U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 PM

199 posts, read 431,800 times

Advertisements

Haha, the dress sounds fab! And I like that you did the eyelashes and chignon. Well done!

And I think women tend to dress up a bit more in general for events than men. Just my opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:12 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,527,819 times
I can't remember if I already wrote this or not, but I ended up going to Ulta to have my makeup done by a "professional." I never wear foundation, but figured I should this time to even out my skin tone.

Well, the professional had me looking like a, well, "Professional". A professional tranny! Nothing wrong with trannies... just not the look I was going for.

I brought in 3 sets of false eyelashes, and they picked the most ridiculous ones to use ("Trust me!" she said when I protested). I told her I wanted to look as natural as possible. To use makeup to even out my skin tone, but I didn't want it to look like I was wearing foundation. She slathered it on. It sunk into lines I've never seen before and I instantly looked about 15 years older than I am (and I usually look about 10-15 years YOUNGER than I am).

I paid $40 for this travesty. Never NEVER again! I ended up going to Target, bought cheap makeup and mixed it in with my moisturizer (after washing my face about 3 times to get everything she put on me off). Perfect! I also bought and used a bronzer to do some contouring. I actually watched a video, online, on how to do it. (put on some big sunglasses. Dip your large brush into the bronzer, and apply under the sunglasses. Then little at your temples, nose, chin.) It looked really good! I got the lashes (that I ended up using) from MAC. They're perfect "60s" lashes. Not too long, but thick.

I also bought some Sally Hanson spray stuff that you spray on your legs to make you look like you have a tan. I'm very pale. I figured I'd just wash it off if it looked bad.

It. Looked. Amazing.

I got the palest color and it barely made my skin darker, but it made my skin look SUPER smooth! My legs almost looked like I had nylons on. I ended up putting it all over (made my husband rub it all over my back which he did without comment, hee hee. He also didn't remark about the Spanx I was wearing. Smart man.). It didn't rub off on my clothes, looked very natural, and added a bit of a sparkle to my skin. I highly HIGHLY recommend! I'd wear it every day if I could. It was this stuff: Amazon.com: Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Light Glow 4.4 oz. Leg Makeup: Beauty

I also bought this to use for my hair: Amazon.com: Goody Simple Styles Modern Updo Pin, Colors will vary 1 ea: Beauty

I didn't really think it would work since I'm not great with using hair pieces, but it looked amazing on the first try! Highly recommend that, too. I just back-combed my (shoulder-length) hair a bit and then followed the directions.

Anyway, all that was for anyone who was interested and might be attending some fancy LA shindig where it's important to look good without trying too hard. What I liked about everything was it all took a while to put together (from the Spanx to the hair to the eyelashes/makeup), but overall, it was a "Oh this? I just threw this together!" look. Which is what I was going for.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM

22 posts, read 24,382 times
So fun to read all your posts! I'm going to go find that Sally Hansen leg spray stuff! Sounds interesting!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 PM

378 posts, read 660,660 times
The Sally Hansen stuff is amazing. I use it every time I have to wear a dress.

I'm glad you had such a fun time! I've done the red carpet movie premiere thing myself; it's one of those things everyone should do at least once in their life for the fun of it, if they get the chance. It really is a hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles