U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 15,374 times

Advertisements

My son will be moving to LA soon to attend CalState LA. He wants to establish residency so that future tuition will be instate rate. And since he's also one of the many wanting to break into the acting business, he plans to stay there indefinately. So that said, he is looking for a small apartment or shared room to start out. He'll be on a very tight/small budget. Monterey Park is very close to the campus so I was wondering if this would be a good area to look at? I'm not familiar with LA so wanted to get a feel for which areas would be the best, somewhat close to campus, not too high of a crime rate, to look for housing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,986,886 times
It's a safe area. Not glamorous or anything, but safe. Solidly middle class. Heavily Chinese.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,946,011 times
Sounds like a solid choice. And he'll be in heaven if he likes Chinese food (the authentic stuff: this part of the San Gabriel Valley is very Chinese). Nearby Alhambra is another option.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 15,374 times
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. That makes me feel alot better!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM

31,413 posts, read 17,557,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Sounds like a solid choice. And he'll be in heaven if he likes Chinese food (the authentic stuff: this part of the San Gabriel Valley is very Chinese). Nearby Alhambra is another option.
I wholeheartedly agree. You can tell when you're in a genuine Chinese restaurant when the menus are printed in both Chinese and English and when most of the patrons dining there are Chinese using chopsticks.

To the OP: Monterey Park is a safe place, so your son should be fine.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,356,324 times
My Naturopathic doctor is located in Monterey Park. The area seems to be quite pretty and very safe. My doctor says some people refer to it as the "The Chinese Beverly Hills" or "Little Taipei".

Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,823,703 times
Not safe for my waistline! LOL!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,986,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
My Naturopathic doctor is located in Monterey Park. The area seems to be quite pretty and very safe. My doctor says some people refer to it as the "The Chinese Beverly Hills" or "Little Taipei".
Chinese Beverly Hills would be inaccurate since it's not so wealthy. Parts of the city of San Gabriel and like San Marino have some wealthy Chinese though. LIttle Taipei soudns about right.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM

1,368 posts, read 2,991,126 times
Monterey Park was marketed to Taiwanese in the 1970s as the "Chinese Beverly Hills." Of course, it didn't really end up that way - it was an "up and coming" area that never quite got there. Most of the wealthy Taiwanese moved to San Marino or Arcadia. It became known as "Little Taipei" for quite some time. Most of the new immigrants to LA now are from China, not Taiwan, so Monterey Park has become a largely Chinese neighborhood.

However, most of the people living there presently are Chinese, not Taiwanese. Monterey Park is often the first point of entry for new immigrants from China, as one can survive there without speaking English. The part near the city center is VERY ethnic Chinese. Generally the area in the hills is quite nice, I would also say solidly middle class, with a lot of older Asians living there. Most areas of the city are pretty safe, although a small part of the city borders East LA.

It is really close to DTLA, and relatively affordable/safe. The number of Asians there might be a culture shock to some, however.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,749 times
Monterey Park used to be safe years 40 years ago. Alot of Asian and Hispanic gangs. Not a great place to raise your children. Also, alot of robberies and break-ins take place during the day while people are at work.Sorry folks, I used to live here years ago and have seen and heard alot of tragic stories. Not all of
the crimes are publicised or even in the media because it happens on a frequent basis. When you see steel
bars on all the windows of homes in a neighborhood, it might give you clear indication to look elsewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or