U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM

430 posts, read 1,498,870 times

Advertisements

Where would you rather live and why?

Which has more diversity?
Which is more laid back?
School wise which would be better and more friendly and welcoming?
Which has less congestion?
Is it better being closer to LA or closer to orange county?
Which has nicer homes with bigger yards?
Are either of these places prejudices/racist/shallow?
Which has more to do such as activities, parks, etc?
Which has more culture?
which has better air quality?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,110,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Where would you rather live and why?

Which has more diversity?
Which is more laid back?
School wise which would be better and more friendly and welcoming?
Which has less congestion?
Is it better being closer to LA or closer to orange county?
Which has nicer homes with bigger yards?
Are either of these places prejudices/racist/shallow?
Which has more to do such as activities, parks, etc?
Which has more culture?
which has better air quality?

Thanks
Neither ...
You need to be rich to buy a home in MB and its not worth it. You need to be semi rich to live in RB and it's definitely not worth it. Both are too crowded.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM

671 posts, read 1,915,555 times
In terms of schools, Manhattan Beach is slightly better than Redondo Beach, but, they both have good schools.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Neither ...
You need to be rich to buy a home in MB and its not worth it. You need to be semi rich to live in RB and it's definitely not worth it. Both are too crowded.
I am rich, otherwise I woudn't have asked the question.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,536,680 times
they are close to equal, but overall manhattan beach is a nicer city. redondo is a larger city and covers some areas that aren't as expensive (read: further from the ocean). manhattan beach homes start around $800k for total fixers on small lots. i'd happily live in either city, but would prefer manhattan beach if money were no object.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,463,125 times
Not many affluent professionals w/families choose to live in MB

MB may be OK for singles of leisure who don't mind a crappy commute to any major offices: most workaholic, affluent singles in LA live in BH-SM corridor; are generally in finance industry so arrive at office <<6AM

Affluent family crowd gravitates to Palisades/Brentwood...can have house nr coast on >1ac lot; more efficient commute to major offices in CentCity/SM/DLA; kids attend various pvt schools anyway; most relevant restaurants/bars (esp for business dinners) are in BH area: even SM is viewed as leaving civilization for the suburban, family-oriented hinterlands of W of 405

Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I am rich, otherwise I woudn't have asked the question.
And I said its not worth it. If I'm going to pay a couple mil for a house then I want the whole package. MB does not deliver the whole package.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 AM

The reason I like MB is because it is close to the airport, close to LA the beach is clean, crime is low, high school is class, and is near everything.

My price range for a house would be 3-4 million.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,722,401 times
Quote:
The reason I like MB is because it is close to the airport, close to LA the beach is clean, crime is low, high school is class, and is near everything.

Manhattan Beach is a great place to live. I've been here for 58 years now. The poster who said affluent families don't live here is incorrect. The town is full of affluent people who have moved in from the Westside (Brentwood, Beverly Hills) to MB. There are also many people of notoriety living here such as sports figures, t.v. personalities, actors, artists, film industry execs, etc. In fact, there is quite a bit of money that has moved into the area the past 30 years.

There are those who prefer the Westside and those who prefer the South Bay. Something for everyone. I personally don't care for the Westside. The traffic during the week is the worst. However, it is a more diverse area if that is important to you.

The lots in MB are small and the homes expensive. It's a fun town if you take in what it offers. Where you commute to work and what activities you enjoy would be of concern. Other than that, living at the beach is fabulous.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:

You can get that and the "whole package" for half the price in another location. The "whole package" means there are no detractors. Manhattan beach is an island in a sea of iffy neighborhoods and its way too congested, way too many people, way overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or