U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM

12 posts, read 20,168 times

Advertisements

Manhattan beach seems to have a decent atmosphere for raising a family from what I've been able to observe after 6 months of living in the South Bay. We currently live in South Redondo (and love it, but commute is too long to the West side).

It seems that people who live in MB love it there and stay there. Folks who don't live there have a pretty low opinion of it, and I'm not exactly sure why. If I can figure out how to post a question on City Data, I want to ask why EVERYONE says that people from Manhattan Beach are unfriendly snobs.

Is this true????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmefixit View Post
I want to ask why EVERYONE says that people from Manhattan Beach are unfriendly snobs.

Is this true????
Nope. But there are a lot of people with a lot of money. But the very "beachy" atmosphere more often than not precludes snobbish behavior. Or risk getting a volleyball spike to the head.

Going back to MB to visit my family (nice place on 1st St.) reminds that the beach is the best thing about L.A., especially when it's a short walk from your front door.

Nothing wrong with Redondo Beach, either. Spent a good deal of my childhood growing up there, in Riviera Village. Great views of the entire South Bay.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM

18,717 posts, read 27,577,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Where would you rather live and why?

Which has more diversity?

I think they're probably more or less the same. MB may have more wealthy people from Asia, India, and the Middle East who buy a second home in the US as an investment. North Redondo may have a slightly higher Hispanic population, but I'm not really sure about that.

Which is more laid back?

Redondo. People in MB tend to be more career-oriented. But, you will find plenty of laid back people in MB and plenty of career-oriented people in RB.

School wise which would be better and more friendly and welcoming?

All the schools are good. MB schools may emphasize college prep classes a little more. When I lived there everyone wanted to send their kids to American Martyrs Catholc School in MB.

Which has less congestion?

They're about the same.

Is it better being closer to LA or closer to orange county?

No opinion on this one. When I lived there I went up to LA maybe 4-5 times a year, and down to OC maybe once a year. Everything you need is right in the South Bay and life there is good--you'll find you spend most of your time right there.

Which has nicer homes with bigger yards?

MB has the most expensive homes. But as far as which are the nicest, that's really a matter of taste. I actually like the "beachy" feeling of the homes in South Redondo the best. The largest yards are in the eastern sections of both towns. The tree section of MB has some homes with nice yards. Also, check into Torrance if you want a large yard.

As an alternate thought: With your budget you might consider one of the homes on the walk streets in MB. The yards are small but the families there use the central walkway as a common play area. Also, there are plenty of parks within an easy walk--lots of places for kids to play.

Are either of these places prejudices/racist/shallow?

Racist? No. Shallow? I don't think so, but that's a subjective question. There are plenty of cultural activities, book clubs, college courses, and other such mentally stimulating activities. Also, you'll meet a lot of people with graduate degrees there, FWIW. (Although you can have a graduate degree and be shallow, LOL). Regarding the high number of people with degrees--the South Bay was once a big aerospace center. Back in the day half the people there were engineers, physicists, etc. Many of them have now moved, but the high regard for education that you find near high tech corridors remains. You'll also meet a lot of artists and authors who want to live near the ocean, and a surprising number of them have degrees out the ying yang. OTOH you will also meet plenty of people who have BAs or high school diplomas. There are lots of people who work at t-shirt shops and moved to the beach so they could surf or play volleyball all day. There's quite a mix of people there. Lots of different kinds of people like to live at the beach.

Which has more to do such as activities, parks, etc? Which has more culture?

They're about the same. There are tons of activities in the South Bay and most people tend to do things throughout the area, without considering which city it's in. In other words, if you live in RB you'll do lots of things in MB. If you live in MB you'll do lots of things in RB.

which has better air quality?

They're about the same. I suppose the northernmost sections of MB and El Porto might get a little smell from the Hyperion Plant, but mostly you notice it when you're on the strand.

Thanks
Some other notes:

Whichever beach city you choose, you really can't go wrong living in the South Bay. It's the best part of LA, IMO. I lived there for more than 20 years and LOVED it. I also lived in a few other parts of LA--they were ok, but the South Bay was by far my favorite. The only area you might be hesitant about is the section of North Redondo Beach near the Galleria. It's a nice area, but not quite as nice as the other parts of town, and it's kind of far from a lot of activities and the other areas closer to the beach.

Manhattan Beach is the wealthiest area and has the most trees. In Halloween you will see lots of kids trick or treating in the tree section of MB--but not really many kids in the RB neighborhoods (some exceptions, though, such as Hollywood Riviera). Interpret that as you wish. IMO there are more families in MB, but you will find lots of families in all of the beach cities, especially east of Sepulveda. (West of Sepulveda seems to be more for singles).

North Redondo Beach is the least expensive area. Still very nice, but it's got a little more petty crime than MB and the homes aren't as nice.

South Redondo Beach has the "beachiest" feel and the best ocean views. Kids sometimes cut school to go surfing.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-22-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,395 times
Hi I would also like to ask a question; I maybe want to stay in Manhattan Beach to follow a course, but I'm worried about racism, since I've read there is a lot of it in California. I've never experienced racism, because the city I'm from: Amsterdam, The Netherlands in Europe is totally mixed (so the average person is already from at least 2 countries, just like the ancestry of most Americans). So I may look like a Latin person, but I'm half French & half Caribbean. Would this cause problems for me in MB? Or are there places in CA (at the beach) that are more relaxed & don't give a rats ass where you're from? In Amsterdam nobody cares, we all think of each other just as people & that's it, we just live our lives all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or