U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 04:32 PM

109 posts, read 173,696 times

Advertisements

Remember when the mayor when on a big campaign to sync major arterial street lights a short while back?

How come one can't go down Lincoln/Sepulveda on the west side without hitting every to every other red light? I've noticed it on other supposedly synced major thoroughfares in the city as well.

It's more than a little annoying to sit at said red lights looking up at a little blue sign which reads "Signal Sync" and an arrow pointing forward. How hard is it to time traffic lights? Seriously, the city spent millions of dollars on this. I suppose they determined that people might actually stop running red lights and the city would miss out on additional revenue if people found out that maintaining the speed limit would result in avoiding them.

I'm reminded of his big publicity play to fill a zillion (or something) potholes. There are more potholes now on the city's streets than anytime I can remember.

This is one of those little things that help add up to a cumulative negative perception of the people running the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 PM

362 posts, read 724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
Remember when the mayor when on a big campaign to sync major arterial street lights a short while back?

How come one can't go down Lincoln/Sepulveda on the west side without hitting every to every other red light? I've noticed it on other supposedly synced major thoroughfares in the city as well....
Don't get me started... This is one of the most frustrating things about the traffic here.

In many other major cities, the lights function sequentially such that the flow of traffic maintains.

Not here. Here -- you get the green, then approach the next block light turning red... nice.

The city is probably utilizing some archaic traffic pattern algorithm and is either too cash-strapped and/or (probably both) inept to deal with today's traffic...

Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 PM

390 posts, read 612,265 times
It costs money to do and keep up. CA is broke, and it's just one of the things being neglected.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM

109 posts, read 173,696 times
Does it have to cost a lot? Couldn't it simply be done by setting timers in order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles