of the non-Hispanic white population wasn't counted until 1980. For a brief period, blacks outnumbered Hispanics in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,683,276 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What was the percentage of nonwhites in the population of DC? St. Louis? Atlanta? Houston? Memphis? New Orleans? Dallas? And, if Hispanics weren't counted as whites in 1930, what was the percentage of nonwhites in San Antonio (which had the largest population of Mexicans until Los Angeles surpassed it in the 1920s)?

Baltimore, like DC, had a sizeable black population even before the First Great Migration. The southern cities also had sizeable black populations.
I don't know but I said "major" American city (meaning large population). As of the 1930 Census, no southern city even cracked the top ten. King cotton and the plantation economy of the south put the southern U.S. economy decades behind the industrial north. The result was a rural backwater with no large cities that could compete with the north.

The Top Ten Largest Cities in the U.S. in 1930:
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Detroit
5. Los Angeles
6. Cleveland
7. St. Louis
8. Baltimore
9. Boston
10. Pittsburgh

Los Angeles was the first west coast city to crack the Top 5 and of course circa 1930 was on the verge of hosting its first Olympic Games in 1932.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,683,276 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The numbers and percentages of the non-Hispanic white population wasn't counted until 1980. For a brief period, blacks outnumbered Hispanics in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
I am not so certain that is true. As of the 1970 Census, the Hispanic population in LA County was slightly more than 15%. The Black population was about 11% (again in LA County).

By the mid-1980's the Asian population surpassed African-Americans in sheer numbers in BOTH LA County and the State of California.

You might find this link interesting as it maps the history of the black population in LA County over the past several decades. It shows the heavy concentration of blacks in South Central in 1970 with the dispersal to places like the I.E. and high desert in recent decades.
http://www.bunche.ucla.edu/publications/BuncheResearchReportOctober2009.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,650 posts, read 7,077,961 times
Reputation: 2447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I am not so certain that is true. As of the 1970 Census, the Hispanic population in LA County was slightly more than 15%. The Black population was about 11% (again in LA County).

By the mid-1980's the Asian population surpassed African-Americans in sheer numbers in BOTH LA County and the State of California.

You might find this link interesting as it maps the history of the black population in LA County over the past several decades. It shows the heavy concentration of blacks in South Central in 1970 with the dispersal to places like the I.E. and high desert in recent decades.
http://www.bunche.ucla.edu/publications/BuncheResearchReportOctober2009.pdf (broken link)
I was referring to the City of Los Angeles actually. Guess I'm too biased for the LA city. Yes, Asians did surpass blacks in California during the 1980s and again in LA County in the 1990s.

Thanks for that link, btw. I'll check that out.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0076/CAtab.pdf
http://ccsre.stanford.edu/reports/report_9.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top