Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:20 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,351 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I will be in Los Angeles for about 2.5 days mid-week next month. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out the best way to see the sites that I want while avoiding freeway and rush hour traffic. I will be arriving mid-day and staying in Redondo Beach (affordable, non-touristy and near the water) and will also have a rental car.

Tentative Schedule
Day 1: Arrive mid-day. Rent car in Redondo Beach (much cheaper than LAX). Drive up to Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

Day 2: Leave hotel around 10 am. Visit Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Angelino Heights Victorian homes, Hollywood Walk of Fame and Grammy Museum in that order. Drive on Sunset Blvd all the way to the ocean.

Day 3: Leave 8 am to catch 10 am Catalina Island Ferry. Also visit Queen Mary. Explore downtown Long Beach.

Does this schedule sound possible? Any other suggestions? I thought about taking a tour, but most include places I am not interested in such as movie star homes and Rodeo Drive. I am open to any and all route suggestions, including public transit. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
LA, is pretty much constant traffic. You can avoid some of it by only driving between 11am-1pm or 9pm-5am. Other than that, just suck it up and leave plenty of time for travel.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
LA, is pretty much constant traffic. You can avoid some of it by only driving between 11am-1pm or 9pm-5am. Other than that, just suck it up and leave plenty of time for travel.
Thanks for your reply. I know it isn't possible to completely avoid traffic, but some times and routes have to be better than others. I am also open to public transit.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Realize the 405 freeway through the Sepulveda Pass will be closed over a weekend next month - but that shouldn't affect you - but who knows....

A rental car is the best way to go.

Wouldn't you want to switch the order of Grammy Museum and Hollywood Walk of Fame so as to take Sunset from Hollywood and not have to backtrack? More like this:

Forest Lawn Memorial Park to Hollywood Gatehouse - Google Maps

Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Realize the 405 freeway through the Sepulveda Pass will be closed over a weekend next month - but that shouldn't affect you - but who knows....

A rental car is the best way to go.

Wouldn't you want to switch the order of Grammy Museum and Hollywood Walk of Fame so as to take Sunset from Hollywood and not have to backtrack? More like this:

Forest Lawn Memorial Park to Hollywood Gatehouse - Google Maps
Thanks Charles. I will actually be leaving before the 405 closure, thank goodness.

Thanks for your suggestion, about switching the Walk of Fame with the Grammy Museum. I didn't realize how far apart they were- I thought it was the same area. This is why I need you guys, lol.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Hello everyone, I will be in Los Angeles for about 2.5 days mid-week next month. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out the best way to see the sites that I want while avoiding freeway and rush hour traffic. I will be arriving mid-day and staying in Redondo Beach (affordable, non-touristy and near the water) and will also have a rental car.

Tentative Schedule
Day 1: Arrive mid-day. Rent car in Redondo Beach (much cheaper than LAX). Drive up to Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

Day 2: Leave hotel around 10 am. Visit Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Angelino Heights Victorian homes, Hollywood Walk of Fame and Grammy Museum in that order. Drive on Sunset Blvd all the way to the ocean.

Day 3: Leave 8 am to catch 10 am Catalina Island Ferry. Also visit Queen Mary. Explore downtown Long Beach.

Does this schedule sound possible? Any other suggestions? I thought about taking a tour, but most include places I am not interested in such as movie star homes and Rodeo Drive. I am open to any and all route suggestions, including public transit. Thank you!
you should do fine avoiding traffic most of the trip (or avoiding some) I do think your second day is a bit over enthruistic.

Nita

Old 06-27-2011, 01:57 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,083 times
drive from santa monica to downtown LA using wilshire Blvd its a really nice drive

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 47,917 times
Default LAX to Redondo Beach?

You said that you are renting a car in Redondo Beach because it is cheaper than LAX. How are you getting there? You know that they are not close right?

You could try this: Shuttle to LAX | Shuttle From LAX | $20 Airport Shuttle | Shuttle2LAX. I think they are about the best deal around. Much cheaper than a taxi.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you should do fine avoiding traffic most of the trip (or avoiding some) I do think your second day is a bit over enthruistic.

Nita
Yeah, I was thinking I might be trying to do too much on the second day, lol. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
drive from santa monica to downtown LA using wilshire Blvd its a really nice drive
Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles