U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I was referring to the City of Los Angeles actually. Guess I'm too biased for the LA city. Yes, Asians did surpass blacks in California during the 1980s and again in LA County in the 1990s.

Thanks for that link, btw. I'll check that out.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0076/CAtab.pdf
http://ccsre.stanford.edu/reports/report_9.pdf

Yes, the city would be different than the county. Good link to the census data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I don't know but I said "major" American city (meaning large population). As of the 1930 Census, no southern city even cracked the top ten. King cotton and the plantation economy of the south put the southern U.S. economy decades behind the industrial north. The result was a rural backwater with no large cities that could compete with the north.

The Top Ten Largest Cities in the U.S. in 1930:
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Philadelphia
4. Detroit
5. Los Angeles
6. Cleveland
7. St. Louis
8. Baltimore
9. Boston
10. Pittsburgh

Los Angeles was the first west coast city to crack the Top 5 and of course circa 1930 was on the verge of hosting its first Olympic Games in 1932.
St. Louis is on that list. Its black population, like that of Baltimore, was sizeable even before the First Great Migration. The percentage of blacks in the overall population of St. Louis would have exceeded that of Los Angeles although St. Louis in 1930 had virtually no Asians.

In 1930 the biggest Southern city was New Orleans, not surprisingly the only Southern city that got large numbers of 19th and early 20th century immigrants - more than Los Angeles did - but I suspect the percentage of nonwhites in the population was probably higher. The percentage of WASP whites in the New Orleans population as a whole or in just the New Orleans white population would've been much lower than the percentages in the L.A. population (either the white population or the overall population).

Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
[quote=majoun;19841655]St. Louis is on that list. Its black population, like that of Baltimore, was sizeable even before the First Great Migration. The percentage of blacks in the overall population of St. Louis would have exceeded that of Los Angeles although St. Louis in 1930 had virtually no Asians.

quote]

I missed your reference to St. Louis the first time. In the 1930 Census the non-white population of St. Louis was 11.6% compared to LA's 14.2%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or