U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:21 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,361,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostJoyDivision View Post
Sorry to jump in here but jethink, I think people are curious about how you plan to stay in an expensive city such as LA when you will most likely have trouble finding a non-under the table job. Are you applying for a work visa, working on becoming a legal resident? Like someone mentioned, finding work should be your biggest concern. Weather should not be on the top of your list, especially when deciding to move to another country. I don't want to darken your dream of moving to LA, but you and you and your wife should really consider all of the hardships you guys will face coming to LA with limited resources (such as no job and high cost of living). Have you considered looking into cities with lower cost if living in the United States? With that said, seriously look up the requirements for legally workimg in the US. Good luck with whatever you decide.

We already mentioned that to him and he didn't quite understand so I tried to use google translate to translate important keywords. He didn't get that either, maybe the translate wasn't as accurate. If he can't understand those things then I think he's going to have a hard time moving out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 05:21 AM

10 posts, read 11,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostJoyDivision View Post
Sorry to jump in here but jethink, I think people are curious about how you plan to stay in an expensive city such as LA when you will most likely have trouble finding a non-under the table job. Are you applying for a work visa, working on becoming a legal resident? Like someone mentioned, finding work should be your biggest concern. Weather should not be on the top of your list, especially when deciding to move to another country. I don't want to darken your dream of moving to LA, but you and you and your wife should really consider all of the hardships you guys will face coming to LA with limited resources (such as no job and high cost of living). Have you considered looking into cities with lower cost if living in the United States? With that said, seriously look up the requirements for legally workimg in the US. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Of course i've apllied for work visa hoping that i'll become a legal resident.
And i have found 2 companies and i have apllied for job.One is in Culver city and the other in Hawthorne.
That's why i asked for advices about those cities and not downtown or hollywood or anyother city.
If the salary is good enough for living there why i shouldn't go.
Also someone asked my budget and i said about 2200$ because this is the salary that one of the 2 companies offered me.
Talking about high cost of living i would appreciate if you could analyze that for me with examples such as rents (in the cities i've mentioned before) and other things not clubbing and life style.
After all i'm 30yrs married and i don't care about that.I've done that when i was younger.
Sorry for my big post.
I hope i have covered you.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethink View Post
In another forum people suggested me to look in Culver city or Hawthorne.
Any other suggestions would be greatfull.
Quote:
And i have found 2 companies and i have apllied for job.One is in Culver city and the other in Hawthorne.
That's why i asked for advices about those cities and not downtown or hollywood or anyother city.
Also someone asked my budget and i said about 2200$ because this is the salary that one of the 2 companies offered me...
Why didn't you just say that the first time when we asked you? and you never mentioned your job opportunities, instead you said people from other forums suggested those areas. I don't know how things work in Greece but it seems way different from LA and because of this you're coming across really naive and there's a lot you need to learn.

ONE company is offering you $2200 a year??? a month? bi weekly? For the 3rd time BE SPECIFIC!!! and the dollar sign goes first not last. If you can't even get that right then I don't know. What kind of work will you be doing? Don't go by that one company. Have you even gotten the job?? When do you start? Look around and see what the average salary is in your field.

If you can't be specific then I'm done.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:47 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,926,763 times
Quote:
Also someone asked my budget and i said about 2200$ because this is the salary that one of the 2 companies offered me.
Talking about high cost of living i would appreciate if you could analyze that for me with examples such as rents (in the cities i've mentioned before) and other things not clubbing and life style.
After all i'm 30yrs married and i don't care about that.I've done that when i was younger.
Sorry for my big post.
I hope i have covered you.
If $2200 is a monthy salary, then you'll need a bit more than that, even with your wife working full-time..

I would think that a decent 1 bedroom apt in a reasonable LA neighborhood will run more than $1000/month, so take that into consideration when you get job offers..

You still need to explain the $2200; it is weekly, monthly, yearly??

Old 07-04-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Why didn't you just say that the first time when we asked you? and you never mentioned your job opportunities, instead you said people from other forums suggested those areas. I don't know how things work in Greece but it seems way different from LA and because of this you're coming across really naive and there's a lot you need to learn.
You're right.Sorry,my mistake.After all,we are living in different countries with different culture.
Believe me, i'm learning fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
ONE company is offering you $2200 a year??? a month? bi weekly? For the 3rd time BE SPECIFIC!!! and the dollar sign goes first not last. If you can't even get that right then I don't know. What kind of work will you be doing? Don't go by that one company. Have you even gotten the job?? When do you start? Look around and see what the average salary is in your field.

If you can't be specific then I'm done.
Salary is monthly.I haven't got the job yet because i don't know if i can live with that salary in such as an expensive place like L.A. like other people said.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If $2200 is a monthy salary, then you'll need a bit more than that, even with your wife working full-time..

I would think that a decent 1 bedroom apt in a reasonable LA neighborhood will run more than $1000/month, so take that into consideration when you get job offers..

You still need to explain the $2200; it is weekly, monthly, yearly??
Thanks you for your advice.Now i can think what to do.
What about Hawthorne and Culver city?
Do you now those cities?
Are they safe?
What is the average salary for someone to live decent in L.A.?Not to get a rich life.
Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks you for your advice.Now i can think what to do.
What about Hawthorne and Culver city?
Do you now those cities?
Are they safe?
What is the average salary for someone to live decent in L.A.?Not to get a rich life.
Thanks again.
You don't want a salary no less than $50k (that is annual). You can keep all your monthly expenses low for example, start off with an older car (like 10 years old) and your car insurance will be lower. My car insurance is $70 full coverage where as my friend is paying $200 and both cars do the same job. It's just hers is more new and sexier. You could make it on a salary around $45k but you wouldn't be able to save as much money for a rainy day.

Culver City is fine and Hawthorne is fine. I have friends out that way, they've lived there since they were kids and have had no problems. There are some parts of both of those areas that are a bit rough. You can search it on this forum and you'll find more posts on it, which go into more detail.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 PM

$2,200 per month is not a good salary. You can live in the San Fernand Valley or Long Beach, get a real cheap 1 bedroom apartment for around $850 and get by on that salary but your money will be tight and you wont be able to build up your savings.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,926,763 times
I'll agree with Miss Pip; you'll probably need somewhere in the area of $55-60,000 for an income; hopefully your wife can help with this..

It might also help if you can get by without a car for a while; if you can find an apartment near public transportation AND near your job, that would be a huge bonus for you..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 AM

75,038 posts, read 87,459,215 times
Quote:
I didn't understand your question.
Can you be more specific please;
you have to have the job first and a company that is secure enough that you can get a permanent work visa. You can't just come to the country and expect to start looking for a job after you arrive.

I suggest you talk to the American Emabassy before you go any further with your plan. Do you have any idea how many people would like to do exactly what you want to do: come to America for a job. Do you have any idea how many people in our country, especially in Ca are looking for work?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or