U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM

219 posts, read 570,382 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I was just wondering what you could tell me about the Woodland Hills and Sherman Oaks neighborhoods? Are they pretty safe? Affordable? I really liked their location and was hoping that they might be the place for me! Could you tell me what an average rent would be in that area? For 1/2/3 BR apartments? Thank you all so much, you've been incredibly helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:01 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,466,305 times
Sherman Oaks: The neighborhood is easily divided into 3 parts.

South of Ventura Blvd. is the wealthiest. Mostly single family homes and luxury apartment complexes. That area is populated by families and the elderly.

The area north of Ventura Blvd. and South of the 101 Freeway is mostly mid size apartment complexes and smaller homes. This area is mostly populated by young professionals, young families, and middle class immigrants from the Middle East. Average one bedroom rent is anywhere from $1000-$1500 and 2 bedrooms from $1200-$1800.

The area north of the 101 is ok (more like the area between Freeway and Ventura) until you reach Magnolia. North of Magnolia is more like Van Nuys and not as nice. The population here seem to be mostly immigrants.

Woodland Hills:

A really nice area of the Valley. The only drawback is it is a bit farther from the Westside and then Hollywood and Downtown. There are a lot of newer apartment complexes and homes. The apartment complexes are more suburban, like think resort style, lower rise with a lot of amenities such as gym, pool, tennis court, etc. Sherman Oaks is more urban. Average 1 bedroom rents in Woodland Hills are between $1000-$1500 with more on the lower end. Two bedrooms around $1200-$1800 with more on the lower end.

What are your other specifications besides budget? Like what type of area would you like?

Sherman Oaks is definitely more city like and Woodland Hills suburban, though it is LA suburban so it might still seem urban to people from smaller cities.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm really liking the sound of Woodland Hills. I will either be moving out there with my boyfriend in which case we'd like a 1BR around 1,000 to 1,200. If we move out there with a friend we'd like a 3br for 1,500 to 1,800. Do you think that is possible? It sounds like it from your description so far. We really want the type of neighborhood where things are going on. Parks and a nice walking district with bars and restaurants, that sort of thing. It doesn't have to be the fanciest place but we kind of want to move to where the action is, in a sense. What do you think? Thank you for your help!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM

63 posts, read 132,021 times
Is there any particular reason Tarzana and Encino are not on your list? Based on your last post, Encino and Tarzana near the "Safari walk" might fit you as well

Old 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM

3 bed for that price might be a bit too low. But you could get a 2 bed for that. Woodland Hills is not very walkable to bars/restaurants. There are a lot of restuarants and a few bars, but they are more spread out than in Sherman Oaks. In Sherman Oaks, along Ventura Blvd. there are a ton of restaurants and bars to walk to providing you live close enough to Ventura.

Woodland Hills is distinctly more suburban, but it does have a lot of people in their 20s and 30s living there.

If you go to google maps, zoom into either neighborhood and type "bar" or "restaurant" into the search option and it will show you where everything is located.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgatoloco View Post
Is there any particular reason Tarzana and Encino are not on your list? Based on your last post, Encino and Tarzana near the "Safari walk" might fit you as well
Encino and Tarzana in my opinion are family oriented and boring for people my age.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM

I have heard that Tarzana is not a very "fun" place to live but I suppose that depends on your definition of fun. I'm moving there from Iowa so the change of pace alone is probably going to supply me with all the fun I need, at least for the first year or so. Woodland Hills isn't very walkable? Darn.. that is disappointing. I thought I read somewhere else along these posts that it was.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Woodland Hills has sidewalks everywhere. You can definitely walk places. It just isn't that conducive to walking to the store, restaurant, bar, etc. Things are a bit more spread out. There's a cluster of bars on Ventura and Canoga, but you will have to drive there if you live more than 3/4 of a mile I would imagine. Plus, that puts you far from restaurants near the Topanga Canyon Mall. So it's a tradeoff.

Woodland Hills is pretty urban/suburban. People definitely walk places, but it is still necessary to drive most places.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,559,792 times
Sherman Oaks or Studio City. Young, lively and walkable along Ventura Blvd.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Are they pretty safe neighborhoods would you say??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or