U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:01 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,738,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
DewDropInn, I'm not entirely sure I can pull off a small hat w/ a veil, but I'm certainly open to trying it if I see one! I'll keep it mind. Thanks!
Well, the hat would probably be hard to find so not to worry. But definitely something in the hair. With the royal wedding fascinators are absolutely in. If you want to be more conservative a pretty rhinestone hair pin or clip. And you can get those fairly cheaply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,558,044 times
Movie Premieres don't usually take place on the lot, do they? Maybe, its a screening. If it's on the lot I wouldn't get too dressed up. Just look cool and current.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Movie Premieres don't usually take place on the lot, do they? Maybe, its a screening. If it's on the lot I wouldn't get too dressed up. Just look cool and current.
That's what I was wondering. OP: Ask the people who invited you to give you more of a clue on just what it is. How big an event. I'd also try and find out who will be there. (I'd be comfortable in a dress if DH is wearing jeans and a sports coat, but I tend to dress up for things. Old school.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-01-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,527,254 times
Well, this is what it says:

The event will take place on __________ at the Cary Grant Theater on the Sony Pictures Studios lot -10202 West Washington Boulevard in Culver City. Red carpet arrivals begin at _____ and the film will begin promptly at _____. A reception will immediately follow the screening.

(and earlier, it says that I'm cordially invited to the premiere of the movie)

But, yeah, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and ask my producers, who invited me. I wanted to appear more knowledgeable about these things than I actually am. You'd think they'd mention it in the invite!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,558,044 times
Quote:
Well, this is what it says:

The event will take place on __________ at the Cary Grant Theater on the Sony Pictures Studios lot -10202 West Washington Boulevard in Culver City. Red carpet arrivals begin at _____ and the film will begin promptly at _____. A reception will immediately follow the screening.

(and earlier, it says that I'm cordially invited to the premiere of the movie)

But, yeah, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and ask my producers, who invited me. I wanted to appear more knowledgeable about these things than I actually am. You'd think they'd mention it in the invite!
It's a screening. Just look hip and like you have another cool party to go after this one.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,252 times
Quote:
Thanks guys! Looks like I need to go shopping! (I thought Miss Pip was just being facetious, by the way.)

Anyone know of somewhere, in LA, that I can get an inexpensive designer dress? Like on consignment or something? I'm also thinking about wearing something from stopstaring.com, since I love their dresses, but never have anywhere to wear one too. Until now.

It's at the Cary Grant Theater in the Sony Lot, by the way. And it's NOT "Zookeeper," thank god, heh.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/790...67A24CDF7E482C

My husband might be right about the jeans! (that was taken at the Cary Grant Theater)

I, apparently, also need a tiny clutch purse... as a couple of my friends have already told me. I guess my "mom bag" isn't going to cut it, hee hee.
you can get a expensive designer dress in santa monica, rodeo drive, beverly center, Downtown LA, Melrose ave., Hollywood, South Coast Plaza, Fashion Island

Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
It's a screening. Just look hip and like you have another cool party to go after this one.
Thanks! Will do!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Hey laysayfair, I have another question. You sound like you've been to these things before.

Will I be walking down the red carpet? Or is that something that's just for celebrities? Will people be taking pictures of me and asking me who I am?

I have absolutely no idea of how this thing is going to go down, and I'm hoping to get a "lay of the land" beforehand.

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:02 PM

559 posts, read 1,159,104 times
Wouldn't Santee Alley in DTLA have everything you need, including knock-off designer dresses, at a deep discount? The sheer number of clothing, accessories, perfume, t-shirt and hat shops in the fashion/garment district is astounding.

Purses and accessories can probably be scrounged up at a thrift store. It's probably where the cool kids get their stuff anyway.

Or, you could dust off and oil your Bernina, dig up your McCall's and Butterick patterns and DIY.

p.s. There are sewing machine dealers in DTLA as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM

I asked for a second opinion from someone in the business: L.A. dress-up-casual. Got-it-together, thrift store chic with an attitude would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles