U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 PM

202 posts, read 330,768 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'll be in LA July 6th, flying back out to Cleveland July 9th. I actually did a summer in LA during college, but turns out LA is pretty freakin' ginormous. Plus I think I'm staying in a hotel downtown - a completely different area than where I lived for a summer.

So what should I do? Or would it make sense to ask for things to do once I know exactly where my hotel is, since it's hard to get around?

Cheers!
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,539,663 times
If you're hungry while you're there make a trip to 9th and Figueroa and eat at The Pantry. Wonderful food and lots of it. What the establishment lacks in ambiance and sophistication it more than makes up for in quantity and quality of food.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the reply, outbacknv!

I'll be staying on the corner of Vine and Hollywood Blvd. Was thinking of checking out a Dodgers game, since I'm right next to the Red Line. I love my Cleveland public transit, but remember not having much rail during my brief time living in LA. Would I be cool taking the Red Line and transferring to either the 4 or 2/302 bus to go to a game?

Any suggestions of stuff I should see or do within walking distance? Food suggestions would be great!

Cheers!
Joe

Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,536,680 times
the dodgers might have a shuttle from union station to the stadium, that would be your best bet IMHO. you could try the sunset blvd bus, but would require a decent uphill walk. google the dodger shuttle and see if it still exists with the bankruptcy and all.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Will do!

Thoughts on good eats nearby?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,159,953 times
If you like record stores, you should go to Amoeba records near Sunset and Cahuenga, which is southwest of your hotel. It'll probably be the largest record store you've ever seen.

Amoeba Hollywood, 6400 W. Sunset Blvd

Nearby at 6000 W. Sunset is the Hollywood Forever Cemetary which might interest you. Cinespia has a very popular Saturday night movie screening at the cemetary, but you might be gone by then.

If you want to eat (& die ) like a destitute, smack-addicted, LA punk rocker, have the eponymous Oki Dog. The original on Santa Monica Blvd. is long gone, but the location at 860 N. Fairfax Ave (between Santa Monica and Melrose) will do the deed.

For local eats, plug in your hotel intersection into yelp for recommendations.

The L.A. Weekly is my bible for bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, etc. I prefer the free print version which should be easily available in Hollywood (check your lobby). New issue comes out every Thursday.

The Hollywood Bowl, up on Highland might have an event of interest.

Metro Red Line can take you to Downtown which has too many things to list. Interestingly, I heard on the radio that the Angels Flight Funicular, "The Shortest Railway in the World," just re-opened. It was closed due to unexpectedly high wheel flange wear. If you do go there, saunter across the street to the Grand Central Market for a variety of food options.

You might get more suggestions if you are more specific about your interests.

Have a better one.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the list!

I'm really up for anything, which is why I didn't really give specifics. Although I'm sure someone can find something I loathe if they try!

My hotel is right above the Red Line, so perhaps I'll take that downtown for the sake of using public transit. I also see it goes to Union Station, which has a Dodgers Shuttle, should I decide to go to the game.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 PM

940 posts, read 1,779,885 times
Take the bus to Zankou Chicken at Normandie and Sunset. Slather whatever you get in the garlic sauce and you will be in heaven.

If you're free when it's open (check the hours online), take the subway to Langer's in MacArthur Park and order the no. 19. There really is nothing like it in the whole world.

These two are not suggestions. They are commands.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 AM

397 posts, read 824,804 times
You could always check out Little Tokyo and Chinatown. Both have a stop on the Gold line (which connects to the red line at Union Station).

If you REALLY want to experience Public Transit I suggest you do the Aquarium of the Pacific. You get to ride the entire blue line all the way to Long Beach. You'll see some very interesting characters on the blue line.

Are you looking to do tourist things or general LA things? That will help us give you suggestions.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Not so much tourist stuff. I have no interest in celebrities or any of that stuff. Although if there's Amy Chaplin stuff around, that'd be awesome.

Random question, where's the park featured in 500 days of summer with the view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles